Differential Leak Diagnosis - help needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I went to do a simple oil change yesterday, pulled the underbody guard and noticed what appears to be a leak at where the CV meets the Diff housing up front on the passenger side. I am guessing this is a seal on the Diff housing side and not the CV but am looking for the IH8MUD (aka. expert) opinion. Also, as it happens it looks like there is an additional slight leak at the back of the front diff housing where the propeller shaft comes in.

Any thoughts on the leaks as well as if the vehicle is still operable for some around the town driving for a bit?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_1852.jpeg

IMG_1853.jpeg

IMG_1854.jpeg

It doesn’t look bad, you’re fine driving it. Add 1.5oz AT-205 and clean it up with brake clean. Check on it in a thousand miles and see if it’s still an issue.

did you check the diff level?
no drips showing
did something above either leaking or spilled?

did you check the diff level?
no drips showing
did something above either leaking or spilled?
Didn't check the Diff level as a result of not having the additional crush washer to put it back together with the fill plug (maybe not a big deal but I just try not to do work unless I have a replacement for those parts).

There was a drip coming down from directly above the drain plug where the CV meets the housing (second picture) - it looked very slight after wiping it away and looking the next morning.

Wonder if it's just a small leak from the drain and/or fill plug that's been going on a while. I had a similar looking diff and my drain and fill plugs were able to be loosened by hand! I cleaned everything up very well, bought new crush washers and plugs and changed the fluid and no leaks since.

Does it smell like gear oil? Gear oil is pungent.

When we've leaks at all or most frt diff seals. First thing is to check is that, breather is not clogged.

Well… Thanks all - appreciate the insight, as always this community comes through… Unfortunately, I didn’t have time on my side and had to take it to the dealership. Both my front CVs had leaking boots (I knew this but wasn’t in a hurry as they were mild) and I also had a leaky seal at the Diff housing. Needless to say had both CVs replaced with OEM (it was basically as much as having them rebooted because of the labor cost) - wish I had been able to save some coin and do it myself but such is life. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom