I’m ok. Trucks not. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Every time I have gotten coverage on a land cruiser they have specifically stated that off road is not covered. Though I am not with any of the " big 5"... probably
Just a heads up to anyone whose insurance agent says that off-roading is covered - get it in writing. From what I've seen it is explicitly excluded on policies.

However if you're on a established "ROAD" albeit dirt and weren't driving on it with the intention of off-roading, you should be fine...but don't quote me on that. Coverage varies, but I've seen this get people coverage for stuff like this.

I think this is very state-dependent. In Colorado most/nearly all the "off-roading" is done on actual county roads. They are legitimate state or county maintained roads intended for registered vehicle travel. They are, therefore, simply roads and insurance coverage is the same as if you were driving down the highway.

If you're in a state like Texas where most all the land is private, that's probably not a road and coverage may not apply.

Obviously, don't take my word for it and check your policy to be sure, but once I understood the whole road/not a road thing it became much clearer.

Yeah, the guy that came out to look at it initially seemed like he was trying to get me to say it was a dedicated off road vehicle. I said no, i drop my kids off at the baby sitter 3 times a week and have taken it off road maybe 4 times. He didn’t have any further questions, my agent had no hesitation either. Told me I didn’t have to reassemble my climate control, I just showed him all the parts

The place I crashed is a dedicated off road area (Half Davis County Utah and half forest service when you get a bit higher.).

I keep replaying it in my head. I had been stuck on a similar hill before and was able to stop and figure out how to safely back out. I think I was too heavy and slid or the brakes went soft. My tires were not aired down either. Probably contributed.

Yeah, the guy that came out to look at it initially seemed like he was trying to get me to say it was a dedicated off road vehicle. I said no, i drop my kids off at the baby sitter 3 times a week and have taken it off road maybe 4 times. He didn’t have any further questions, my agent had no hesitation either. Told me I didn’t have to reassemble my climate control, I just showed him all the parts

The place I crashed is a dedicated off road area (Half Davis County Utah and half forest service when you get a bit higher.).

I keep replaying it in my head. I had been stuck on a similar hill before and was able to stop and figure out how to safely back out. I think I was too heavy and slid or the brakes went soft. My tires were not aired down either. Probably contributed.

were you in low range with center diff locked.

I was in low range, can’t remember but I don’t think the center was locked.

I want to buy your tires and wheels lol. If possible.

Glad you are okay!

Man that really sucks:( I'm so sorry for that. Also glad you're okay!

Does the LX turn off ABS when in low range? It might be that the ABS has kicked in on the lose stuff => no brakes? Mine only turns it off when I lock the rear diff I think.. Not sure how it is on the ATRAC cars.

Man thats some bad luck...just goes to show us that no matter the truck and gadgets if we dont have traction s8it can happen.. good to hear you are fine.. you can replace the LC.

May want to delete the second part of this in case your insurance comes looking? Not to get on you just a thought.

Last edited:
Well, got my stuff out of it, tow truck is going to get it out of my driveway tomorrow I think. Thursday I should have an offer on what they will give me for it.

I've already found a '16 4Runner Trail Premium that I should be picking up tomorrow. Well, at least doing the paperwork and pick up later. Busy week.

As much as I've dug into this and invested in it, I can't bring myself to buy another 100. I had longed for a cruiser for a while, and put so much effort into learning about it and how to maintain it. I was seriously proud to tell people I had a LC, but I missed my 4runner, and the 2016 Trail I drove just felt like I was home. I want the cheap parts availability and huge aftermarket support. My last daily driver wasn't a project, and the LC turned into way more of a project than I thought it would.

I'll be sticking around here, I've got a few sticker ideas to throw out, and I still owe someone one.
I wouldn't let them take it until you agree on value, etc. You may never see it again, and they're offer will be less than you're hoping for.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I didn’t describe it well enough.

I don’t know what they’d come looking for. I showed the insurance guy everything and he signed off on it and said it didn’t matter if it wasn’t assembled. I told him like 5 times if it makes a difference I’ll put it all back together. He said don’t worry about it. I’ve had my agent for like 14 years, plus my wife’s family had him for another 10 before we got together, maybe I’m naive but I still trust people sometimes. Maybe I get burned out from never trusting anyone at work so I just start trusting them when I’m not working. Lol

Got the offer from the insurance today, I was surprised at how reasonable it was. I thought I’d be fighting to get close to what I bought it for. The offer was below what I bought it for, but I had backed into a pole and didn’t make a claim. Basically if I didn’t have the mods on there I would have taken it on the spot.

Maybe I’m playing with fire, but I told them I wanted to submit some receipts for the aftermarket parts that were upgrades.

SPC Ucas, OME shocks, springs, TBs, Slee diff drop.

I don’t expect to receive dollar for dollar credit, but I’d be happy with some added value since the parts could be pulled and sold for probably half of what they cost me.

I expect a dime to dollar. Do you have the old parts to swap back?

Receipts for objectively upgraded parts can help. If they're easy to consider just maintenance items though, you won't do as well. Be prepared to explain to the provider exactly how these were upgrades, and not just replacement parts.

from my own claim "aftermarket" or "upgrade" were not covered.
if you "upgraded" a part like the UCA it is considered part of the truck.
this was from my experience. sorry.

Yeah, I’m not going to be too put out if they don’t hook me up for sit all. I could have swapped the torsion bars and springs and diff drop, but then I’d have it sitting at my house for another week, and I don’t want to tear into it again. Plus I don’t have the stock ucas. Just sending it to them since my agent said to. Overall I’m pretty satisfied with how they have handled everything. Farmers is ok in my book.

Can you buy it back cheap and pull the upgrades off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom