Is it possible to run the cool-box without having the A/C blow cold air at me ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cnd

Threads
I'm not sure if there's a problem with my LC200, or if this is "just how it is", but, if I turn on the between-seats refrigerator, this of course engages the A/C compressor, and then I get cold air blowing into the car.

Is that normal? If I just wanted non-chilled outside air blowing in, without using the fan, it is possible to have this while the fridge is on? I do know I could do this in my old 100 series, fwiw.

Chris.

Yes, AC has to be on with cool box on.

When I first got the LC I had the hardest time trying to turn off the AC and didn't know why.... until I realized the cool box was turned on thanks to this forum.

You can always set the vent controls to feet or adjust the temperature so it is not cold air blowing on you, but it will have the AC on if the cool box is on.

In “Auto”, cabin temp should go to whatever you set, even if the AC compressor is running due to coolbox.

Are you running with the climate control off or something? Cold air shouldn’t be an issue if the rest of the system is working correctly.

Last edited:
You are talking about the little bit of air comming out of the vents even if AC is of?
That happens in my 200 (2008 Diesel) no matter if the cooler is on or of.
And it looks like my cooler runs independently no matter if I turn on or off the rest of the ac

In “Auto”, cabin temp should go to whatever you set, even if the AC compressor is running due to coolbox.

Are you running with the climate control off or something? Cold air shouldn’t be an issue if the rest of the system is working correctly.
Experimenting some more - I notice that turning the cool-box on causes the A/C fan to come on, and it cannot be turned off until the cool box is also turned off.
It blows cold air, even when I set the cabin temp higher than the outside temp - upto a point. If it's 6 or more degrees higher, then it switches to blowing warm air.
No way to prevent it blowing though.

Can anyone confirm that it's NOT possible to completely switch off the A/C blower fan when the fridge is on? I'm wondering if it's some weird setting that might have gotten changed via ODBC when I changed the key to auto-open all windows on long-unlock-press...

Experimenting some more - I notice that turning the cool-box on causes the A/C fan to come on, and it cannot be turned off until the cool box is also turned off.
It blows cold air, even when I set the cabin temp higher than the outside temp - upto a point. If it's 6 or more degrees higher, then it switches to blowing warm air.
No way to prevent it blowing though.

Can anyone confirm that it's NOT possible to completely switch off the A/C blower fan when the fridge is on? I'm wondering if it's some weird setting that might have gotten changed via ODBC when I changed the key to auto-open all windows on long-unlock-press...

It's pretty warm here so difficult to test the temperature differential thing, but mine did indeed turn the fan on a low speed when the coolbox was turned on even with the climate control turned off. This was a surprise to me, but then I very rarely have CC off to observe what it would do. I didn't have time to let the engine warm fully to see if it would offset the cold from the vents with warmed air.

It could be that the truck wants some air flowing over the evap core in the dash to prevent it turning into a block of ice.. but that's just a guess.

Might be time to adjust those vents to a position where you don't notice it..

The fan is likely forced on automatically to keep the evaporator coil from icing/freezing.

It's pretty warm here so difficult to test the temperature differential thing, but mine did indeed turn the fan on a low speed when the coolbox was turned on even with the climate control turned off. This was a surprise to me, but then I very rarely have CC off to observe what it would do. I didn't have time to let the engine warm fully to see if it would offset the cold from the vents with warmed air.

It could be that the truck wants some air flowing over the evap core in the dash to prevent it turning into a block of ice.. but that's just a guess.

Might be time to adjust those vents to a position where you don't notice it..
Thanks for checking!!

That evap-core idea is probably the reason. I wonder how the 100-series didn't face that same problem? (I do notice it's a much larger fridge in those - maybe Toyota cut costs in the 200-series by eliminating refrigerant-circuit-solenoids or something?).

The dash vents do turn off, but it still leaks cold air from assorted other places still...

No big deal - I'm in Australia, and now - our "cold" season (10..20C / 50..70F - don't laugh) only lasts a few months anyhow, so the A/C's going to be on soon anyhow...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom