Interior Leak - Help Greatly Appreciated! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello! 02' LC w/ 174K miles - stock. Here's one more B.S. problem that I have to fix or pay a bunch of money I don't have for someone to fix for me. I park on a slope in front of my house and it's been raining nonstop for the past 5 days. I drove my LC for the first time in 10 days and noticed that my Weathertech floormat on the driver's side was filled with about 1/2" of water. I just thought I had the window partially opened, or maybe the door wasn't shut tight...but that all checked out. No idea - everything under the driver's side dash is bone dry. Then I started to drive and several drips of water started to come out of the garage door opener/overhead light area overhead-center. It's still raining, and my garage is being used for a restoration project...so it sat in the rain again last night. Same thing this morning. This is the first time this has ever happened in my two years of ownership.

I've heard about the clogged moonroof drains...BUT my moonroof doesn't work and cannot be opened. Super convenient. I've also heard about the windshield stripping/seal having an issue where water can come in...but it all appears to be tight and in good condition.

It's heading west for a hunting trip next week and then up for sale after that - I've had it with this thing. I'll need to think long and hard about the truck that's going to replace it....

Any help is greatly appreciated - thank you!

attachment holes for the roof rack can leak. they need a big blop of sillicon when installed.

even if you moon roof doesn't work, the water can still get passed the seal and into the tray... if the lines are clogged, it'll overflow into your headliner.

Sorry to hear of all your troubles... sounds like a fit of bad luck, that experience is definitely not the norm. Also, nearly 20 year old rigs are going to take some TLC to keep them going.

Sunroof drains for sure. You will need to get it open and blow it with compressed air.

Yes, I had the exact same issue on my 2000. Once you can get your sunroof open, gently feed some stiff, thick commercial weed eater line down each of the four holes, one in each corner surrounding the open sunroof “gutter.” You’ll have to run it in and out a bit so go easy. I took my time, and a bunch of gunk came out, especially the front holes. After that, I poured very hot water and Dawn dishwashing liquid down each hole until only very clean water came out. Maybe 90 minutes total...no more leaks at all.

Thanks for the feedback everyone - I'll need to look into fixing the moonroof then I guess. To my knowledge, the front headliner needs to be dropped to expose the moonroof motor, and then I'll need to track down a working motor for an affordable price (not easy), and simply plug the new one in - correct? I'll do some homework on Mud to find threads for moonroof repair. Thanks again!

You can get a visual on the drains by just removing the a pillar covers. I would imagine you could cut the tubes to clean then splice back together.

You can get a visual on the drains by just removing the a pillar covers. I would imagine you could cut the tubes to clean then splice back together.
Really? - that's great news! Any idea of the rough diameter of those drain tubes? I'm guessing they're around 1/4" or so? How would you splice them back together? Insert a hard tube inside with some silicone to seal the two ends? Thanks for the idea!

I had the same problem, water pouring out of the garage door opener- My windshield was leaking . Had to pull it and have a body shop refab the entire windshield opening.

I had similar problem many years ago...If your moonroof motor/cable are not working, I think you can just unbolt the nuts from the inside (after removing the plastic trim moulding, you will see the studs and bolts) holding the moonroof glass. This might give you better visual where the pan/gutter connects to the drain tubes along with removing the A-pillar trims...I can't remember if the moonroof rail system is in the way or not for a visual check.

Here's a shot of the drain (from youtube video).

Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 10.16.52 AM.png

If you can visually see the drain hole from the pan and the hose from the A-pillar, I would then get a cup of water and then pour water down each drain hose from the top of the moonroof plastic tray pan (simulating rain flowing into the pan) and see where the water goes (or doesn't go). Mine had leaf gunk blocking mine so it was an easy clean-up job.

I also used some white paper towel around areas I thought it might leak since water is easily absorbed by paper towel and your eyes sometimes don't see small drips, especially around the hose cause the hose is clear too.

Saw this posting on youtube...

Good luck. Know the feeling!

I had similar problem many years ago...If your moonroof motor/cable are not working, I think you can just unbolt the nuts from the inside (after removing the plastic trim moulding, you will see the studs and bolts) holding the moonroof glass. This might give you better visual where the pan/gutter connects to the drain tubes along with removing the A-pillar trims...I can't remember if the moonroof rail system is in the way or not for a visual check.

Here's a shot of the drain (from youtube video).

View attachment 2097936
If you can visually see the drain hole from the pan and the hose from the A-pillar, I would then get a cup of water and then pour water down each drain hose from the top of the moonroof plastic tray pan (simulating rain flowing into the pan) and see where the water goes (or doesn't go). Mine had leaf gunk blocking mine so it was an easy clean-up job.

I also used some white paper towel around areas I thought it might leak since water is easily absorbed by paper towel and your eyes sometimes don't see small drips, especially around the hose cause the hose is clear too.

Saw this posting on youtube...

Good luck. Know the feeling!

Awesome - thank you! I watched that video earlier - very good info and if my darn moonroof would just open this job is super simple. I'll tinker with it tonight and see if I can triangulate the source of the leak - good idea for using paper towel. I've got one leak coming down through the garage door opener and then water must be dripping down the front DS pillar and leaking onto the floor. Adding this project to the to-do list before going on a hunting trip in WY next week is a bit daunting. Thanks for the insight!

I had the same problem, water pouring out of the garage door opener- My windshield was leaking . Had to pull it and have a body shop refab the entire windshield opening.
Wow - hopefully that's not the case. I'd sell it before dealing with any of that. I admire your patience and loyalty. I can only get screwed so many times before I give up.

Wow - hopefully that's not the case. I'd sell it before dealing with any of that. I admire your patience and loyalty. I can only get screwed so many times before I give up.
I have had my 2003 since new. The water intrusion and the broken ignition (spinning key) is the only major problem I have had with this truck. There is a seam above the A pillar under the molding that sometimes separates over time and allows water in. It is a known Issue. This was the case with my 2003.

My 100 (now closing in on 200K) has been bullet proof and the best car/truck I have ever owned ( and I have owned over 15 cars from Corvettes to Range Rovers). The windshield issue cost me $850.00 for a body shop to repair, and I fixed the spinning key issue myself for $350 with the help of a Utube video that most on here have used as well.

Unlike many here, besides routine maintenance, (TB, Oil, Grease, brakes, water t's) I do not fix something on the 100 until it breaks. I paid a premium for Land Cruiser quality, and I intend to take advantage to it. So far this approach has worked for me.

Sorry for your leak problem, I know they can be extremely frustrating.

I have had my 2003 since new. The water intrusion and the broken ignition (spinning key) is the only major problem I have had with this truck. There is a seam above the A pillar under the molding that sometimes separates over time and allows water in. It is a known Issue. This was the case with my 2003.

My 100 (now closing in on 200K) has been bullet proof and the best car/truck I have ever owned ( and I have owned over 15 cars from Corvettes to Range Rovers). The windshield issue cost me $850.00 for a body shop to repair, and I fixed the spinning key issue myself for $350 with the help of a Utube video that most on here have used as well.

Unlike many here, besides routine maintenance, (TB, Oil, Grease, brakes, water t's) I do not fix something on the 100 until it breaks. I paid a premium for Land Cruiser quality, and I intend to take advantage to it. So far this approach has worked for me.

Sorry for your leak problem, I know they can be extremely frustrating.
Awesome - thanks for the advice. I made the novice mistake of buying a salt-belt Cruiser with a rusty undercarriage. I'm the third owner and it's been repainted...no idea why. The amount of information I've learned from this forum is unreal, and a big thank you to everyone who's weighed in on my multiple problems over the past 2 years. I dealt with the prior owner's neglect with a $3500 baseline maintenance procedure...but she's still got a cracked manifold gasket, non-functional moonroof, leaky roof, several interior lights that are burnt out, garbage exhaust that was welded back together by a chimp, and you can't turn a single nut off of the frame without heat, oil or breaking it. Not an ideal ownership experience to say the least. I'd maybe buy a clean southwestern LC that was well taken care of...but I might go to a Tundra with the 5.7. We'll see where I land after this Cruiser is sold.

Maybe 1/4 to 3/8 ID. I would splice back together with the push on barb fittings.

I haven't read all of the previous replies, but on my 02 LX, I simply took all of the plastic cowling off and was able to unbolt the sunroof from the rails and lift the entire glass assembly out. There were like four 10mm nuts to remove.

I haven't read all of the previous replies, but on my 02 LX, I simply took all of the plastic cowling off and was able to unbolt the sunroof from the rails and lift the entire glass assembly out. There were like four 10mm nuts to remove.
^^ This. The sunroof glass can be removed from the inside and hopefully the drain holes could be seen & cleaned out. Remove plastic trim and the four gold nuts.
4C1F32E5-2F0B-4F8E-BC46-493E1C525B28.jpeg

My trim rattles a bit so I haven’t put it back on.

I'm dreading the onset of winter here in Oregon. Last year I was getting water in the overhead center console area (where the HomeLink setup should have been installed). Is that the location where you were getting water too? I assume you're referring to that area as the garage door opener area.... And just to clarify, water was leaking in from around the windshield and ending up in that overhead center console area? Thanks for any info!

I'm dreading the onset of winter here in Oregon. Last year I was getting water in the overhead center console area (where the HomeLink setup should have been installed). Is that the location where you were getting water too? I assume you're referring to that area as the garage door opener area.... And just to clarify, water was leaking in from around the windshield and ending up in that overhead center console area? Thanks for any info!
I think you can probably check for a windshield leak fairly easily by pressurizing the interior either with HVAC on high and set to outside air, or some sort of blower through the window and then use soapy water spray around the edges. Windshield leaks aren't uncommon, but sunroof leaks are even more so and much easier to deal with. Typical problem areas are the hard inner rubber strip bonded to the sunroof glass. There are factory joins in that seal that separate over time and allow water to pass through.

It also isn't too hard to drop the front edge of the headliner down if you want to take a look up there. Remove your sun visors and their clips, the overhead console with the homelink buttons, the A pillar interior trim, and the trim around the sunroof opening and you should be able to drop that front edge enough to see pretty well what's going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom