ISO pics of front FJ62 doors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sschruff

Make PSILOCYBIN legal for TBI/PTSD/TRA&D
Threads
I think I'm correct in saying the 62 has some sort of brace inside the front doors to reduce mirror shake (compared to the 60). Looking for some pics of that brace or generally speaking, the inside mount location for 62 mirrors. Hoping to caveman draw something and have a friend starting working on something for the 60 while she's deconstructed.

Thanks-
Shane

I mounted genuine Toyota FJ62 mirrors on my 60 in 1989 and they never shook for the 28 years I had them installed. Or if they did, I definitely never noticed it. Not a problem on thousands of miles of jackhammer dirt roads either

I mounted genuine Toyota FJ62 mirrors on my 60 in 1989 and they never shook for the 28 years I had them installed. Or if they did, I definitely never noticed it. Not a problem on thousands of miles of jackhammer dirt roads either
Same here. Manual FJ62 mirrors are rock solid in my 1983 FJ60.

So I'm guessing the PO put non-OEM mirrors on my 60 - didn't think to check - but the vibrational shake is significant. I'm putting a new set of mirrors on the 60 during her rebuild and I remember reading somewhere 60 mirrors tend to vibrate vs. 62 mirrors.

I'll mount the new ones and address the problem if it arises.

Appreciate the feedback from both of you-

Shane

My '87 FJ60 mirrors shook the entire time I owned the truck. Total crap as far as visibility, shake, etc. FJ62 mirrors are superior.

There is no brace inside a 62 door for the mirror.

Man, sad to hear that - I was under the impression there was a mounting plate/brace or something of the sort different on the 62 vs. the 60. Sounds like a job for @TRAIL TAILOR !

never had the mirror frame/body move around, the mirror glass gets shaky in the housing, a small nerf ball behind the mirror does wonders. it is almost always the driver door as it gets open and shut the most.

Good advice 3puppies. However, when someone specifies OEM FJ62 mirrors, I automatically assume the motorized power version that I believe are original equipment on native 1988-90 FJ62’s. I’m getting the impression from previous posts that there may be an inadvertent and interchangeable use of motorized vs. nonmotorized OEM versions. So what type FJ62 (fixed vs. motorized) versions are we discussing as having vibration or nonvibration issues?
As most know, finding any OEM FJ62 mirrors are difficult to obtain in the U.S. market. Cruiser Corps has Power & NonPower aftermarket versions. I can tell you that after 30 years of grocery-getting usage on my 88FJ62, the OEM power mirrors DEMANDED replacement. IM NOT COMPLAINING...30 years of Superior performance is commendable and one will be hard pressed to find an aftermarket power version of similar nonvibration attributes.

there was a poverty pack 62 series in the US, no power mirrors, no power windows, I know they were available in 1988 and 1989 as I bought a parts 1989 poverty pack rig a few years ago.

the mirror I was talking about was the power version.

Related: I took apart my motorized OEM mirror (stock from 1989) and a new, manual Toyota FJ62 mirror. The manual mirror had a far beefier adjustment surface, and should last a lot longer. The guts of my OEM mirror were shaky and loose, and the chrome was peeling - which were enough reasons for me to get the Toyota manual mirrors. They are rock solid, and of course, the chrome looks like new.

What this all points to is that if you want a rock-solid mirror, be sure it's a Toyota mirror (manual or power).

My 62 mirrors were genuine Toyota manual 62 mirrors. I purchased them in 1989.
The driver's mirror finally bit the dust after 30 years as the inside plastic bracket that holds the thing together began to crumble due to age. Plastic became very brittle.
I then went the cheapo route and bought a pair of those cheap 62 knockoffs you can get for $100. While they definitely aren't built as stout as the originals, they do look great and those didn't rattle either. The chromed plastic I don't think is as robust either. I expect them to look like crap in six years.

Good advice 3puppies. However, when someone specifies OEM FJ62 mirrors, I automatically assume the motorized power version that I believe are original equipment on native 1988-90 FJ62’s. I’m getting the impression from previous posts that there may be an inadvertent and interchangeable use of motorized vs. nonmotorized OEM versions. So what type FJ62 (fixed vs. motorized) versions are we discussing as having vibration or nonvibration issues?
As most know, finding any OEM FJ62 mirrors are difficult to obtain in the U.S. market. Cruiser Corps has Power & NonPower aftermarket versions. I can tell you that after 30 years of grocery-getting usage on my 88FJ62, the OEM power mirrors DEMANDED replacement. IM NOT COMPLAINING...30 years of Superior performance is commendable and one will be hard pressed to find an aftermarket power version of similar nonvibration attributes.

Great post/reply - informative. I'm utilizing ICON's mirrors on my build. Aside from reading the shake disclaimer on the ICON mirror product page, I've read about it previously. My 60 mirrors, which I believe are 62 knock-offs, shake enough to make me think my coffee is laced with psilocybin - not saying that's necessarily a bad thing! My body guy basically said what was mentioned previously - if the problem arrises, we'll address it. Since we're gutting the doors for the repaint, I wanted to get ahead of the problem...or hypothetical problem.

I'll update in 2-3 months we she's reassembled and road tested.

Thanks for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom