Builds Ikarus' LX470 Offroad Build and BS (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What spare tire maxtrax mounts were you considering? (This may be the most aesthetic option as it fills the gap between carrier & hatch)

Wishful thinking but was wondering if mounting the maxtrax on the inside of the Slee ladder would be an option (looks like the bend in the design may interfere from a flush mount)

I was looking at the eBay knock-offs specifically because they had a hi lift base platform built in (concern for beach driving) but the design doesn’t have the same mounting points as the maxtrax

I would drive over to Utah just to see your rig and get a photography lesson from you...

You're welcome to stop by anytime man!

Devil's Playground I presume? I really like that area, and would love to spend more time up there.

If you do decide to do the SAS, I'd vote for the custom axle route - much fewer compromises than using/modifying an 80 axle. Certainly more $$$ with the custom axle, but you'll be much happier with the end result. Last thing you want is to do a swap and end up not loving the way it turned out.

Yeah, Devil's Playground. Same here, I'd been up a few years ago but never really looked around. Lots of easy but fun trails - though the snow made a bunch of them kinda sketchy.

And yeah agreed on the custom axle - would be nice to do it right the first time.

What spare tire maxtrax mounts were you considering? (This may be the most aesthetic option as it fills the gap between carrier & hatch)

Wishful thinking but was wondering if mounting the maxtrax on the inside of the Slee ladder would be an option (looks like the bend in the design may interfere from a flush mount)

I was looking at the eBay knock-offs specifically because they had a hi lift base platform built in (concern for beach driving) but the design doesn’t have the same mounting points as the maxtrax

Was going to use this: https://www.maxtrax.com.au/product/maxtrax-rear-wheel-harness/
So it would outside the wheel. I'll have to check if there's space on the inside - I think the two maxtrax stacked would be too wide.
I won't be able to use the trasharoo anymore, so maybe I'll use this as an excuse to get a roof rack!

Did you camp out there? Sleep in the truck?

I think I need to get those Slee extended brake lines on before I go stretching it out really far but let’s go wheeling!

Was going to use this: MAXTRAX Rear Wheel Harness - MAXTRAX
So it would outside the wheel. I'll have to check if there's space on the inside - I think the two maxtrax stacked would be too wide.
I won't be able to use the trasharoo anymore, so maybe I'll use this as an excuse to get a roof rack!

A Trasharoo will still fit with the Maxtrax mounted to their wheel harness. It's a little more important to make sure the Trasharoo straps stay tight, but it does work. Couple pics below from a quick Googling:
doqbd96ihydtokfrkhzk.jpg
Cg_w3-3WIAA4t2i.jpg

But, that doesn't mean you can't still get a roof rack.;)

Did you camp out there? Sleep in the truck?

I think I need to get those Slee extended brake lines on before I go stretching it out really far but let’s go wheeling!

Yeah just in a tent. It was a little chilly but honestly not too bad. I’ll let you know next time, this one was last minute!

Those are all amazing pics but that first one is phenomenal!! Wishing I had the same commute to work:eek:

Dang! Where were you working where that was the drive home? Haha.

This was Six Mile Canyon down in central Utah close to Gunnison. Looking for mountain lions

Those are all amazing pics but that first one is phenomenal!! Wishing I had the same commute to work:eek:

Thanks man! Not every day has a commute like this but sometimes I get lucky

Last edited:
Installed the Wit's End fire extinguisher mount today.

qbgFAZ0.jpg

Parts:

Mount: 100 Series Fire Extinguisher Mount-Right Side

Drake Quick Release: https://www.amazon.com/Drake-Off-Ro...sr=8-3&keywords=drake+fire+extinguisher+mount

Clamps: https://www.amazon.com/Drake-Off-Ro...ywords=drake+off+road+clamp+fire+extinguisher

Fire Extinguisher: https://www.amazon.com/H3R-Performa...7367910&sr=8-8&keywords=h3r+fire+extinguisher

And 2x 5/16-18x1 countersunk cap screws with lock nuts and washers.

Very simple install: remove plastic covers over seat bolts (probably break them like i did,) and loosen or remove the seat bolts.

koybB7n.jpg

TrHRKqG.jpg

Attach quick release to mount:

ii9GSAC.jpg

yxxxyCl.jpg

Then install under seat mounts:

X8OoygW.jpg

iVjYA29.jpg

The Weathertech mat just barely fits, and is pushing up under the quick release mount. I'll probably get out the heat gun and see if i can bend it into place better.

fARG1tF.jpg

ZQjzxJX.jpg

hwreyIm.jpg

With this setup I can move the seat all the way forward -

n2fnFJK.jpg

tjLhiAl.jpg

It's a real quality product and I'm very happy with how it turned out.

dVhSezl.jpg

qbgFAZ0.jpg

Parts:

Mount: 100 Series Fire Extinguisher Mount-Right Side

Drake Quick Release: https://www.amazon.com/Drake-Off-Ro...sr=8-3&keywords=drake+fire+extinguisher+mount

Clamps: https://www.amazon.com/Drake-Off-Ro...ywords=drake+off+road+clamp+fire+extinguisher

Fire Extinguisher: https://www.amazon.com/H3R-Performa...7367910&sr=8-8&keywords=h3r+fire+extinguisher

And 2x 5/16-18x1 countersunk cap screws with lock nuts and washers.

Very simple install: remove plastic covers over seat bolts (probably break them like i did,) and loosen or remove the seat bolts.

koybB7n.jpg

TrHRKqG.jpg

Attach quick release to mount:

ii9GSAC.jpg

yxxxyCl.jpg

Then install under seat mounts:

X8OoygW.jpg

iVjYA29.jpg

The Weathertech mat just barely fits, and is pushing up under the quick release mount. I'll probably get out the heat gun and see if i can bend it into place better.

fARG1tF.jpg

ZQjzxJX.jpg

hwreyIm.jpg

With this setup I can move the seat all the way forward -

n2fnFJK.jpg

tjLhiAl.jpg

It's a real quality product and I'm very happy with how it turned out.

dVhSezl.jpg
I agree, looks quality.

Most extinguisher mounting looks “rigged” while this setup looks like it belongs with a finished look.

Pictures of install make it look easy (more so than it probably was). I can’t believe it allows you to keep the full range of seat movement.

Smartest thing you did was install it on the passenger side. I definitely see where the optional locking lid could be a very useful addition.

Excellent write up. Thanks for putting in the time.

That’s awesome man! Does it get in the way of your feet at all when you sit in the passenger seat? Thanks for posting all the part numbers and links! Really helpful.

Is there any chance the Weathertech could fit under the Wit's End mount itself? Maybe with a little heat gun coaxing? Thanks for writing this all up—minus the new mount and extinguisher, I have exactly the same setup and it's helpful to see.

I agree, looks quality.

Most extinguisher mounting looks “rigged” while this setup looks like it belongs with a finished look.

Pictures of install make it look easy (more so than it probably was). I can’t believe it allows you to keep the full range of seat movement.

Smartest thing you did was install it on the passenger side. I definitely see where the optional locking lid could be a very useful addition.

Excellent write up. Thanks for putting in the time.

Yeah I think I need to get the locking lid now. Would be a cool addition!

That’s awesome man! Does it get in the way of your feet at all when you sit in the passenger seat? Thanks for posting all the part numbers and links! Really helpful.

For sure man. For me it doesn’t get in the way - and my wife didn’t mind it today either. You might catch the edge of the extinguisher getting in and out though. I put the nozzle on the inside to make it less likely to accidentally pull out the pin.

K9YddLa.jpg

Is there any chance the Weathertech could fit under the Wit's End mount itself? Maybe with a little heat gun coaxing? Thanks for writing this all up—minus the new mount and extinguisher, I have exactly the same setup and it's helpful to see.

Yeah it probably could with a heat gun. Also could probably drill holes in the mat and mount the quick release through the mat to the mount - but then it would be a process to take out the mats.

Max your write up and build is awesome. I found it from Expedition Utah, I recently picked up an 01 100 and have been liking it a lot we will have to go out in to the west desert sometime soon. Keep up with the awesome content.

Max your write up and build is awesome. I found it from Expedition Utah, I recently picked up an 01 100 and have been liking it a lot we will have to go out in to the west desert sometime soon. Keep up with the awesome content.

Nice, let's do it man! Glad you like the build, I'm enjoying it. You still working at Cruiser Outfitters?

I just spent the last two days reading through this entire thread. I picked up an LX470 just on Monday and seeing this whole thread full of photos and such detailed posts with your selection of upgrades has given me a perfect guide on what I want/need to do over the next couple of months. It is better that you are local, and a BMW guy (are you on UBE too?). Keep posting all your updates and photos!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom