New to me 97 FZJ 80 Triple locked - Both Lockers wont disengage?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It’s pretty straight forward, IIRC I followed the thread in the FAQ. Keep the bolts to the back cover of the TC well organized as they are bolt hole specific because they are several different lengths. Depending on the year of your truck you will want to add a CDL switch so you can control the CDL in high range.

It’s pretty straight forward, IIRC I followed the thread in the FAQ. Keep the bolts to the back cover of the TC well organized as they are bolt hole specific because they are several different lengths. Depending on the year of your truck you will want to add a CDL switch so you can control the CDL in high range.
Ok. In my 97 there is a button that shows an image of the center diff being locked. I am not sure what difference that is to putting my 96 Bronco in 4wd, I assume the CDL is the same thing as the 4x4 button on a north american made truck, just different terminology. So correct me if I’m wrong but I already have the CDL switch you are referring to correct?

Sorry if these questions seem ridiculous, I know the 96 Bronco forwards and backwards, but I dont know a darn thing about Land Cruisers (viscous couplers are dumb)! I just bought mine a couple weeks back.

IMG_1227.jpeg

Sound like you are all set, your FZJ80 is full time 4wd but the center diff is open by default. In normal driving conditions power will be distributed to both the front and rear axles. In slick driving conditions the power is going to go to the axle with the least traction because of the open center diff. The CDL switch allows you to lock the center diff so that power is evenly distributed to the front and rear axles.

Sound like you are all set, your FZJ80 is full time 4wd but the center diff is open by default. In normal driving conditions power will be distributed to both the front and rear axles. In slick driving conditions the power is going to go to the axle with the least traction because of the open center diff. The CDL switch allows you to lock the center diff so that power is evenly distributed to the front and rear axles.

I understood the VC to act like limited slip in a diff where torque was shifted away from the low traction axle and to the high traction axle. Seems to be the operation described below as well.
1697492701807.png

Ah, ok so thats why it has a viscous coupler in the transfer case. I didnt know it was full time 4wd.

Now I wish I had a working VC but darned if I’ll pay $1k for a used one or $3k+ for a new transfer case.

Awesome, thanks bud.

My VC was seized on my 97 when I received it and I pulled it. No issues with the vehicle without it, CDL is there if I need the traction which only been in snow or ice. I definitely engage it when the going gets challenging off-road.

Now I wish I had a working VC but darned if I’ll pay $1k for a used one or $3k+ for a new transfer case.

Once you get out on the trail you will find out the lack of viscous couple is not a obstacle or not needed. Just make sure the CDL works properly. Living in Florida, on-road a viscous coupler is of no use. If you lived in an area where there is ice and snow then it may be helpful.

You will find the fulltime system is far superior to the 4WD of your Bronco. Just get out on the trails and prove it to yourself.

Once you get out on the trail you will find out the lack of viscous couple is not a obstacle or not needed. Just make sure the CDL works properly. Living in Florida, on-road a viscous coupler is of no use. If you lived in an area where there is ice and snow then it may be helpful.

You will find the fulltime system is far superior to the 4WD of your Bronco. Just get out on the trails and prove it to yourself.
Yeah the plan is to sell my Bronco if I decide to keep the FZJ80. I always wanted one, but I know that Bronco inside and out, and it has more room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom