is igniter still necessary after Pertronix ignition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1977 FJ 40- Been posting a lot of Q's lately trying to resolve my stalling issue. I recently installed the pertronix ignitition system (which replaces the points). i was told that i would no longer need the OEM igniter that rides piggy back on the ignition coil. Based on this, i disconnected the igniter. Currently, the engine fires up, idles nicely and revs up in neutral, but stalls in second gear after about 25 mph. just trying to rule things out. Could the lack of igniter play a role in this?

I was always told the igniter was Toyota's version of electronic ignition, soooo guessing you wouldn't use the stock igniter with Pertronix ignition.

Do you feel like the engine has better performance now? Would you recommend the pertronix ignition?
its running great now! But i had a no start situation before. i am convinced my FJ40 igniter (not the pertronix) was non-functional. Also, the "insides" of the distributor were a mess. anyway, got rid of the igniter and installed the pertronix and we're off and running! Yes, i would recommend it.

-just looked back at this thread - my stalling issue was due to corroded gas tank. I hooked it to an external tank and that solved the stalling issue.

Do you feel like the engine has better performance now? Would you recommend the pertronix ignition?
you will not notice any improvement in performance. what you will notice is easier starts, and never having to deal with the points again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom