Installation of race on rear axle -- early style (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2fpower

SILVER Star
Threads
I am replacing the bearings and seals on my early axle (1971 FJ40) Pictures on page 5.

Utah... the "new blue" - the unforeseen build

Question is when reinstalling the race that is on the axle (not the bearing side that fits into the axle shaft) do you put any threadlocker or something to keep that inner race from moving? In my research I saw several threads where this race moved and that is what caused the oil leak on the rear axles.

FSM tells nothing; however the early FSM does not have much detail.

RTH... Axle is in freezer now.....

Thanks,

Did I stump the teachers?

I have never even considered using a threadlocker on this repair. I have never seen one come completely off either. Just a few cases where a race has drifted 1/8-1/4"

You are not usually impatient for an answer. Perhaps too much caffiene today.:p

Best

Mark

Perhaps too much caffiene today.:p

Best

Mark

Nailed it on the head on that one! :eek: Buying it by the gallon jug these days.

Thanks Mark.

In a similar vein, when installing the race on the axle, what's the best method? Press? Hammer and blocks?

Press and I can't see how the proper loctite product could hurt.

Hi 2fpower,
if you are a coffee drinker you probably have drip coffee maker with a hot plate. Place the inner race on the hot plate of the coffee maker and wait till it get hot. Stand your axles up so they are resting on the studs vertically. Assumes the race axle surface is clean and free from burrs etc.Take you hot inner race and drop it on the axle shaft and guide it with a gloved hand till it seats on the axle flange shoulder. It will shrink from the cold axle and be there for your lifetime. Almost no way you will have oil leak problems from that source. There is no real pressure in the diff housing unless the vents are plugged. Oil will find the easiest way out and going between two ground, tightly fitting surfaces is not one of them.
Don't over think these simple machines. IMHO.

Thanks jb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom