Is EV conversion possible for Hundy's? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I grew up in the 90s too and my sole purpose in life was to chirp the tires between gears. A big part of me will always crave it (the free market and my wife all but killed the manual transmission). I have been intrigued by Tesla from the begining - can I just say thank god for tesla? - can you imagine the boring crap on the market had it not been for Tesla making a compelling electric car? We're in the old horsepower races right now but it's a 9,000 lb Hummer going 0-60 in 3 seconds and a Tesla trying to crack 2 seconds. That's not the gov'ment doin that. That's free market tomfoolery and I love every second of it. This is a fun time to be alive and watch this happen. The thought of electric swapping becoming as common as the LS swap has me excited. That old orange truck on TFL is SIIIIIIIICK. (my wife has a 2021 Volvo and it feels like a clunky POS compared to the base model 3 fwiw)

There's also something special about the Land Cruiser - thus here we all are...

Agreed. Tesla has tons of growing pains, but it's taken nearly a decade for another manufacturer to start releasing a decent EV. Tesla has been leading the charge for "fun" in the segment while other OEMs are dragging their heels trying to squeeze out all the profit they can from their massive ICE-based infrastructure and design. Toyota was making a slightly more aerodynamic Prius while Tesla was making the worlds fastest production cars.

@suprarx7nut What? Toyota level of quality? Go Google for videos of Tesla interior quality. There's thousands of them showing the lack of quality. Squeaks and crap everywhere.

I've driven a ton of Teslas, ever since 2013ish. I know a ton of people with them. Their quality is crap, and they have a ton of issues.
I guess I can only speak for the two that I've driven (one I own, another i drove for 4 days) and a few others I sat in and looked at it person. One pivotal moment for me actually was when an ADGU customer rolled up in their 2015 Model S with something like 75k miles on it. It looked new. At this point in time I was still very much in the "yeah, they're fast I guess, but everyone says the build quality is garbage" camp. We came out to look at it for a while in the parking lot. The owner said it was all still nice and functional with no substantial squeaks or rattles. I was a bit shocked by how nice it was. I had heard all these stories about how terrible these things were.... and here's a 7 year old example sitting in front of me that looks far nicer than the brand new 4Runners we see. It looks on par with the brand new 200 series we see. A few weeks later, I rented one on Turo. That one was also great. The sole fault I could find with that 60k mile 2016 was that a rear door handle wouldn't always unlatch. It's a known problem and a redesign was issued since 2016 that makes them more durable now. The interior was perfect aside from some scratches on the inside of the driver's door handle (where a ring would hit the handle).

Perhaps the quality is more variable than bad? I've seen the new steering yoke (which seems dumb, IMO) wear insanely fast. And others look great. I've seen some paint quality issues in some cars - I guess all pre ~2019 - and have seen absolutely zero in my own Model S and the one I rented, nor that customer's 2015.

In the same timeframe just in the ADGU shop, we've seen a <year old 200 series with a completely dead rear tailgate handle that left a customer without access to their cargo. Every 200 series has a second row seat bottom that rocks and rattles within the catch mechanism. The striker has too little preload. Toyota/Lexus appear to have left that fault in all their flagship SUVs for the entire run of the car. Toyota makes phenomenal drivetrains.

Now one thing I must mention is the panel gaps and panel alignment. It's bad. lol. It's completely irrelevant to any function of the vehicle, but it's obvious their manufacturing lacks the precision of Audi/BMW/Mercedes. Toyota has great repeatability on their panels, so it seems, but they leave some pretty huge gaps from the factory. This is a case where Tesla is bad, Toyota is OK and the German brands are way out in front.

All suffice to say, 12 months ago I was under the same impression/experience you have. Now I've lived with and been hands on with a few and all is well. 🤷

@suprarx7nut

This isn't just me randomly saying this. Check out the forums.... I'd be surprised if you haven't already, which makes me more surprised you haven't seen what I am referring to. The amount of issues with Model S's is downright scary. JD Powers also agrees, ranking Tesla very low in their quality metrics.

I also found the variability of battery life to be scary (on the forums) when looking at the possibility of buying a used one, but I have less data for that one so don't quote me on that.

The above comments are tangential to what I mentioned before though. Its possible some vehicles are put together well and others aren't, but I've been in numerous ones with horrible creaks and squeaks and poorly put together plastics and materials. As I said, there are tons of youtube videos on this stuff as well. Of course, my friends didn't care. They aren't car people and thought their new toy was awesome. Which is why I think the phone analogy is so apt. My friends that love these things like the status and (IMO) like having their new toy to play with. Personally I am very unimpressed with them as an actual vehicle. I cannot stand Matt Farah, but he hits it out of the park when he goes off on his whole 'A Tesla equates to a phone' analogy.

Side note: I think supplemental batteries are a great idea and also thought Toyota was hitting it out of the park committing heavily to hybrids and less so to EV's. I find it very sad that the social and political pressure regarding that decision forced them to pull-back on hybrids and move towards more EV's. A very unfortunate sign of the times IMO.

Short and quick; 90s kid, love gadgets and new technology, really have a strong dislike for all the ‘safety tech’. All the assists just lets people drive more relaxed and unattended. Stuck buying cars from 98-10, I lie I have a basic 2018 GMC Savana 2500.

1) Vrroom. Sorry EV just can’t replicate that yet?

2) Well built smooth cars have a ‘feeling’ when you drive them, it’s smiles per gallon. It’s hard to replicate, rowing gears, feeling the clutch, feeling the road. New cars are so isolated from the outside.

3) EVs are great A-B for the general population but I this our mass transit system is showing it’s real age with no investments and upgrades now. We have way more cars on the road than we need in city’s you can’t fix that with a new car.

4) I like to think we are ‘green’ saving and taking care of these well built machines and using them for hopefully the entirety of their reasonable life spans; throwaway culture I guess?

People always get weird about new tech. Well, $7 California gas and free work charging will change your mind real quick.

Once we’re past the generic no exhaust, not enthusiast, it’s an appliance etc comments, everything else feels pretty antiquated after driving an EV for a while.

1A9BEA70-EB06-4185-BDED-75FCFA452B42.jpeg

Someone laughed at my initial response so I'll elaborate.

I'm not interested in my life being Californicated.

Elon Musk makes his money selling data, data that his cars gather. I don't do social media other than places like this and ExPo. What I do isn't his business, Biden's, or any other garbage politician's. This climate push is just another tax, another tax that doesn't change anything because China is offsetting your footprint when they stripmine the material for your batteries. It's just another way to make the rich richer.

Some people that turned their home t-stats over found that due to "an energy emergency" they couldn't turn on their AC, meanwhile California thinks windmills and unicorn farts will keep the lights lit.

***On Edit: California's anti-nuclear plant status is why this whole entire thing is nothing short of a joke. IF they were actually for zero emissions they wouldn't be closing the plants. Solar and wind can't create the capacity and anyone living there should start working towards your own energy independence unless they've made that unlawful already, can't have you rebels not under State control after all.***

What happens when programs like this aren't "voluntary"? What happens when it is your vehicle being shut off to save the grid? What if your social credit score drops below the deemed acceptable threshold or you don't get your fifth booster for the virus of the week?

Yeah, not interested. They can pound sand.

Last edited:
@suprarx7nut What? Toyota level of quality? Go Google for videos of Tesla interior quality. There's thousands of them showing the lack of quality. Squeaks and crap everywhere.

I've driven a ton of Teslas, ever since 2013ish. I know a ton of people with them. Their quality is crap, and they have a ton of issues.
i must have got real lucky, mines nearly perfect. i hear the ones out of the new factories are even better. refined production line methods

Can we all at least just agree that the Tesla screen is one of the most hideous designs to ever actually land in a production vehicle?

Or are some of you wrong?
Ha! Yes! The interior design (really just that screen) was one of the biggest deterrents for me. That thing is ugly - especially the early years of Model S without a center console (IE the "yacht floor"). Mine has the console and a full leather/carbon/alcantara upholstery which helps, but that screen is still just plopped into the center.

The screen is awesome to use, but some sort of interior design nightmare.

1665196104392.png

Can we all at least just agree that the Tesla screen is one of the most hideous designs to ever actually land in a production vehicle?

Or are some of you wrong?

Don't anyone tell him about the people installing the "Tesla screen" in their hundys...

People always get weird about new tech. Well, $7 California gas and free work charging will change your mind real quick.

Once we’re past the generic no exhaust, not enthusiast, it’s an appliance etc comments, everything else feels pretty antiquated after driving an EV for a while.

View attachment 3134367

All fun and games until they tell you to turn up your A/C, stop using water, and don't charge your EV. Will be very interesting to see how California manages their electrical grid issues with this forced EV move coming. If the high speed train to no where is any indication it will be very expensive and not solve the problem.

All fun and games until they tell you to turn up your A/C, stop using water, and don't charge your EV. Will be very interesting to see how California manages their electrical grid issues with this forced EV move coming. If the high speed train to no where is any indication it will be very expensive and not solve the problem.
It’s not just forcing electric cars either. Many municipalities are putting building codes in place that require new constructions to be all electric (i.e. no natural gas or propane allowed).

The problem is, just like the cars, the current electrical grid can’t support that amount of load. That said, since most of the electric grid is privately owned, the local governments have said this is the only way to force them to upgrade and maybe stop them from burning down the state each summer while they are at it. For me, sure I can understand why they would want to put the codes in place to try and force the issue, but I really don’t love that they have to do that. Wish companies would just innovate for the sake of advancement, but some it seems just want to take a profit and not do anything besides required maintenance.

Going back to the cars, I have to agree that the way of everything being controlled by screens is my least favorite part of new cars and it really turns me off from wanting something newer. I think EVs are great and have their place, but give me actual buttons so I can do things without having to look.

If I had a 50 mile or better daily commute, I'd consider an ev. I really don't see the point in converting a landcruiser to ev unless it's just for the technical challenge of it, there is no accounting for other people's tastes as they say. Kind of reminds me of slot cars from when I was a kid playing in the basement, it's a porsche, now it's a camaro, now it's a ...., if you slap a landcruiser body on an ev drivetrain is it really still a landcruiser?

Last edited:
Yeah, my commute is 47 miles each way and a couple of years ago when Musk was taking bitcoin I seriously considered getting a Plaid S with Ludicrous Mode or whatever it was. My work also offers free charging.

The EV tax credit soon became offset by higher prices and talk of the politicians forcing mandatory gps to tax your mileage because they lost their gas/diesel tax stream due to EV usage increasing.

Thankfully Musk stopped taking it so I had the decision made for me and now the more I learned about it and seeing how things evolved over the last two years I'll stick to to my diesel TDI for my commute and my diesel F350 and my Land Cruisers.

@suprarx7nut

This isn't just me randomly saying this. Check out the forums.... I'd be surprised if you haven't already, which makes me more surprised you haven't seen what I am referring to. The amount of issues with Model S's is downright scary. JD Powers also agrees, ranking Tesla very low in their quality metrics.

I also found the variability of battery life to be scary (on the forums) when looking at the possibility of buying a used one, but I have less data for that one so don't quote me on that.

The above comments are tangential to what I mentioned before though. Its possible some vehicles are put together well and others aren't, but I've been in numerous ones with horrible creaks and squeaks and poorly put together plastics and materials. As I said, there are tons of youtube videos on this stuff as well. Of course, my friends didn't care. They aren't car people and thought their new toy was awesome. Which is why I think the phone analogy is so apt. My friends that love these things like the status and (IMO) like having their new toy to play with. Personally I am very unimpressed with them as an actual vehicle. I cannot stand Matt Farah, but he hits it out of the park when he goes off on his whole 'A Tesla equates to a phone' analogy.

Side note: I think supplemental batteries are a great idea and also thought Toyota was hitting it out of the park committing heavily to hybrids and less so to EV's. I find it very sad that the social and political pressure regarding that decision forced them to pull-back on hybrids and move towards more EV's. A very unfortunate sign of the times IMO.
What can I say. I'm an exceptionally brave man. :D

The battery data is pretty well documented. They had some early defects where I believe a water drain was placed in an area that could accumulate water and corrode a cell or a joint and kill the battery. It was caught early on, well before my 18 was made. Aside from those specific failures, I believe the battery life data is pretty well populated and favorable. We're a decade into Tesla production and I think average battery life is something like 80% near that 10 year mark. That's plenty good. The range of the 100kw batteries is already 20% better than my LX so it's a non-issue for commuting.

It's interesting to hear how "Tesla owners" are perceived.

Worth stating that the purchase decision for me was a simple finance question. Literal spreadsheet situation. What's the up front cost. What's the expected depreciation? Insurance? Expected repair/wear item costs. Fuel Cost? How much time do I need to spend getting gasoline (or diesel)? And then a "fun factor" because driving a Prius is obviously less enjoyable than the LX or a Model S or an AMG.

My commute is long, therefore fuel costs are huge. That gave the EVs and high MPG cars a big boost in my analysis. Tesla has been making "good" EVs for far longer than anyone else - questionable initial quality metrics still trump zero metrics. A Model S is far more exciting than most any other <$80k high MPG vehicle so there ya go. Tesla it is. I wish other OEMs were making cool EVs years ago, but they were scared to make massive investments with an unsure payoff. That's a hard sell to investors.

Tesla is a weird thing. People get so worked up about the political commentary and the disruptiveness of these cars in the market that I think they blind themselves to the mechanics of the thing. ITS A SILENT ROCKETSHIP ON WHEELS THAT COSTS $5 PER 100 MILES! I can't wait for the off road market to start enjoying the EV benefits. Silent wheeling. Camp mode. No need for a secondary battery setup. Quad motors acting like triple lockers - or better! Storage abound! The list goes on and on.

Take a look at this list. This is some random thing I just grabbed off google. 0-60times.net or something. I've highlighted which of those cars are not race/track cars and which retail for under $200k. Hint: It's only the Model S. There's race cars, drag cars, hyper cars/super cars..... and then the Model S. If that sort of accessible speed and power doesn't make you smile and forget about whatever political commentary or forum chatter you heard from strangers on the internet, perhaps there's something besides the car going on. I'm only interested in the car. The fact that my "cheap" commuter can be the 14th fastest car on a list that includes formula 1 and a Bugatti is pretty cool. :)

1665240816727.png

If I can manage to sell enough key fobs and sleeper systems maybe I'll snag that 911 Turbo S someday... ;)

What can I say. I'm an exceptionally brave man. :D

The battery data is pretty well documented. They had some early defects where I believe a water drain was placed in an area that could accumulate water and corrode a cell or a joint and kill the battery. It was caught early on, well before my 18 was made. Aside from those specific failures, I believe the battery life data is pretty well populated and favorable. We're a decade into Tesla production and I think average battery life is something like 80% near that 10 year mark. That's plenty good. The range of the 100kw batteries is already 20% better than my LX so it's a non-issue for commuting.

It's interesting to hear how "Tesla owners" are perceived.

Worth stating that the purchase decision for me was a simple finance question. Literal spreadsheet situation. What's the up front cost. What's the expected depreciation? Insurance? Expected repair/wear item costs. Fuel Cost? How much time do I need to spend getting gasoline (or diesel)? And then a "fun factor" because driving a Prius is obviously less enjoyable than the LX or a Model S or an AMG.

My commute is long, therefore fuel costs are huge. That gave the EVs and high MPG cars a big boost in my analysis. Tesla has been making "good" EVs for far longer than anyone else - questionable initial quality metrics still trump zero metrics. A Model S is far more exciting than most any other <$80k high MPG vehicle so there ya go. Tesla it is. I wish other OEMs were making cool EVs years ago, but they were scared to make massive investments with an unsure payoff. That's a hard sell to investors.

Tesla is a weird thing. People get so worked up about the political commentary and the disruptiveness of these cars in the market that I think they blind themselves to the mechanics of the thing. ITS A SILENT ROCKETSHIP ON WHEELS THAT COSTS $5 PER 100 MILES! I can't wait for the off road market to start enjoying the EV benefits. Silent wheeling. Camp mode. No need for a secondary battery setup. Quad motors acting like triple lockers - or better! Storage abound! The list goes on and on.

Take a look at this list. This is some random thing I just grabbed off google. 0-60times.net or something. I've highlighted which of those cars are not race/track cars and which retail for under $200k. Hint: It's only the Model S. There's race cars, drag cars, hyper cars/super cars..... and then the Model S. If that sort of accessible speed and power doesn't make you smile and forget about whatever political commentary or forum chatter you heard from strangers on the internet, perhaps there's something besides the car going on. I'm only interested in the car. The fact that my "cheap" commuter can be the 14th fastest car on a list that includes formula 1 and a Bugatti is pretty cool. :)

View attachment 3134932

If I can manage to sell enough key fobs and sleeper systems maybe I'll snag that 911 Turbo S someday... ;)

I'd still rather hear about your MKIII.

I'd still rather hear about your MKIII.
Well that makes two of us.

It needs some trim install work and then a thorough once over on the engine/turbo. Leaks a ton of fuel and smokes like crazy right now. Made a morning donut run today. Really wish I could have made that run in the Supra. Maybe next year...

1665246540330.png

It’s not just forcing electric cars either. Many municipalities are putting building codes in place that require new constructions to be all electric (i.e. no natural gas or propane allowed).

The problem is, just like the cars, the current electrical grid can’t support that amount of load. That said, since most of the electric grid is privately owned, the local governments have said this is the only way to force them to upgrade and maybe stop them from burning down the state each summer while they are at it. For me, sure I can understand why they would want to put the codes in place to try and force the issue, but I really don’t love that they have to do that. Wish companies would just innovate for the sake of advancement, but some it seems just want to take a profit and not do anything besides required maintenance.

Going back to the cars, I have to agree that the way of everything being controlled by screens is my least favorite part of new cars and it really turns me off from wanting something newer. I think EVs are great and have their place, but give me actual buttons so I can do things without having to look.
The city I live in banned NG for new construction. I can’t imagine the cost of heating a whole house with electricity.

I was put off by the screens and interior before I spent much time in one, now think about how many dozens of busy buttons and switches cars have that you never use but have to stare at every day.

Another thing, from the awesome seats to the truly amazing stereos and great handling, the heater starts almost immediately with no warm up.

The city I live in banned NG for new construction. I can’t imagine the cost of heating a whole house with electricity.

I was put off by the screens and interior before I spent much time in one, now think about how many dozens of busy buttons and switches cars have that you never use but have to stare at every day.

Another thing, from the awesome seats to the truly amazing stereos and great handling, the heater starts almost immediately with no warm up.
I'd move. Cooking with electric is almost as bad as a politician who would make you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom