Help with an oil leak (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_5889.jpeg
IMG_5887.jpeg
IMG_5892.jpeg
IMG_5891.jpeg
Took my 100 to a shop for a quick oil change a couple weeks ago and shortly after I started to notice oil spots underneath the vehicle. I had not had any oil leaking before this thought it was probably a cross threaded filter or something and decided to take it to a more reputable shop for them to look at and do another oil change just to be sure.

That was a couple days ago and when I walked back out to my vehicle tonight I noticed even more oil leaking. Can anyone tell what is going on here?

Note: I park on a slight slope towards the drivers side.

Have you tried to tighten up the oil filter? You will probably need to whip it down so you can get a good grip on it. Then whip everything down to clean up all the oil, that way you will have a semi clean undercarriage to inspect to help pinpoint the leak. I would also check the drain plug to make sure that isn't leaking as well. Lastly, check your oil level!

Personally I would avoid the quick-change oil shops...for reasons such as this. My $0.02. Have you taken it back to the second shop to let them know it is leaking?

Have you tried to tighten up the oil filter? You will probably need to whip it down so you can get a good grip on it. Then whip everything down to clean up all the oil, that way you will have a semi clean undercarriage to inspect to help pinpoint the leak. I would also check the drain plug to make sure that isn't leaking as well. Lastly, check your oil level!

Personally I would avoid the quick-change oil shops...for reasons such as this. My $0.02. Have you taken it back to the second shop to let them know it is leaking?
I tried hand tightening the oil filter after that picture but got no movement out of it.

Regarding the shop situation I took it to a quick change place and then noticed the leak a bit after and instead of taking it back there I took it to a more reputable shop that has done other work for me where they did a whole new change. Sadly that shop is closed for the holidays and won’t get me back in till next week.

My feeling is that when the first shop removed the oil filter they left behind the gasket and then had double gaskets which started the leak. I took it to the new shop they removed the new filter and saw the gasket on the filter but missed that their was a second one. They then put in the new filter basically just double gasket-ing it again… but I would be pretty surprised if this shop missed that since they have been pretty good to be but I have no other guesses.

There was a tiny bit of oil on the drain plug can’t tell if that is from the drain plug leaking or from the the filter and running down due to car being on a decline.

I tried hand tightening the oil filter after that picture but got no movement out of it.

Regarding the shop situation I took it to a quick change place and then noticed the leak a bit after and instead of taking it back there I took it to a more reputable shop that has done other work for me where they did a whole new change. Sadly that shop is closed for the holidays and won’t get me back in till next week.

My feeling is that when the first shop removed the oil filter they left behind the gasket and then had double gaskets which started the leak. I took it to the new shop they removed the new filter and saw the gasket on the filter but missed that there was a still a gasket in the housing (the original one). They then put in the new filter basically just double gasket-ing it again… but I would be pretty surprised if this shop missed that since they have been pretty good to be but I have no other guesses.

There was a tiny bit of oil on the drain plug can’t tell if that is from the drain plug leaking or from the the filter and running down due to car being on a decline.

My feeling is that when the first shop removed the oil filter they left behind the gasket and then had double gaskets which started the leak. I took it to the new shop they removed the new filter and saw the gasket on the filter but missed that their was a second one. They then put in the new filter basically just double gasket-ing it again… but I would be pretty surprised if this shop missed that since they have been pretty good to be but I have no other guesses.

My suggestion is to get a new oil filter (your local dealer should have them in stock), pull the one the oil change shop installed, clean up the mating surface, install a new filter, and top off the oil.

Last edited:
I agree^^^^

OEM filter is perfectly sized and comes with pre lubed seal. Once that aftermarket filter off. Inspect the seal surface, for nicks. It should be perfectly smooth and clean before installing new filter. Do not use filter tool to install. Once filter on sung, tighten about another 1/4 turn by hand.

9 out of 10 shops, do not lube your propeller shaft slide yokes or spiders. Which is recommended, with each oil change. Find and use only, good shop!

BTW: You may also have a steering rack leak. Clean oil off entire area, boot and all rubber bushing. Check, top & watch power steering reservoir level.

I once had a double gasket from failing to check. It was a gusher of oil spraying around, not a minor leak. That wasn’t a 2UZ, but I’m skeptical that’s the issue.

I agree^^^^

OEM filter is perfectly sized and comes with pre lubed seal. Once that aftermarket filter off. Inspect the seal surface, for nicks. It should be perfectly smooth and clean before installing new filter. Do not use filter tool to install. Once filter on sung, tighten about another 1/4 turn by hand.

9 out of 10 shops, do not lube your propeller shaft slide yokes or spiders. Which is recommended, with each oil change. Find and use only, good shop!

BTW: You may also have a steering rack leak. Clean oil off entire area, boot and all rubber bushing. Check, top & watch power steering reservoir level.
Thanks going to replace the filter today, really hoping it is just something simple like this. I just don’t know how the second shop would have missed this.

Also thanks for the insight on the steering rack leak.

I once had a double gasket from failing to check. It was a gusher of oil spraying around, not a minor leak. That wasn’t a 2UZ, but I’m skeptical that’s the issue.
Hm okay, this is certainly a slow leak so maybe not a double gasket. It just seems to be to be coming from the filter area both times.

Just wiped everything down and did a cold start and filmed underneath with the filter cover open and the droplet in this picture is where it is coming from
IMG_5910.jpeg

Just wiped everything down and did a cold start and filmed underneath with the filter cover open and the droplet in this picture is where it is coming from View attachment 3514399

There is a seal / o-ring behind the oil filter housing that some folks have seen leaking.

>> Have you tried to change the filter yet?

>> I'd spray some degreaser foam in there, hose it down, then proceed to remove and replace filter as suggested once everything is good and clean. Then monitor it. It's too hard to pin point a leak when everything is slimey

FYI if your issue is the o-ring, someone just did a nice write-up. The leak shown in the first image looks suspiciously like yours lol but start simple with the oil filter and cleaning it up
>> Oil Cooler Leak Repair guide for 2UZFE 100 series (LC or LX) - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/oil-cooler-leak-repair-guide-for-2uzfe-100-series-lc-or-lx.1306979/

On earlier picture, you showed clearly. Fresh oil where filter meets housing (seat).

This new drip after wipe, may be residual oil in area. I'd take off the #1 skid plate. You can remove oil filter and inspect it's seal, than reinstall it before beginning wash. Make sure, you oil rubber seal of filter, before installing it. Using degreasers, wash clean all areas of oil and grim until spotless. Get pictures evidence it is spotless. Then watch very close again, for reoccurrence of leak an pin point it..

There is another two leak points, which have nothing to do with oil change. We see after shops, replace steering rack. They remove oil cooler and bracket to oil pump. We see the figure 8 O-ring, bracket to oil pump leak the most. Second is large O-ring oil cooler to bracket. There is a large nut exposed, when oil filter removed from oil cooler. This nut should not be touched during OF&L service. But during a rack & pinion R&R, many leak at those seals (O-rings).

Next is BK 1 cam seal. This oil would show-up, on block just below BK 1 upper timing belt cover, first.

Next leak is seen at both side lower engine and timing belt lower cover weep hole. It's the O-ring top of oil pump. Based on picture of skid plate oil spot. This is not your issue. Nor crank shaft seal.

FWIW:
Double gasket is 98% unlikely. Since gasket is secured to filter.

Double gasket on drain plug, is very common, as is not torqueing to 29ft-lbf. These lube shop, pull anyone who claims to turn a wrench if even that.

Buy Cheap oil change, get more than cheap:
  1. Use cheap bulk oil & filter, unless upgrade requested and pay up charge.
  2. Over torque drain plug, damaging threads. Next time in for oil service, strip threads. Then they make worst, by oversizing drain plug. This leads to oil pan replacement.
  3. Cross thread drain plug.
  4. Under torque and use cheap gasket. Leaks
  5. Double gasket on drain plug.
  6. Drain transmission fluid, thinking engine oil. Than overfill engine, by ~7 qts, and transmission low by 3 to 4 qts.
  7. Top fluids. Use non Toyota brake fluid and over fill. Use power steering fluid to top Power steering reservoir. Which only ATF should be used.
  8. Forget to install drain plug.
  9. Wrong oil filter
  10. Over tighten oil filter
  11. Cross thread oil filter, but near impossible.
  12. Under fill
  13. Over fill.
  14. List goes on.
They call it Oil Filter & Lube (OF&L). But they no clue on the lube part.

Additionally. In first picture. It's clear. Lube techs (neither), did not properly clean oil cooler housing, where oil filter seats. Which should always be done.
You also said. Leak first noted, just after oil change.

All clues you've given, point to improper oil filter service.

Additionally. In first picture. It's clear. Lube techs (neither), did not properly clean oil cooler housing, where oil filter seats. Which should always be done.
You also said. Leak first noted, just after oil change.

All clues you've given, point to improper oil filter service.
Thanks a ton, this is what I get for being lazy and wanting something quick. Swapping filter for OEM and degreasing and cleaning area now.

Update: Still leaking with the new filter in so starting to think it might not have been oil change related and it just so happens to be I noticed it around the same time.

Still seeing oil leaking down past the filter shield onto some hoses and out, still super small drops. What should I be looking for next? Really hoping it’s not the cam seal as previously mentioned… it’s an 07 with only 130k on it.

Picture attached is where the oil was coming out of this morning. I did find this thread - Mysterious oil leak on driver side - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/mysterious-oil-leak-on-driver-side.1239897/

Where the origin location of the leak sounds super similar.

IMG_5946.jpeg

On earlier picture, you showed clearly. Fresh oil where filter meets housing (seat).

This new drip after wipe, may be residual oil in area. I'd take off the #1 skid plate. You can remove oil filter and inspect it's seal, than reinstall it before beginning wash. Make sure, you oil rubber seal of filter, before installing it. Using degreasers, wash clean all areas of oil and grim until spotless. Get pictures evidence it is spotless. Then watch very close again, for reoccurrence of leak an pin point it..

There is another two leak points, which have nothing to do with oil change. We see after shops, replace steering rack. They remove oil cooler and bracket to oil pump. We see the figure 8 O-ring, bracket to oil pump leak the most. Second is large O-ring oil cooler to bracket. There is a large nut exposed, when oil filter removed from oil cooler. This nut should not be touched during OF&L service. But during a rack & pinion R&R, many leak at those seals (O-rings).

Next is BK 1 cam seal. This oil would show-up, on block just below BK 1 upper timing belt cover, first.

Next leak is seen at both side lower engine and timing belt lower cover weep hole. It's the O-ring top of oil pump. Based on picture of skid plate oil spot. This is not your issue. Nor crank shaft seal.

FWIW:
Double gasket is 98% unlikely. Since gasket is secured to filter.

Double gasket on drain plug, is very common, as is not torqueing to 29ft-lbf. These lube shop, pull anyone who claims to turn a wrench if even that.

Buy Cheap oil change, get more than cheap:
  1. Use cheap bulk oil & filter, unless upgrade requested and pay up charge.
  2. Over torque drain plug, damaging threads. Next time in for oil service, strip threads. Then they make worst, by oversizing drain plug. This leads to oil pan replacement.
  3. Cross thread drain plug.
  4. Under torque and use cheap gasket. Leaks
  5. Double gasket on drain plug.
  6. Drain transmission fluid, thinking engine oil. Than overfill engine, by ~7 qts, and transmission low by 3 to 4 qts.
  7. Top fluids. Use non Toyota brake fluid and over fill. Use power steering fluid to top Power steering reservoir. Which only ATF should be used.
  8. Forget to install drain plug.
  9. Wrong oil filter
  10. Over tighten oil filter
  11. Cross thread oil filter, but near impossible.
  12. Under fill
  13. Over fill.
  14. List goes on.
They call it Oil Filter & Lube (OF&L). But they no clue on the lube part.
^^ Summed it up nicely.

Next step would be the o-ring behind the oil cooler bracket.

With everything clean and skid plate removed you should be bale to narrow it down. At the least you'll be able to see if it's coming from up above . It's less likely that you have a crank or cam seal leak, anything's is possible but there are other more usual suspects first.

Another update. Everything was cleaned up and I brought it back to my normal shop so they could lift it and monitor the leaks. Here are the pictures they sent me.

They are recommending I replace the crankshaft oil seal as well as the oil pan and gasket.

IMG_5948.jpeg

IMG_5949.jpeg

Another update. Everything was cleaned up and I brought it back to my normal shop so they could lift it and monitor the leaks. Here are the pictures they sent me.

They are recommending I replace the crankshaft oil seal as well as the oil pan and gasket.

View attachment 3519017

View attachment 3519018
Isn't that the rear of your motor ? Are you sure it's no leaking from up above at valve cover gasket ?

Isn't that the rear of your motor ? Are you sure it's no leaking from up above at valve cover gasket ?
They were hand tight when I checked them, I asked them to take a look again and they said they seemed fine.

But right they seem to be saying the leak is originating from the rear where as the oil I’m seeing is all coming from the filter housing area (or above)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom