Is this worth it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sure, it's not an FZJ, but if you dedicate the wrench time, it'll be an awesome project and trail truck. How do you plan on using the truck? Do you even want the 3rd row seating? What about 2nd row seating? Do you plan on sleeping out of it? These questions will determine how you want to configure your interior.

I think an engine rebuild is a necessity. Do it right the first time. Get the drive train in order, make sure all safety stuff is squared away (brakes, windshield, etc), and try it out on Route 50. If you break down before Fallon, you can still get help pretty easily ;P I would check those roof rack rails. Looks like the driver side one is bent. Make sure there is no roof damage. It's doesnt need to be pretty, it just needs to be reliable. Looking forward to your resto thread!

I have looked at the pictures three times, The body & interior look to be in better shape then most you see in the 5k range. what I see is mostly dirt, offer $800.00 ( the last buyer backed out) and get that thing home. A wash and a vacuum and it's worth $2500.00 Have you seen the prices lately ?
Worst case you part it out, but I don't see that.
PS the first thing I did is throw out my third row seats. ;)

Last edited:
I can definitely see why people remove the third row seats. I have a couple kids so the 2nd row seats would probably need to stay.

I agree there's a lot of dirt so I'm hoping for a quick win by cleaning it up, a lot of cleaning.

I did see the rail too. I'll look for that.

I was thinking the rebuild too so I think that's the route I'll be going for now.

I think you made a good buy. If it is truly rust-free, dry, western truck, then the $1000 is a very good price. You can part it out for $1000 easy. I have spent the last three years restoring your truck's brother. I love it!!!!! Please put lots of photos and updates here on mud. I bought a Bakersfield, CA, one owner, 125k mile FJ80 that was sun faded and pretty tired but ran well and had been mechanically sorted. It was shipped to a dealer/enthusiast in the midwest where there are zero native Land Cruisers without rust issues. I paid way too much for it because I could see the potential and I did not have to ship it. I have now spent WAY too much money on bringing it back but we love it. It is done and is nearly perfect except for the sun-faded paint. One day it may get a repaint but I frankly bought it for that weathered finish. I think it looks great.

It is true that a later FZJ80 is more desirable to the market now, but I think there is a wonderful charm about these first two years of 80s. That leather is an upgrade done by a dealer as none came with OEM leather. It may clean up very well as it is mostly vinyl. Your truck looks to be completely dent/rust free so it should clean up well with a bath and some hand buffing. I carefully restored and painted my faded fender flares and installed new molding/pads under them (available here on MUD)

Before you start tinkering, I would spend a week scrubbing to get a cosmetic base line to see if it is worth a new engine or major work. Please join our 3FE group here on MUD. Those guys seem to be very knowledgable about the "least desirable" 80 series. The inconsistent flare paint peeling indicates that it has had some paint work over the years. That could be a factor as you clean and polish the original paint. Send more pics!!!!

I actually purchased a second FJ80 as I found parts were a little pricey and hard to obtain. Toyota still carries many items but some have to come from salvage/donor trucks. It was cheaper to buy an entire truck to get the bumpers and interior parts I needed for my restoration. The donor rig ended up being a great running truck as well and my son used it for a couple years.

Enjoy your new truck. I think a nice original style FJ80 is now a standout in a world modified Land Cruisers so one day these will be appreciated for their basic appeal. Feel free to reach out as I have dealt with many issues during my restoration/preservation project.

A quick google search finds two or three first gen FJ80's for sale right now. They are all original trucks that probably looked a lot like your truck a few months ago. Prices are crazy high but they are nice original 80's.

RKTINC

FEB21000-6675-4917-B326-EAFC4534C0C8_1_201_a.jpeg

474517A6-B0C3-4FCD-850D-92565C20780A_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
I think you made a good buy. If it is truly rust-free, dry, western truck, then the $1000 is a very good price. You can part it out for $1000 easy. I have spent the last three years restoring your truck's brother. I love it!!!!! Please put lots of photos and updates here on mud. I bought a Bakersfield, CA, one owner, 125k mile FJ80 that was sun faded and pretty tired but ran well and had been mechanically sorted. It was shipped to a dealer/enthusiast in the midwest where there are zero native Land Cruisers without rust issues. I paid way too much for it because I could see the potential and I did not have to ship it. I have now spent WAY too much money on bringing it back but we love it. It is done and is nearly perfect except for the sun-faded paint. One day it may get a repaint but I frankly bought it for that weathered finish. I think it looks great.

It is true that a later FZJ80 is more desirable to the market now, but I think there is a wonderful charm about these first two years of 80s. That leather is an upgrade done by a dealer as none came with OEM leather. It may clean up very well as it is mostly vinyl. Your truck looks to be completely dent/rust free so it should clean up well with a bath and some hand buffing. I carefully restored and painted my faded fender flares and installed new molding/pads under them (available here on MUD)

Before you start tinkering, I would spend a week scrubbing to get a cosmetic base line to see if it is worth a new engine or major work. Please join our 3FE group here on MUD. Those guys seem to be very knowledgable about the "least desirable" 80 series. The inconsistent flare paint peeling indicates that it has had some paint work over the years. That could be a factor as you clean and polish the original paint. Send more pics!!!!

I actually purchased a second FJ80 as I found parts were a little pricey and hard to obtain. Toyota still carries many items but some have to come from salvage/donor trucks. It was cheaper to buy an entire truck to get the bumpers and interior parts I needed for my restoration. The donor rig ended up being a great running truck as well and my son used it for a couple years.

Enjoy your new truck. I think a nice original style FJ80 is now a standout in a world modified Land Cruisers so one day these will be appreciated for their basic appeal. Feel free to reach out as I have dealt with many issues during my restoration/preservation project.

RKTINC

View attachment 2570760

View attachment 2570743
Amen! The 3fe is a reliable and a decent performer in tune (consider desmog if you can) and the early 80s have a great classic look - no tint, Spartan goods, etc. my first lc was a 3fe and I went right back to another.

The fact that I see all 4 Original Hubcaps Means a lot, It wasn't ridin that hard

Can't wait to see post soap, water, vacuum photos.

I’d buy it for $1000 for sure. Even if the motor was missing.
It basically is missing, I'll post some more updates later but I've now picked it up and am heading home with it. It's going to need a lot of TLC for sure. This was a rescue of love.

I'm excited for the new adventure I'm getting myself into. Stay tuned for updates.
16121181893891446387657448368172.jpg

A quick google search finds two or three first gen FJ80's for sale right now. They are all original trucks that probably looked a lot like your truck a few months ago. Prices are crazy high but they are nice original 80's.

RKTINC

View attachment 2570760

View attachment 2570743
Thanks and I'm looking forward to getting to know all this vehicle has to offer. I already know the Landcruiser group is first class and full of knowledge. I like yours, looks super clean.

I also know we all like pics, so I'll definitely be taking and posting tons of pictures and videos as I can. Maybe start my own video channel log of me doing the work on it.

nice congrats. I would have bought it too.

• it does need engine work (possibly full rebuild)...
    • An OEM shortblock is $3700...
  • oil dipstick suggests bad head gasket...
    • A head gasket job, independent of the engine rebuild, is $1600
  • was told front differential needs work as it has back lash,
    • Front axle rebuild, without a front diff rebuild, is $1800... so add another $1000 for parts & labor to rebuild the diff?
  • gauge fuse keeps blowing was told it caused by a bad oil pressure switch (have new one, just haven't put it in)...
    • $$$
  • it needs quite a bit of work to make it driveable but the body is solid, only rust I've seen is on the bumper...
    • That's great news... starting with a professional level detail would be great to level set where the body, paint, etc are would be a good start
  • needs new catalytic converter, water pump and windshield...
    • Which cat? A muffler shop can weld in new cats for $600 or you can mix/match and use the magnaflow y-pipe + cat replacement ($500) plus a weld-in cat ($300 ish)
  • cosmetic work like reupholster seats and paint...
    • The upholstery is going to be spendy ($1500+ depending what material you use... I'd consider cloth) and paint work will be $$$ ($5K+ for a decent respray + rust repair)
  • bracket one of the back seats needs replaced
    • As posted elsewhere... maybe just ditch it?
  • brakeline near passenger rear wheel has a leak...
    • New brake line set is $300 or so
Good luck!

How many miles? No pics of frame? Triple Locked? I’m guessing in NV frame is good. For a $1000 it’s probably a great deal if underbelly is good. The axles, drivetrain are worth that, or as a parts truck for something better. If you enjoy the work then buy it and restore it. the engine spent could be a good thing, pull it and put something better...diesel? I’d try and have 15 k saved and keep adding stuff tell u run out of time, money. 15 will get u a nice truck and last a long time.

I'm not necessarily trying to turn this around and make a $ on it. I just meant will I have too much into this than it's worth where I could just buy something else for more money and be better off saving my money.

My goal is to have a running driving 80 that I can enjoy eventually and take out on the trail from time to time.

Thanks for the info. It's always welcome.
Make sure you check with @Deathvalleypaul as you need parts - he’s a 3fe fan too, if I recall! @slow95z is also a great part source, though he is over this way in GA

I would love to have that Cruiser for $1000. With a good bath, maintenance done to make it driveable, and stripped interior, it will be a really nice ride. While the 3FE doesn't have the power of the 1FZFE, you can offset that by making the Cruiser lighter. Heavy armor will only make a slow truck slower.

I bought one that was a grade or two better than that in 2017 for just over $2k. I determined that I wasn't going to restore it. I wanted it to fix-and-flip, then decided i needed it for teenagers and a trail rig. That saved me a ton of money. It sat mostly unused for a year or so. I ripped off the broken parts and parts that would cost too much to correct, and it's been running daily since 2019. There's a sliding scale of cost. If it's going to be your family's daily driver and primary vehicle, it's going to take a lot more money. If it just needs to be reliable so you can "overland" in it and send it on the trails, that's a different set of specs. After I was done with my upgrades and repairs I had put about $2k more into it. I got an offer that summer for $6k cash. That might have been crazy, but there was someone crazy enough to do it. If I had refreshed the seats, rebuilt the engine, etc., etc., I wouldn't be able to get my money back out of it.

As-is when purchased:
20170209_082156.jpg

Accepted it for what it was and made it functional:
20210123_134209 (1).jpg

IMG_20200625_185633.jpg

Bottom line: I think that by spending another $1000 or so on something with a good engine you can get more out of it than if you have to swap the engine. Of course, if you can get a replacement for near that....it's all about what your goals are. I was going to do some fixes and sell it. I did some fixes and kept it. I'm pretty happy.

Edit: Just saw you bought it already. Congratulations! Now, figure out what you can do with your budget and adjust your sights. My 2 cents.

I bought one that was a grade or two better than that in 2017 for just over $2k. I determined that I wasn't going to restore it. I wanted it to fix-and-flip, then decided i needed it for teenagers and a trail rig. That saved me a ton of money. It sat mostly unused for a year or so. I ripped off the broken parts and parts that would cost too much to correct, and it's been running daily since 2019. There's a sliding scale of cost. If it's going to be your family's daily driver and primary vehicle, it's going to take a lot more money. If it just needs to be reliable so you can "overland" in it and send it on the trails, that's a different set of specs. After I was done with my upgrades and repairs I had put about $2k more into it. I got an offer that summer for $6k cash. That might have been crazy, but there was someone crazy enough to do it. If I had refreshed the seats, rebuilt the engine, etc., etc., I wouldn't be able to get my money back out of it.

As-is when purchased:View attachment 2572142

Accepted it for what it was and made it functional:
View attachment 2572143
View attachment 2572146

Bottom line: I think that by spending another $1000 or so on something with a good engine you can get more out of it than if you have to swap the engine. Of course, if you can get a replacement for near that....it's all about what your goals are. I was going to do some fixes and sell it. I did some fixes and kept it. I'm pretty happy.

Edit: Just saw you bought it already. Congratulations! Now, figure out what you can do with your budget and adjust your sights. My 2 cents.
Nice I like your 80 looks real nice. Yeah, if I'm honest I probably already knew I would buy it, but everything had to line up which it did so I'm happy. I still don't have a budget/plan for it, but its home with me now and I have time to figure that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom