Is a 1KZ engine sufficient for an 80-series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought an 80-series in Colombia with a 4.5 gasoline engine. I plan to swap engine to diesel, with the main objective of maximum fuel efficiency, so I’ll go with whatever engine will give the best mpg.

So far options are an imported 1KZ and an imported 1HD-FT. The price is also a consideration as in Colombia the 1HD costs 3.5x the cost of the 1KZ. I want an efficient engine that doesn’t put out a lot of smoke.

IMG_6584.jpeg

This is all uncharted territory for me so any advise is welcome.

If you use the search function you'd see I also asked this a long time ago. I'm running a 3.0L mercedes diesel and it works. However, an OM606 is a bit more sturdy than a 1kz. Honestly, I would have ran a 1HD if I could have got my hands on one.

The KZ is a solid powerplant for lighter trucks - they suit Hiluxes, 70 and 90 series Prados and Surfs (see note below). The 1KD which is in newer Hiluxes is heavily based off the 1KZ.
I had a KZJ78 with a 1KZ in it and it was great, but the 80 or even the HD 70's are too heavy for them, they just don't have the bottom end torque. There's a 40 series build with one in it on this board and it's pretty nice. They're also fairly common in diesel jet/stern drive boats (lots of cooling) and I believe can be brought new in marinised trim from Nanni Diesel.

Note: KZ's have a repuation (at least here in NZ where there are 1000's) of cracking heads and head gaskets. This is definitely something that happens to them, but the usual cause is that they're just not looked after properly, with infrequent coolant changes and people not doing the basic maintenance. Lots of them here are in JDM imports which often have questionable servicing before import. Additionally, blocking the EGR and changing the very restrictive factory downpipe helps get rid of some heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom