Is EV conversion possible for Hundy's? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just saw a video on an EV conversion of a 80 series:

It's such a sweet idea to keep our Hundys running beyond 1 million miles while saving on gas 😂 Best of both worlds...

Has anyone considered doing this to the 100 series? What would the major challenges be and would it be more complicated/costly than what this owner did? (He said $15k-20k)

Thanks for your insights!

Last edited:
i knew i recognized him.

Yep that's my truck. Sure you could do a 100. Converting to EV is no easy task. I chose to convert an 80 because they have boat anchor engines and a solid front axle. 100s have a nice engine and IFS. Just realize unless the range will be very little and if you want more than 100 miles range you will easily spend twice what I did on batteries alone.

Maybe a Tesla battery could make the range comparable to the stock 22 gallon tank's range? Hopefully Tesla battery can become cheaper as there are more and more on the road.

Congrats on the build… or more so, the balls to even start it. I have been mentally building out various EVs for 15 years… starting when the discussion was based on fork lift motors! Now we’re practically in a golden age of options… which will only get better (platinum age?). What one needs as a wrecked Lucid. They are setting a new bar in efficiency and small packages… just need to set the bar with a big wallet, I guess too. I have watched the GM ”crate” ev motor idea, but that still seems like tons of cash! With all that said, it never crossed my mind to consider my 100… wonder how many hours I’ll burn on this idea?!?!?!

thanks for being a trailblazer!

that's amazing. As battery technology improves over the coming years, the feasibility will further improve. there is a youtuber that made an EV hummer H1.

Just saw on TFL a classic Ford EV conversion using LegacyEV kits including Tesla battery:

The cost for the >200 mile range kit is totally prohibitive 😂. Hopefully will come down in the next a few years.

Just saw on TFL a classic Ford EV conversion using LegacyEV kits including Tesla battery:

The cost for the >200 mile range kit is totally prohibitive 😂. Hopefully will come down in the next a few years.

Saw that truck in person. It's really awesome.

You gotta realize a $100k Tesla goes 300 miles. If you want your 6000lbs brick of an SUV to go 300 miles it will need twice as much battery as the $100k car.

Honestly I don't see that package as unreasonable and I'd prefer my Land Cruiser with a 300 mile electric range to a Tesla. Just have too many kids to be anywhere in the ballpark of a $100K car!

Super cool idea and neat to see @J1000 's 80 at Cruise Moab. If you could get dense battery packs and segment them into the fuel tank and spare tire area on a 100 I bet you could make something worthwhile. Not cheap, though!

I'm all on board the EV train. Bring on the insanely fast, super quiet and luxurious rides in all form factors.

Recently bought a P100D and the LX has never felt more antiquated. First time I drove the LX after a week in the Tesla I thought something was genuinely wrong with the LX engine because it felt like there was just no response to the throttle. Of course, nothing was wrong, it's just that slow and non-responsive compared to that P100D which is basically a teleportation device.

How would EV's perform range-wise in low speed crawling? I know I get ~7-8 MPG when in 4-low. Could you do a day of wheeling and still make it home?

How would EV's perform range-wise in low speed crawling? I know I get ~7-8 MPG when in 4-low. Could you do a day of wheeling and still make it home?
My truck and also Rivian and F150 Lightning all get around 1-1.5 miles/KWh offroad. So with my 30Kwh battery that's about 25-30 miles, Rivian it's 100-150 miles off-road. So it's completely usable off-road. My truck still has a tiny battery so it needs to be towed to the trailhead but then it can wheel for several hours no problem. Bigger batteries would make the highway journey possible too.

Super cool idea and neat to see @J1000 's 80 at Cruise Moab. If you could get dense battery packs and segment them into the fuel tank and spare tire area on a 100 I bet you could make something worthwhile. Not cheap, though!

I'm all on board the EV train. Bring on the insanely fast, super quiet and luxurious rides in all form factors.

Recently bought a P100D and the LX has never felt more antiquated. First time I drove the LX after a week in the Tesla I thought something was genuinely wrong with the LX engine because it felt like there was just no response to the throttle. Of course, nothing was wrong, it's just that slow and non-responsive compared to that P100D which is basically a teleportation device.
Sorry you meant to say your P100D is basically a phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom