I'm locked up, but they'll let me out... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Land Speeder

InstaH8R
Threads
Just installed my Aussie locker! And it took me under 4 hours, I'd never opened the 3rd member so it was an experience that I took in and took my time and had help.
I wonder if it will quiet down. I've driven about 10 miles on it so the initial lube noises are gone and now just typical clickng when turning. But it's louder than I've heard Aussies sound so will the pawls somewhat wear down and sound quieter during turns? Just wondering if Aussie owners remember if thiers started loud and began to wane.
Overall, I'm digging it! Testing it on the trail tomorrow!

The aussie in my 40 never quited down and its been a year. Great locker.

Romer said:
The aussie in my 40 never quited down and its been a year. Great locker.

Romer, good to know. S it seems that some are quiter than others. Is it your DD? I take it not since you also have an 80. I drive my 80 about 20 miles a day. Wonder if that will help. Also wonder if a different weight gear oil would do anything? Or if more or less sticky grease would matter...

Gear oil does make a difference IIRC.

I hope it turns out food for you, as I too will be getting into an aussie locked 80 hopefully soon. I'm anxious to see how it works out, as the only comparison I have is with e-lockers.

Im just curious - you are not still running a smaller diameter spare tire are you?

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=50086

attachment.php

The Aussie Locker operating guide calls out tires that are no greater than 3/8" difference in the circumference. The reason for this is that the locker will see a different size tire (smaller for example than the usual tire set up) as the "spinning wheel" and will disconnect this wheel from the cam gear. When driving a distance this results in constant lock/unlock or just constant unlock on one side with all driving done on one wheel. Can you do this in an emergency, sure, but be aware of the issues in handling and wear and stress on the diff. Hope this clarifies why this requirement is called out in our manual and is a warranty consideration. We dont care if you run 37" tires, but do need them to meet the size specifications for proper Aussie Locker operation.

hmm.... some more thinking on this....

lets say you are running a BFG TAKO 285 75 16 D range tire on one side of your aussie locker and one 285 75 16 E range tire on the other side

according to http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/assets/pdf/all_terrain_ta_kd.pdf

the specs are
LT285/75R16/D 32.8 inch dia
LT285/75R16/E 33.0 inch dia

I calculate the circumferences to be 102.992 inches and 103.62 inches - almost 3/4 of an inch and twice what Aussie Locker wants

and then you also have the situation where you have a tire on the left with lots of tread left and the one on the right has almost no tread left.

might be a good idea to jack up the truck and measuring the circumferences of each tire

Last edited:
Rusty Phillips said:
Im just curious - you are not still running a smaller diameter spare tire are you?

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=50086

No... qouting myself in another post on that thread, "I figured that when I install my Aussie this weekend I would no longer be able to use a different size".

That's it, I'm done. I just got back from testing the locker in the situations I bought it for. I never realized exactly what I was missing. I knew I was missing something by not having lockers but how much I did not know! I got up this hill with absolutely no problems and usually always have to finesse up, well this time I crawled right up the worst rut...

Both of the aussies I have owned were quiet from the beginning with standard 90 weight gear lube. I can't say enough good things about aussie lockers. They are great.

Great news a locker for Gray Rock!
We have installed 2 in our club both people are happy.

fj60guy said:
Great news a locker for Gray Rock!
We have installed 2 in our club both people are happy.

If only I could convince you to build me some of those MS custom sliders before then as well. I heard yours were nice...

use redline 90w-140 and it should quiet down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom