Help with an oil leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is the only photo I have thorough the front

IMG_5951.jpeg

Possible relevant thread with some more info / pics of your alleged problem
>>rear main seal thoughts. - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/rear-main-seal-thoughts.1246334/

But I hope it's something more simple in your case. Hopefully someone with more experience than myself will send some info your way, maybe @jerryb ? What do you think, need more evidence to support rear main leak ? Or possible this is the culprit?
Yup I was looking through that the other day as well. It sounds possible and seems to be how the shop is leaning as well.

It has less than 130k on it and has oil changes every 5k so I’m a little shocked that honestly. The PO may have been putting HM oil in at 100k and after which sounds like it could contribute to this.

Those drips are almost always VCGs. If you take the cover off and feel inside it should be dry. If its covered with oil on the inside, then you're looking at a rear main seal.

Going to pick it up now and doing new VCG’s this weekend as Mike said. I have a suspicion this may be a lot simpler than what is being led on by the shop.
Soak the bolts and take your time. If they feel tight, go in and out little at a time allowing penetrant to soak in. although you said they were hand tight so maybe thats a good thing when it comes to remove / replace.

Hoping it's just valve cover gasket but you should be able to tell from peaking above and see if it's dry around the cover.

Sounds like previous comments are on your side for something more simple than crank seal. Good luck

all the vvti.s are bad, you should sell now, especially in florida with sub 200k miles.
Now that that's out of the way.

I think it's easy to rule out the rear main, take six cans of brake cleaner and take the inspection cover off, spray all up in there with a whole can and wait.
Do it again, wait, and again, let some days go by, do it again. You'll know what's leaking. You could do it with the valve covers off to. Check the half moons, etc.
A bad enough leak will leak all on it's own back there. Cam seals shouldn't leak.

It's hard to say anything with the engine covers on, more frequent occurrences of 06-7 inner rod steering racks, 3rd party oil changes, figure 8 oil housing install, list goes on.
You need someone smart that can write a complete sentence and take their time to find out where it's leaking from. Sad as it is, I bet there's only a few people in Miami that give enough S's to find out.
I think there's more than one thing going on in this, or your, instance.

Be careful telling someone to add torque to valve cover bolts. There's a metal cup washer and rubber washer for a reason. I'd consider one time use even if the book doesn't spec that, I'm not sure if it does.
Nothing wrong with going to up to 14 pounds though,, I readily admit they walk up at 9.5-10.5

Last edited:
Update for anyone curious. There certainly was 2 separate leaks. VCGs and oil cooler gasket were both done and it has been bone dry since.

I felt like I was going crazy and that maybe the oil cooler gasket was leaking before that oil changed that started this thread. I was looking through pictures and found one of the truck in its parking spot 3 weeks before that oil change and there is 0 oil spots underneath. If something happened in that oil change or it was just coincidental I have no clue….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom