Is the TRD supercharger really that bad for the 4.7? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific. I know TRD stopped making the 4.7 Supercharger years ago. I don't care if the supercharger says TRD on it. I'm just curious whether or not the stock USD 4.7 can handle a bit of boost.

My point was that the TRD supercharger was designed to fit pre vvti engines (not your 2005 Tundra engine). I don’t know of any other supercharger for the 2UZ.

For anyone wanting to get a super charger. Magnuson, who made TRD superchargers, makes one for the 4.7.

Edit: apparently this is no longer listed on their website. Sorry to get peoples hopes up.

Last edited:
Are the internals really forged stock? If so im going to turbo this bitch so fasttttttt.
There's a nice little spot in front of the muffler next to the transfer case that maybe a rear-mount turbo could be squeezed in with a custom y-pipe. I think that's a long-term goal of mine. TC are so much better than SC especially when climbing up in elevation.

My point was that the TRD supercharger was designed to fit pre vvti engines (not your 2005 Tundra engine). I don’t know of any other supercharger for the 2UZ.
So what :) where there's a will, there's a way.

The TRD supercharger is not designed to fit your 2005 vvti engine.

I remember coming across a post on one of the tundra sites that someone successfully installed one on a vvti tundra. I don't recall if any mods where needed.

@Tundra Garnet
I installed my trd blower around 200k and currently have 225k. I had belt tensioner issues right after the install but thats from the original unit with 200k. Swapped in a new oem one(comes with smaller pulley) and got the right belt for the setup. It has been a trouble-free 25k miles since.

How can you add power to a vvti 2uz these days? Are there any current kits available? An extra 50-75whp would be great.

I remember coming across a post on one of the tundra sites that someone successfully installed one on a vvti tundra. I don't recall if any mods where needed.

@Tundra Garnet

In theory I wouldn’t think it would be too difficult. You’d need the lower manifold from a pre vvti engine, you’d need to make sure the vvti still functions and the computer is managing the engine correctly.

Turbo would be sweet! Wonder if you would have to get it tuned, or if the stock computer is able to adapt? Would it need fuel delivery mods?

URD lists superchargers for 4Runner and GX 4.7l.

How can you add power to a vvti 2uz these days? Are there any current kits available? An extra 50-75whp would be great.

best way to get power out of a 2UZ these days is to take it out, and swap a big ol 24 valve cummins in there, with a monster turbo and a tune. Happy days :)

Aren't the pre 03 tundra engines produced in Japan ?

Has anyone ever talked with URD about cross compatibility?

Turbo would be sweet! Wonder if you would have to get it tuned, or if the stock computer is able to adapt? Would it need fuel delivery mods?

Check out this listing: Bullet Supercharger Kit for LC200 - 2UZ-FE 4.7L VVTI V8 [BULL_LC200super] - $11,490.00 : Extreme Landcruiser, Upgrades for Extreme Offroad Performance

They're claiming factory injectors and pump are ok. They're using a piggyback ECU. Neat kit, but the price tag is painful. I'd only invest in that if I had a late model 100 with the 5 speed trans as well.

Check out this listing: Bullet Supercharger Kit for LC200 - 2UZ-FE 4.7L VVTI V8 [BULL_LC200super] - $11,490.00 : Extreme Landcruiser, Upgrades for Extreme Offroad Performance

They're claiming factory injectors and pump are ok. They're using a piggyback ECU. Neat kit, but the price tag is painful. I'd only invest in that if I had a late model 100 with the 5 speed trans as well.

That appears to be for a 200 series with a 4.7l engine...not sure it would fit a 100 series.
I thought the 200 series had the 5.7l.

They list it twice, it seems. Bullet Supercharger Kit for Landcruiser 100 & Lexus LX470 [BULL_LC100super] : Extreme Landcruiser, Upgrades for Extreme Offroad Performance

One for the 100, one for the 200. Same core components, same description from what I can tell.
Very cool... I see they have an exhaust I've never seen also:

Yes, absolutely you need some ECU solution or you'll blow it up big time. Might be why some of the SC trucks failed too, I have seen people install TRD superchargers with no care in the world for ECU mods. No, the computer will not compensate on its own. It's designed to compensate 10-15% for variations in temperature or air pressure but a SC or TC boosts output by 50-100%, too much to compensate for.

I have a MAP-ECU which is a piggy back for Toyota ECUs. I have been waiting for my other projects to die down a little bit before installing it but I'm hoping I can then tune the engine past 300hp naturally aspirated. This ECU takes boost inputs and can also properly control the engine with a turbo in the future and E85 too. Hell it could even run NOS, two of the big ones.

Rotrex superchargers build boost with RPM so at low RPM it won't deliver much but should scream at the top end.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom