Intro from new member and pics of my new 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just like the rest of you guys and gals, I have always had an interest in the old FJ's. I just could never find the right one at the right price (I am a tight ass). And living in the middle of Oklahoma, the quantity of these things is pretty low. While visiting with a coworker a couple of weeks ago, I mentioned my interest in finding a good old FJ40, he said his father-in-law in Colorado had one he would like to see out of the driveway and the rest is history. Here are some pics as I know everyone on this forum as well as myself enjoys lots of pics. All you professional 40 owners tell me what you think and tell me what you see that has been altered. It's a 5/76 build.

100_0928.jpg

100_0926.jpg

100_0932.jpg

100_0939.jpg

100_0937.jpg

Its been setting for several years, with very little activity. I put an old battery in it and aired up the tires and have been driving it daily. Haven't had a chance to clean it out much. The glovebox had been home to some mice and there are several wasp nests in and under the old thing. I think it has potential.

Heres a few more pics.
100_0933.jpg

100_0935.jpg

100_0934.jpg

Where in OK are you? Are you a member of Green Country Cruisers?

Jonny

I am in Ponca City. I'm not a member of anything other than the old fat guy club. I picked this thing up for a grand. I hope I did all right on the deal.

good find

Nice looking rig with lots of potential.
Not a professional, but here is what I see.
  1. desmogged with a weber carb and air filter
  2. green paint over original red
  3. not OEM turn signals or could be aftermarket lights
  4. tuffy console (good)
  5. not oem seats, or at least covers
  6. no oem antenna
  7. no oem windshield knobs- bolts in place of knobs
  8. hurst shifter knob -Cool
  9. washer bottle missing
  10. clutch master cylinder just a little low on fluid, might want to check the slave cylinder for leakage. might leave you stranded, been there.
  11. ash tray missing
  12. big red light on left side of cluster, ???
  13. custom door panels, not bad
  14. tread plate on rear quarters, hope they are not hiding cancer.
What are your plans for this rig?
Congratulations on the addiction, and welcome to mud.
Gary

I'll add a few observations.

Looks really clean and had had a few repaints but looks pretty good! Not sure if the black on the inside is truck bed liners but doesn't appear to be.

Front and rear bumpers are not stock and are jeep Smitty built bumpers.

Noticed some drilled holes in the passenger side door sill. Interesting and not sure if those are stock drain holes for later FJ40 or a PO modification. My 1970 definitely doesn't have them.

Still has the original dome light for the hard top, and stock roll bar with pads, which seems to be pretty rare!

Shackle reversal on the front, but still appears to be SUA. I would go over the springs and mounts just to make sure it's in good shape.

If it drives and you paid a grand, then you did really good. Great cruiser and welcome to the club!

Couldn't help but notice your date stamp on the pics. Good looking rig four months from now! :) I really like your new 40 and think you did just fine for a grand. However, My 69 has dual hurst knobs :flipoff2:

Nice 40

That is a sweet looking rig for a grand! What are your plans? Are you going for a restoration or are you just going to get her back into shape.

I dig those seats! Maybe I coould convince you to trade them for a stock Aisin carb and a set of stock seats.

Good luck

Nice seats and a steal if you ask me. Mine will be here Thursday. In OKC. Hope to see you driving around.

Looks like a good buy to me ! Welcome, and keep us updated with progress !:cheers:

Noticed some drilled holes in the passenger side door sill. Interesting and not sure if those are stock drain holes for later FJ40 or a PO modification. My 1970 definitely doesn't have them.

I'll bet those holes are for pivot points for an old style soft top door. Someone missed the mark on the 1st try.

Hi All:

Looks like a great buy for US$1,000.00! :cheers:

Some notes (not already posted):

* whats up with the dual exhaust tail pipes (one pipe on either side) ?

* inner panel for the front doors are wood (not OE vinyl)

Regards,

Alan

Im thinking the dual exhaust that you think your seeing is the ends of the rear TUBE bumper

Thats one of those deals that you only hear about, congrats on a steal of a deal. Just think now that you saved on the purchace price you have all the money to do all the upgrades$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Couldn't help but notice your date stamp on the pics

it's only the US that does it backasswards :rolleyes:

the rest of the world does the smallest increment first - that would be the day :doh:

Hi All:

Looks like a great buy for US$1,000.00! :cheers:

Some notes (not already posted):

* whats up with the dual exhaust tail pipes (one pipe on either side) ?

* inner panel for the front doors are wood (not OE vinyl)

Regards,

Alan

Im thinking the dual exhaust that you think your seeing is the ends of the rear TUBE bumper

100_0929.jpg

good catch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom