Instead of PullPal....follow up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ever considered a patent and marketing it? you might give pullpal a run for there money.

when you make it big, just remember who suggested it.:cool:

While I've never seen one "on the market"...its hardly a new or novel idea (hell it's just a big tent stake).

Besides, it's something that can be made for much less than it could be bought.

Too, some nitwit would find a way to hurt himself with it, then I'd end up having to pay him obscene amounts of money for the rest of his life.

I'm gonna pass on it.

[thread hijack]

<==== new avatar, thanks :)

[/thread hijack]

And with a Hi-Lift, you and pull it back out super quick and easy.

Great deal flint.

Very nice. Where do you attach your winch cable? And what about some smaller ears on the pole for help in less firm soils? Not to hijack but what do you use in snow?

Looks cool.

JB

Very nice. Where do you attach your winch cable? And what about some smaller ears on the pole for help in less firm soils? Not to hijack but what do you use in snow?

Looks cool.

JB

I attach the cable/hook/strap/chain/snatch block in the areas shown in the pictures above.

Snow? What is this thing you speak of.... snow?

Seriously, it rarely snows in Deep East Texas but even when it does, there is always "ground" beneath the snow right?

I may have to dig down to find it in places where it piles up, but in that event....I'm more concerned with the frost line.

Like I said previously, it won't get you out of "everything", but it will get you out of most stuff.

I have an 8274 with 150' of cable and carry a 25' extension cable as well as recovery straps, snatch block, chain, choker cable, hi-lift, etc....

Even so, there are places here on the ranch where there are no trees available for hundreds of yards. I've got lockers front and rear and have been wheeling my Bronco for nearly 25 years, so I know what it will (and won't) do. Still, I manage to stick it sometimes.

Just another handy tool IMO, and very inexpensive.

great idea I like the fact it can be stowed easier than the pull-pal.
my only advice to people would be to make darn sure that thing is SECURED in your rig or your going to be a kabob in an accident.

Nice :)

I used your idea to make one for my golfcart (yeah, I'm that good at golf lol)

mybuddywinchwithwings2.JPG

mybuddywinchwithwings3.JPG

winchingbuddy.JPG

winchingbuddy2.JPG

winchingbuddy14.JPG

winchingbuddy5.JPG

winchingbuddy6.JPG

I call it my Winch Buddy ;)

YouTube - Winch Buddy Testing

Excellent job!

I really like the "standoffs" for softer soils.

You'll find that the tool will withstand quite a pull.

Not the "perfect" recovery tool by any means, but pretty damn handy and easy to take along. I've used mine for years with good success.

Good work Sir!

Just a quick pic. from the front seat to help show that I am indeed pulling up a grade.

winch3.jpg

And then this one… as the Bronco has crested the hill.

Anchor has not moved at all!

winch4.jpg

How hard is that to remove from the ground?

Depends on the soil.

Nearly always....I can grab the "handles" twist them back and forth while pulling up and it comes right out.

If I drive it down into something like hard clay...I simply leave the hook attached, spool in the cable until I'm right over the anchor and drive forward about a foot. This pulls the anchor up far enough to remove it by hand.

You won't have any problems removing it from most soils unless you have a serious physical disability.

I have had to "re-locate" the anchor a few times when driving it into the ground. But, this was in Central Texas where there is just a little dirt holding all that limestone together. Most places, it drives in fine, comes out fine.

A Hi-Lift will make short work of it too. I use Hi-Lifts all the time to remove similar things out of the ground.

A Hi-Lift will make short work of it too. I use Hi-Lifts all the time to remove similar things out of the ground.

I wasn't aware you actually had a hi-lift :flipoff2:

I wasn't aware you actually had a hi-lift :flipoff2:

I don't but work does. :flipoff2::flipoff2:

When we put in a temporary station (seismic or gps) it usually involves some sort of foundation made of concrete. The 'metal stakes' are for securing the equipment.

The high lift is pretty darn efficient at pulling it all back out.

As to the golfcart pullpal: winch + shackle + welded to post = projectile. Be careful.

If it were me, I would modify the pullpal thing to have the shackle go around the post.

As to the golfcart pullpal: winch + shackle + welded to post = projectile. Be careful.

If it were me, I would modify the pullpal thing to have the shackle go around the post.

I can't tell from the pics. whether the parts were "Arc" welded or "MIG", but either way...the rod/wire strength will run about 60,000 to 70,000 psi (tensile).

Assuming proper penetration and clean metal....he's gonna be O.K.

I can't tell from the pics. whether the parts were "Arc" welded or "MIG", but either way...the rod/wire strength will run about 60,000 to 70,000 psi (tensile).

Assuming proper penetration and clean metal....he's gonna be O.K.

Well, I'm pretty confident that he (and everyone else on this planet) knows more about welding than I do, so I'll take your word for it. However, following my suggestion would take the guesswork and assuming out of it.

I'm sort of a stickler for winch safety. If you saw someone launch a tow ball through the passenger seat of a pickup truck, you probably would be too.

Well, I'm pretty confident that he (and everyone else on this planet) knows more about welding than I do, so I'll take your word for it. However, following my suggestion would take the guesswork and assuming out of it.

I'm sort of a stickler for winch safety. If you saw someone launch a tow ball through the passenger seat of a pickup truck, you probably would be too.

I would never ask you to "take my word for it", google it.

You'll find that the most commonly used electrodes (6011,6010,7018,etc) have very high tensile strengths (psi).

The first number in the designation is the tensile strength, the second denotes the position the electrode is suitable for (1=all position) the last.. refers to various characteristics such as flux composition, burn rate, etc...

"MIG" wires typically go 60-70K as well.

Of course, tensile strength is not the only consideration. Adequate penetration must be had to ensure a proper weld. From what I can see, the welds on his winch buddy appear to be fine for his purpose, so I'm not "guessing", just suggesting that everyone pay attention to it.

Like you, I am a stickler for safety anytime a winch is involved. Believe me, if I had seen anything "suspect" about his winch buddy, I would be the first to point it out.

As for the trailer ball being launched, was it "welded" on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom