Ineos Grenadier 4x4 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TLC2013

SILVER Star
Threads
Stumbled across this new 4x4 that looks killer. Utilitarian design with minimal fluff. Not a fan of the typical over engineered and complicated European systems but this may be an exception as it was built from the ground up to be a simple minimalist 4x4....BMW engine so who knows how that will work out long term.

Pretty cool backstory on the design and vision behind this truck.

4A9C1067-D137-4674-A21D-B896F2E07EF1.png

Is it coming stateside? I'm sure Toyota is watching if it does.

Looks/sounds cool.

Is it coming stateside? I'm sure Toyota is watching if it does.

I doubt any large-scale manufacturer cares about something like this.

No-name brand.
Highly-specific vehicle aimed at an incredibly niche area of the market.
Borderline zero dealer network/support.

The average Joe would never buy this. As a slightly less than average Joe, I would never buy this (unless I hit a ridiculous lottery jackpot and already had 20 other vehicles).

Even if it were available here, its effects on Toyota's marketshare would be less than a drop in the ocean.

Last edited:
And.... not even close to 200-series tech.

The brains behind the project is a billionaire who was frustrated that there aren’t any current options of a no frills minimalistic off road truck. So he decides to build one from the ground up. Talk about a nice position to be in. Going to keep an eye on this thing, interested to see the real world results once it is released.

Looks/sounds cool.

No-name brand.

The average Joe would never buy this. As a slightly less than average Joe, I would never buy this (unless I hit a ridiculous lottery jackpot and already had 20 other vehicles).

Even if it were available here, its effects on Toyota's marketshare would be less than a drop in the ocean.

Sounds like Tesla a few years ago.

Looks/sounds cool.

No-name brand.

I agree it’s going to be small scale but if they sell enough for being a no brand thing then Toyota KNOWS that many people will line up to buy something like that from them. That could be a possibility because this is not some G wagon priced thing, it’s been said to undercut the Land Rover defender on pricing.

I agree it’s going to be small scale but if they sell enough for being a no brand thing then Toyota KNOWS that many people will line up to buy something like that from them. That could be a possibility because this is not some G wagon priced thing, it’s been said to undercut the Land Rover defender on pricing.

The question is what is "many"? And what kind of ROI will those "many" bring in?

Years ago I had a neighbour who was an ex product manager (or something like that) for Toyota, and had heavy involvement in development of the 2nd gen Tacoma. He told me they would have a board of ~10 people sit in a meeting for 6 hours to discuss a $0.10 part, and whether it was worth it. Over hundreds of thousands of vehicles, that minute expense makes a difference.

It would have to be a hell of a market demand for Toyota to change gears and start producing something along the lines of this Ineos model. Personally, I don't see it happening.

The question is what is "many"? And what kind of ROI will those "many" bring in?

Years ago I had a neighbour who was an ex product manager (or something like that) for Toyota, and had heavy involvement in development of the 2nd gen Tacoma. He told me they would have a board of ~10 people sit in a meeting for 6 hours to discuss a $0.10 part, and whether it was worth it. Over hundreds of thousands of vehicles, that minute expense makes a difference.

It would have to be a hell of a market demand for Toyota to change gears and start producing something along the lines of this Ineos model. Personally, I don't see it happening.

Interesting insight thanks. Yeah Toyota definitely can't go as hard core, but harder core than what they have now is always welcome :)

I am curious what the real vehicle will look like. Everything they’ve released is CGI or clay, so the real thing may be quite different. Pedestrian and occupant safety requirements are challenges to the aesthetics of a vehicle and translation from a sketch to the real thing is extremely difficult.

To be honest, IF i want something like this, then i would get Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. Likely more reliable. A lot more aftermarket support. Warranty and dealer support. Maybe safer too on-road. Likely more capable (since this Grenadier mentions nothing about lockers, 4:1 TC, sway disco). Better resale values. And more unique design...this Grenadier looks like Defender and G-wagen got together and have a baby.

I often wonder what the total market opportunity is in the US for a no frills minimalistic off road suv.

Of course, I have zero data, so this is me with my first cup of coffee of the day speculating around a virtual campfire, but I suspect it is pretty close to zero percent.

There are already options for new low frills offroad vehicles, and lots of used vehicles that meet the need.

Back to 200 content, if Toyota wanted to import a low frills offroad vehicle, they could easily bring a low spec 200 series here. People here have convinced me that Toyota never will.

Since they aren't telling us, we are left to speculate that they don't want to play in that market segment. Why bother when you are the largest volume selling manufacturer and you don't need to? Offroad SUV is barely something they market toward, and they already have niche vehicles to sell there (4Runner TRD Offroad/TRD Pro, and <hold the laughter please> the Sequoia TRD Pro).

Honestly, how many of us would really pony up for new a base model stripped out 200? And we're already self selected into the camp of people who love the 200, love them enough to modify them, and spend untold hours online chatting about them... I might, but I'd still want the meat and potatoes of a v8 and the nice automatic, which (at least from what I can see in other markets) they would never offer. Their well oiled production system and distribution network wouldn't support an a la carte menu for low volume vehicles like that (like the current 200 VX-R US market model of virtually no options) - if we got one, it'd probably end up with the small V6 engine a manual transmission. How many of those do we think would sell new off a dealer lot?...

I would love an option that is not over the top on"electronics" with a solid front axle. basically a 79 series LC..
its a damn shame that JEEP makes the only live axle US, SUV option!
I love the power of the 200 BUT, if I had to choose between the 200 and my 80 for long term reliability concerning electronics.. the 80 wins IMO

Sadly, will never happen .. the US market is made for a luxury car buyer

This....😊

Honestly, how many of us would really pony up for new a base model stripped out 200? And we're already self selected into the camp of people who love the 200, love them enough to modify them, and spend untold hours online chatting about them... I might, but I'd still want the meat and potatoes of a v8 and the nice automatic, which (at least from what I can see in other markets) they would never offer. Their well oiled production system and distribution network wouldn't support an a la carte menu for low volume vehicles like that (like the current 200 VX-R US market model of virtually no options) - if we got one, it'd probably end up with the small V6 engine a manual transmission. How many of those do we think would sell new off a dealer lot?...

Probably the most succinct and accurate argument in this debate and not dissimilar from that regarding a diesel 300. We want what we can’t have and then We tend to think we want it even more. Makes for for lively discussion, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom