Builds Ikarus' HDJ81 Offroad Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had a rub on the tail pipe section as the hanger back there was very close to the body. During shut down there was a very noticeable rattle sound which I fixed with some shims and loosening and retightening the hanger nuts and bolts once positioned a little further in towards the center of the truck. I didn’t have the same rubbing as Ikarus did near the front. I have the RSS model and it is nice and loud. I love it.

I appreciate the detailed reply. Can you expand on the rubbing issue you experienced? Any photos of where that was and what you did to correct? Anything related to the exhaust fabrication?
I don't see any options on their site. Seems like only one type is available:
View attachment 3476063

It was likely rubbing due to alignment. My exhaust rubs the rear crossmember. It needs shimmed but I'm to lazy to care.

No exhaust just "fits"
They all need loose installed and fiddled with. Sometimes you get it right. Sometimes you drive it and find issues.
I had a rub on the tail pipe section as the hanger back there was very close to the body. During shut down there was a very noticeable rattle sound which I fixed with some shims and loosening and retightening the hanger nuts and bolts once positioned a little further in towards the center of the truck. I didn’t have the same rubbing as Ikarus did near the front. I have the RSS model and it is nice and loud. I love it.
Same rattle I have

It was likely rubbing due to alignment. My exhaust rubs the rear crossmember. It needs shimmed but I'm to lazy to care.

No exhaust just "fits"
They all need loose installed and fiddled with. Sometimes you get it right. Sometimes you drive it and find issues.

Same rattle I have
Yeah that's been my experience too

No exhaust just "fits"

Same rattle I have
You might have to go back from tail to down pipe and loosen/move, loosen /move and so forth. That’s what I did once I found the rattle. Once found, now quiet.

You might have to go back from tail to down pipe and loosen/move, loosen /move and so forth. That’s what I did once I found the rattle. Once found, now quiet.

I have. I've had it off. The clearance on the exhaust is so small. I just ignore it

I appreciate the detailed reply. Can you expand on the rubbing issue you experienced? Any photos of where that was and what you did to correct? Anything related to the exhaust fabrication?
I don't see any options on their site. Seems like only one type is available:
View attachment 3476063

I'd suggest also looking at exhaust systems for HDJ100.
Much straighter pathway with the exhaust running on the inner side of the frame rail all the way to the back.

Example here ( no endorsement, affiliation etc)

Small stuff this weekend.

0FNLsE5.jpg

- Drained rear diff and transfer case. Both looking good, no major metal shavings or even much sludge.
- Filled with synthetic 75W90
- Changed out fill and drain plugs for the newer 90341-18021
- Greased driveshafts. Cleaned up most of my driveline thunks, happy about that
- Winterized with fluid film. Hoping to keep this thing mostly rust free
- Bought a new fuel pin. Studying up on tuning - just read all 100 pages or so in the diesel section on that tuning thread haha
- Next step I should do is complete refresh of the braking system. Potentially injectors and pump after that, then turbo yada yada
- Some bushings are a little cooked, hood struts are dropping and I gotta figure out some general oil leakage on the engine. Just need to clean it up and see where it's coming from. Money pit stuff ya know
- Helped out a friend and got a free paint correction in exchange. Looking forward to that sometime over the winter.

gO8AV7R.jpg

032fQhL.jpg

U4sfTi5.jpg

cPIZW6u.jpg

fP0EPaK.jpg

That fuel thread is a wild ride but pretty informative.
Where did you get your pin from?

Small stuff this weekend.

0FNLsE5.jpg

- Drained rear diff and transfer case. Both looking good, no major metal shavings or even much sludge.
- Filled with synthetic 75W90
- Changed out fill and drain plugs for the newer 90341-18021
- Greased driveshafts. Cleaned up most of my driveline thunks, happy about that
- Winterized with fluid film. Hoping to keep this thing mostly rust free
- Bought a new fuel pin. Studying up on tuning - just read all 100 pages or so in the diesel section on that tuning thread haha
- Next step I should do is complete refresh of the braking system. Potentially injectors and pump after that, then turbo yada yada
- Some bushings are a little cooked, hood struts are dropping and I gotta figure out some general oil leakage on the engine. Just need to clean it up and see where it's coming from. Money pit stuff ya know
- Helped out a friend and got a free paint correction in exchange. Looking forward to that sometime over the winter.

gO8AV7R.jpg

032fQhL.jpg

U4sfTi5.jpg

cPIZW6u.jpg

fP0EPaK.jpg

I feel ya on the hood struts. Mine closed on my damn head one day

That fuel thread is a wild ride but pretty informative.
Where did you get your pin from?
Yeah you see companies come and go, lots of insults and anger, pretty entertaining. I think I learned enough to get going on it though

I ordered my pin from Back40 Imports. Not sure when it will show up

I feel ya on the hood struts. Mine closed on my damn head one day
same here dude, mine were doing fine but once it got cold they almost closed on me

Beautiful day up the canyon for the first shakedown run since the intercooler and front axle rebuild. Nothing crazy, I need to get down to Moab. Decided to hike some instead of driving on trails all day.

kTnWKVo.jpg

Q5t7R1A.jpg

Wheels seems to stuff just fine and the Dobinsons setup flexes well. Little rubbing on either side in the front when I hit a hard bump though. Gotta figure that out.

YuY4voY.jpg

cdEIzYK.jpg

uxJRD5K.jpg

Locals will recognize this as AF Canyon. If you're reading this, get up there for the best time you'll have in AF for a while. The trail washed out at the narrows so the only way to get to Mineral Basin is via Midway and there was almost nobody up there. I saw maybe 2 RZRs, 2 dirt bikes and a few Jeeps in ten hours. Had the hiking trails all to myself.

FoL5Cm2.jpg

7cql7bT.jpg

It's pretty well set up as is. The gearing in both high and low is ok for now. I should leave it alone and enjoy it

- but I would like lockers. And an air compressor... and a roof rack... and man it's fun to drive, the torque is so great. Would be nice to have Fox or Kings or Icons so the suspension can keep up on forest roads. And I didn't run one particular trail cause I don't have sliders yet... just money pit things haha

That FMIC makes a big difference WRT to torque, huh?!

Alright important question time - black, or stainless?

ikqrjVo.jpg

LBcafuS.jpg

After doing this little photoshop I'm still conflicted...

Stainless to match wheels and grill, or black to match window trim and eventual ARB bumper
How about gray or something to match the two tone.

Black, or a flecked grey powder coat, similar to the paint colour ( but maybe darker, deliberately not a match)

Stainless will eventually discolour.

Trying to match paint colour could be a swing and a miss though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom