Is this thing lifted? What shocks? How much? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I enclosed a picture of my 1974 FJ40 that currently has 32 X11.5 -15 tires on it.  I am not sure if this rig has been lifted and thought maybe you could tell by the picture.  The tires do not rub at all at full turning.  If you can determine the lift - if at all - what is it so I know when I research shocks - since the original shocks ride like rebar I am looking to get new ones and wonder what is best (Bilsteins seem popular) and what is a good resource to find reliable / affordable shocks.  Any tricks to removing / installing?  Thank

looks like shackle lift alone in which case, you'll be lucky if it's an inch over stock, but considering how the tires fit in the cut out rear fenders, i'd say it's basically stock height.

I'd have to say stock too. I've attached a pic of mine on stock springs/shackles and 31's.

268833_39_full.jpg

I'm guessing your shackles are what's lifting it, I have 6 inch shackles (from eye to eye) and I believe stock shackles are 2" for eye to eye.

Nice Rig.

- Rico.

Is it just the angle of the picture, or are those shackles at 90 degrees to the ground, Matt?

No...the shackles look like that..is that bad...every time someone notices something on the rig it costs $200 and some skin off my knuckles

Well, my OEM style springs and shackles (except mine are greasable) are at about 60 degrees to the ground. I wondered about yours, because if they are at 90 degrees, they probably are stuck at that angle. Shackles should swing freely, and would be at 90 degrees only when the spring is unloaded. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, here So. Perhaps your shackle bolts are over-tightened, and you need to loosen them up. Perhaps they are just rusted into position, or the shackle bushings are just old and have "fused" to do this.

At any rate, what I am thinking is that maybe your shocks aren't your problem, and if you just get your shackles swinging properly, your ride will be a lot more comfortable. And it would only cost you $20 for new bushings and some elbow grease. (Well, and some all purpose lithium grease, too).

If you have the original shocks, I'm pretty sure their toast by now. Dave's right on the shackles, mine were like that years ago when I bought my truck. Those look like aftermarket, maybe Conferr, follow Dave's suggestions and change the shocks, it will improve the ride.
BTW, it's probably gonna run $200 and definitely will skin some knuckles, but still a one :banana: job.

I bet those are extended shackles. And those are some board flat springs. I bet 4x4 posts would ride better. I'm sensing a SJ 4" lift here..... :D

That's how my new OEM (no lift) springs look. No arch. I'm not certain that indicates any problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom