Is there any point in periodically changing power steering fluid? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I flushed my brakes but not the power steering.
Any point in flushing the power steering?

In way of explanation:
We travel full time. Only have this one car (and an RV). Going to the shop unexpectedly is really a PITA. Finding a good shop that you can trust and that can get you in can take a week or more.

Worst case for us is at least 100 miles and less than 1000 miles on dusty/washboard roads like you find in Death Valley etc. Only off road to get places not for the sake of offroading. Very seldom cross water, never up to the oil pan.

PS fluid does wear out and gets contaminated.

For ease, you can just use a bulb (below) and suck out down to the bottom of the reservoir and replace. Run it and do the same again. Use Synthetic Trans Dex when replacing NOT PS fluid. (Specs on top of RS Reservoir)

If you really want to get good, you or mechanic can install a Transmission Oil Microfilter in the return line and you'll have everything you need for PS pump longevity.

1615073065348.png

It's easy to do and the fluid does get contaminated over time. Once you have it flushed and clean you can just empty the reservoir when you do an oil change and refill, as a way to keep it fresh. I use my Mightyvac vacuum brake bleeder which came with an attachment for removing fluids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom