Replumbing previously deleted rear heater in an FJ62 at the firewall, searching for actual pics instead of diagrams (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
You read it, I’m replumbing the deleted rear heater, with the pipes and heater currently still in place. However, I have yet to find clear pictures of the firewall showing me where everything is supposed to go, I would graciously accept any crumbs someone has to offer. I also don’t know why it was deleted in the first place, the pipes look rusty on the outside but I didn’t feel any obvious bulges or leaky points. I would like to use the same pipes and/or core as long as I can find a way to “pressure?” test them, has anyone accomplished this feat?

I’ll shoot some for you in about an hour or so.

Are your lines still good? One of the PO's on my 62 did the rear heater delete, I've been contemplating re-installing it but the hardlines and rubber tubes are all toast, I would have to get all new parts from the engine back to the heater, not sure if it's worth the hassle.

They are all intact and working as they should.
This what you need?

image.jpg

image.jpg

@RevISK, I appreciate it as that does help! This is what I have currently, I think I from your picture it looks like the forward-most rear facing capped pipe should run to the inner firewall pipe and the rear-most facing horizontal pipe should go to the outermost firewall pipe. @matmattmatthew, I’m hoping at least one of the two are still good, either the original firewall/underbody pipes, the heater core, or both (maybe the leak was benign?). I’ve seen a few used heater cores and whole piping sets, but I also read somewhere how you can actually run new hosing the whole way from the firewall back to the rear heater connections and just clamp it to the originals for securement so that’s an option. I guess figuring out what’s good and what’s bad will be my current challenge, are you thinking of doing the same?

IMG_3703.jpeg

@RevISK, I appreciate it as that does help! This is what I have currently, I think I from your picture it looks like the forward-most rear facing capped pipe should run to the inner firewall pipe and the rear-most facing horizontal pipe should go to the outermost firewall pipe. @matmattmatthew, I’m hoping at least one of the two are still good, either the original firewall/underbody pipes, the heater core, or both (maybe the leak was benign?). I’ve seen a few used heater cores and whole piping sets, but I also read somewhere how you can actually run new hosing the whole way from the firewall back to the rear heater connections and just clamp it to the originals for securement so that’s an option. I guess figuring out what’s good and what’s bad will be my current challenge, are you thinking of doing the same?

View attachment 3441827
Happy to help. Let me know if you need any others or want to FaceTime or something.

Realizing I should probably clean the girl’s bits before showing them off.

I bypassed mine a few years ago, only to reduce the number of hoses/failure points. Which is to say I have a good rear heater core if you need one. It's actually still installed but I'll be removing it soon. PM if you need parts.

@RevISK, that would probably be helpful, I’ll hit you up, and no judgment on the bits. @toy_tek I may need just that, I’ll know for sure in a couple weeks, luck willing

I did this a long time ago. Being in TX we dont need enough heat to justify that under the seat heater. I would rather have the storage space. Takes out several points of failure as well. I have lived in MN and would think you might want to keep it. Anyway, took mine out before I recarpeted some years back. Good pics of the routing you have to do on both side of the engine in this thread.

When I bought the truck I didn't even realize the rear heater wasn't hooked up, I bought it in late spring so I wasn't really running the heat. Also, about 95% of the time it's just me in the truck so I wasn't too worried about having heat to the rear. But I'm in the process of taking my whole truck apart to remove the body and do a fairly extensive renovation. I wasn't planning on re-doing the rear heater but now I feel like if I'm going through the time and cost to restore 80-90% of the truck I should just make the rear heater functional again. The only reason I'm considering not re-installing it is because all the plumbing from the engine to the actual heater unit isn't salvageable and I'm pretty sure OEM tubes and fittings are unobtanium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom