Builds Ikarus' LX470 Offroad Build and BS (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

qbaDGyt.jpg

Quick southeast UT/southwest CO trip this week.

TwzLKsE.jpg

fpdfyNI.jpg

It got me thinking about a hardshell rooftop tent. Maybe a Columbus, Maggiolina, or the new Eezi Awn Dart. Anyone tried an iKamper? I like that they're a lot bigger, but I prefer the more streamlined profiles of the first 3.

2vLVXE9.jpg

Though I would lose the use of my garage - so I'm trying to decide if it would be worth it.

jxFUuF4.jpg

Other than that, not much going on. A part of me wants to pick up the Trail Tailor 1" body lift and some 315s even though I really don't need it.

I was feeling amazed that I might actually be close to finishing a project completely for once - but then I remembered that part time would be sweet too... as well as a dual battery setup, skid plates, drawers, offroad lights, timbren bumpstops, stage 4 icons, a snorkel, haha. It'll probably never end.

How about a trailer with RTT? Thats my future plan anyway. Try offerup, ive seen some RTT's dirt cheap...like half price.

How about a trailer with RTT? Thats my future plan anyway. Try offerup, ive seen some RTT's dirt cheap...like half price.

Yeah I've considered a used RTT - could just replace the mattress. And I haven't tried a trailer yet. I think there's a place around here that rents them - maybe I'll try before I buy.

Im running a roofnest sparrow, pretty big fan. It's no frills but setup is quick and it's fun having a tree house anywhere. Quiet in the wind too. I'm only 5'10" tho, the sparrow might be tight if your a bigger guy (they have a bigger model tho). Also, breakdown takes a few tries to get the hang of because it's not hindged on the end.

Im running a roofnest sparrow, pretty big fan. It's no frills but setup is quick and it's fun having a tree house anywhere. Quiet in the wind too. I'm only 5'10" tho, the sparrow might be tight if your a bigger guy (they have a bigger model tho). Also, breakdown takes a few tries to get the hang of because it's not hindged on the end.

View attachment 1962690

Nice, I was wondering about those. How is it in bad weather - wind, rain - or the cold? I just tried out a tepui hardshell today and liked that it had a quilted liner on the top.

I love your pictures. And I'm jealous of you geography.

Sounds like you're in a similar spot as me. My truck has just about all it 'needs' for my purposes but then... Some drawers could be useful. And a rear tire carrier. And maybe some lockers. And maybe some skids are cool, they're like an investment. Mark Levinson is ok but is it really ok? Are my TSX projectors putting out enough light? How pressing is it to finish up this W126 limousine project I've put on hold for two years to build up 100s??

Whatever you decide to add, I bet you inspire at least a dozen others to do the same. Your rig is beautiful and definitely the source for many people here, my self included.

Nice, I was wondering about those. How is it in bad weather - wind, rain - or the cold? I just tried out a tepui hardshell today and liked that it had a quilted liner on the top.

Great in the wind, was blowing 30-35 that night with no issues. It has a quilted liner of sorts on the top, but I wouldn't say it's insulted. Blocks out the wind very well but I was still sleeping with the same sleeping bag I'd sleep with in a ground tent. I think they do sell fitted insulation pads that wrap around the inside but I haven't felt the need yet. No experience in the heavy rain yet, time with tell with that one. I can take more photos if you want, just let me know.

I love your pictures. And I'm jealous of you geography.

Sounds like you're in a similar spot as me. My truck has just about all it 'needs' for my purposes but then... Some drawers could be useful. And a rear tire carrier. And maybe some lockers. And maybe some skids are cool, they're like an investment. Mark Levinson is ok but is it really ok? Are my TSX projectors putting out enough light? How pressing is it to finish up this W126 limousine project I've put on hold for two years to build up 100s??

Whatever you decide to add, I bet you inspire at least a dozen others to do the same. Your rig is beautiful and definitely the source for many people here, my self included.

Thanks man. Yeah, I know right, I feel the same about all of the above. You just reminded me I'd like to upgrade the sound system one day too, but the $5 cassette adapter has been working alright for two years now. And yeah multiple projects gets real tough.. w126 limo would be sick though! I've always wanted a 190e cosworth.

Great in the wind, was blowing 30-35 that night with no issues. It has a quilted liner of sorts on the top, but I wouldn't say it's insulted. Blocks out the wind very well but I was still sleeping with the same sleeping bag I'd sleep with in a ground tent. I think they do sell fitted insulation pads that wrap around the inside but I haven't felt the need yet. No experience in the heavy rain yet, time with tell with that one. I can take more photos if you want, just let me know.

Very cool. Do you have a picture of it closed?

I would't sacrifice garage parking for a RTT. What's wrong with the tent on the ground?

I've got an ARB awning and ARB room with floor orwhatevertheycallit that comfortably fits a queen air mattress and 2 big dog beds. Stands up to brutal thunderstorms pretty well too. Probably wouldn't want to be on the roof for that. Awning and roof rack are easy to switch between my 80 and 100 and stores easily as well.

I don't like Roof tents...

I would't sacrifice garage parking for a RTT. What's wrong with the tent on the ground?

I've got an ARB awning and ARB room with floor orwhatevertheycallit that comfortably fits a queen air mattress and 2 big dog beds. Stands up to brutal thunderstorms pretty well too. Probably wouldn't want to be on the roof for that. Awning and roof rack are easy to switch between my 80 and 100 and stores easily as well.

Different strokes for different folks for sure. It's all about speed for me, I can be setup and cooking dinner in less than 5 minutes. no sleeping pads to blow up, lines to guy out, or sleeping bags to unpack. Makes a difference after a day of fun in the mountains.

View attachment 1965274

That's a cool setup man, hadn't thought about doing something like that. But I agree, I've enjoyed ground tents for the last 20 years - though I would enjoy a faster setup/takedown time. OZ Tents look interesting in that regard.

Different strokes for different folks for sure. It's all about speed for me, I can be setup and cooking dinner in less than 5 minutes. no sleeping pads to blow up, lines to guy out, or sleeping bags to unpack. Makes a difference after a day of fun in the mountains.

Agreed. That's what I'm most interested in - pop the tent, keep bedding inside and you're ready to go. And for me I really don't mind having multiple tents for different camping setups. I've been using that North Face for years and I would probably keep using it in snow, or stormy/windy weather. But it really is a pain to put out a ground cloth, stake it down, setup the tent, set up the rain fly, transfer gear, set up pad, etc etc. especially if I'm moving on in the morning. Setting up for a few days at a time is a different story.

But for calm, dry 30-70° nights in the Utah desert, which makes up a good majority of my camping, a RTT might be perfect.

Coming from a 1st gen Dcab Tacoma and acquiring a taste for, and a good deal on, a 100 series, reading though your post has been like reading through BoxRockets Dcab and then 80 series builds. Lovely attention to detail, great photos, and quality part selection. Congrats on a great truck and thank you for sharing.

Brandon

Coming from a 1st gen Dcab Tacoma and acquiring a taste for, and a good deal on, a 100 series, reading though your post has been like reading through BoxRockets Dcab and then 80 series builds. Lovely attention to detail, great photos, and quality part selection. Congrats on a great truck and thank you for sharing.

Brandon

Glad to hear! Good luck with your new build.

Got a lot of small things to work on.

vPT4Oe9.jpg

First, the annoying side of beadlocks - I got a screw in my tire, so I disassembled it to patch it, only to find that the screw didn't go through. Put the tire back together, and hopefully it will hold air.

MQD3idM.jpg

czA0vve.jpg

PY9XYS3.jpg

82CY6Fa.jpg

Next up were extended sway bar links from @TRAIL TAILOR and new SPC UCA ball joints from @cruiseroutfit.

ManKoC8.jpg

evRvLPd.jpg

I just drove around and hit some of the biggest bumps in the neighborhood - and I wish I wouldn't have waited so long to get these - feels like the suspension geometry is better already.

4a0ahcf.jpg

Torque for that top nut is 18 ft-lb. I might have tightened it too much since my torque wrench only goes from 50-200 so I had to go the gutentight method.. oh well.

Next up is stainless steel brake lines, asap. Front passenger has a small bubble in it.

Also, rotated my tires - getting tons of wear up front compared to the back - anyone else see that on their 100? I need to get another alignment cause it seems like I have a little too much positive camber up front, but I don't think that's the cause. The wear is pretty even across both tires that have been on front for about 4K miles now.

Also, rotated my tires - getting tons of wear up front compared to the back - anyone else see that on their 100? I need to get another alignment cause it seems like I have a little too much positive camber up front, but I don't think that's the cause. The wear is pretty even across both tires that have been on front for about 4K miles now.

I get the same—very even wear, but the fronts are pretty clearly wearing down faster than the rear. I'm guessing in my case that it has more to do with weight—bumper, sliders, skids in the front, nothing (yet) in the rear. I have a drawer system in the back that's usually loaded, but maybe not enough to match. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I get the same—very even wear, but the fronts are pretty clearly wearing down faster than the rear. I'm guessing in my case that it has more to do with weight—bumper, sliders, skids in the front, nothing (yet) in the rear. I have a drawer system in the back that's usually loaded, but maybe not enough to match. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, my fronts wear a little quicker than the rears. I only have a bullbar on the front with a big battery (no winch yet or dual setup). My rear is loaded with a drawer system, fridge, rooftop tent, BIOR rear bumper with spare/dual cans/60" hi-lift and boards. My most recent alignment readings are as follows:

Left Front:
Camber = -0.1
Caster = 2.4
Toe = -0.1
Right Front:
Camber = 0.2
Caster = 2.4
Toe = -0.1
My total toe is -0.2 and "steer ahead" is 0.00

Left Rear:
Camber = -0.5
Toe = 0.06
Right Rear:
Camber = -0.2
Toe = 0.11
My total toe is 0.17 and thrust angle is -0.03

I have the ToughDog 53mm front/45mm rear on dual rate heavy coils with a total lift of just shy of 2" on 275/70/18 KO2. I rotate every oil change (5k). Mileage at 47k with 8/32nds at last reading (1k ago). I run at 42psi front/45psi rear on pavement and 20psi front/23psi rear off-road.

Got a lot of small things to work on.

vPT4Oe9.jpg

First, the annoying side of beadlocks - I got a screw in my tire, so I disassembled it to patch it, only to find that the screw didn't go through. Put the tire back together, and hopefully it will hold air.

MQD3idM.jpg

czA0vve.jpg

PY9XYS3.jpg

82CY6Fa.jpg

Next up were extended sway bar links from @TRAIL TAILOR and new SPC UCA ball joints from @cruiseroutfit.

ManKoC8.jpg

evRvLPd.jpg

I just drove around and hit some of the biggest bumps in the neighborhood - and I wish I wouldn't have waited so long to get these - feels like the suspension geometry is better already.

4a0ahcf.jpg

Torque for that top nut is 18 ft-lb. I might have tightened it too much since my torque wrench only goes from 50-200 so I had to go the gutentight method.. oh well.

Next up is stainless steel brake lines, asap. Front passenger has a small bubble in it.

This sway bar links are always sitting in my shopping cart... I need to just pull the trigger.

Also after owning a rtt for a year I have some thoughts. They are cool and fun but that’s about it. Real world driving I get a little annoyed with it. Not being able to park where I want in cities get frustrating. Not to mention it’ll make your already terrible gas mileage worse. Are they quick and easy yes but are they worth the cost of entry nope. I love mine but if I did it again I wouldn’t have bought it and will not buy another.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom