Ignorant 350 question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm installing my distributor on my 350 FJ40 build. I know the firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 and the right bank cylinders are 2-4-6-8 and the left is 1-3-5-7.
Thoretically I should be able to point the rotor to plug number 1 and sequence the wires accordingly. HOWEVER, since I replaced the whole dist unit I'm thinking that the rotor could be as much as 180 deg off as the oil pump drive is just slotted and it could point the rotor in one of two ways.

Question: Can anyone tell me the proper set up for this? I mean as far as which way the dist should face and the location of number 1 pin on the dist.

Howdy! Start by positioning the engine at top dead center, which is the 0 on the timing scale. Then you can index the #1 wire to the rotor. If it doesn't run right there, the it is 180 degrees out, so either rotate the dizzy by 180 or move the plug wires by 4 positions. John

Howdy! Start by positioning the engine at top dead center, which is the 0 on the timing scale. Then you can index the #1 wire to the rotor. If it doesn't run right there, the it is 180 degrees out, so either rotate the dizzy by 180 or move the plug wires by 4 positions. John

This is how I do it too, except take it one step further and stick your finger in the #1 spark plug hole while you turn it over. That way you find TDC on the compression stroke and won't be 180 out.

This is how I do it too, except take it one step further and stick your finger in the #1 spark plug hole while you turn it over. That way you find TDC on the compression stroke and won't be 180 out.

You can also put the timing mark on 0*, seal up an air line, blow in the sparkplug hole. If air comes out the exhaust you are 180 out. rotor will point to #6 start there. If air wants to back out the sparkplug hole you are tdc on #1

also have done it this way

Thanks guys, That last post is what I needed. The engine is TDC on compression so all I really have to do is make sure that the rotor is pointing to the front of the engine. The rest is all relational. So, if I understand correctly since the firing sequence is clockwise and no. 1 post more or less points to cyl no.2 the rotor should be just approaching the no.1 post on the distributor. The plug wire from cyl no.8 should be on the next dist post (no.2)... so on and so forth according to the firing order.

Long and short of it I really just needed to know which way the distributors rotor pointed. Many thanks to all who posted.

Cruiserlad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom