ifze to 3fe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just a question for the gear heads in all of you.
My lovely work horse of a 3fe has 163k on it now and I figure I have at least 50k more in the block. I am however a compulsive pipe dreamer and wonder of the feasablilty of swapping it out when it does go with a 1fze. has anyone tried this? Not sure if there is enough horsepower gain to justify the time involved but I can get my block rebuilt for about 3k (locally machinist) Or I could probably pick up a 1fze for around 1500 used. Not sure wich would work and how it would bolt up to the trans.
I know the battery and breather boxes and all would have to be relocated but am not sure if I found one out of a 93-94 series with an a442 theoretically should be a pretty (relative) simple swap. Just a little brain candy for you all
Dave :beer:

I'd be willing to bet it would be pretty simple if you could get the engine/Trans/T-fer and computer as one unit. Unfortunately, you'd be looking at a different exhaust and O2 sensors as well.

I've kicked around the idea of doing a diesel conversion. Possibly the 1HZ SOR has in stock? $10K is quite the investment, but a heck of a lot less than a new cruiser, and it'll last another 300K.

-H-

Dave,

It would probably be more practical and economical to put a Chebby 5.7 in instead. I have a bud with an FJ60 that sports a beautifully done TBI 350 and a NVG4500. It's a knockout! I believe that an adapter exists to mate that block to your transmission............You would have as much or more power than a naturally aspirated 1FZ..You would also have that WONDERFUL V8 exhaust note........

Regards.....Dan :beer:

Dan, I do believe you are correct regarding the ease of the swap. My last 1984 60 had a Holley Pro-Jection 350 in it, and the power was great, but nowhere near the relaibility of a toyota product. :tear:

I like the idea of getting better than 17mpg also....someday...

-H-

True,

But the 350 Chebby is ubiquitous. It seems like you can get parts for them at  7-11.  "Gimme a Big Gulp and a crank for a 350." :beer:

Phaedrus,

Unless you are really beating on that 3FE, I think you can expect to get more then another 50,000 out of it. I'm right about the same mileage as you right now and am shooting fo 250,000-300,000 without having to do any major engine work. With proper maintainence and not beating it too badly, I think this is fairly realistic. After that, I was thinking about going the 350 route and turn the truck into a more dedicated trail rig, if the body hasn't rusted to pieces by then

Yeah, Dan, in college I threw a T-Case gear in my 76 40 series in Grants, NM. Basically I was screwed...had to catch the Greyhound to Alb. (Next time I'll walk, thank you.) Generally, my motto about cruiser mods is that nothing goes on that I can't find in Grants, NM or Silverton, CO.

And yes, I think you actually can get 350 parts at a 7-11. I'm just hoping that with the Toyota 3FE, I don't need parts as often. :eek:

-H-

As for mileage, I've got 177,300 on my 3F, and she's going strong! Unless there's something wrong, I wouldn't worry about replacement for quite a while.

if anyones done the swap or knows of a link to it, let us know.
dont plan on replacing my 3fe anytime soon (170,000 or so)
but have seen 1fzes used for 1500 or so like PHAEDRUS mentioned. wonder how much more would be involved price wise though. would it bolt up to the 3fe tranny?
anyone know? as far as finding parts, I had to special order plug wires for my 91 fj80, noone in town had them, toyota wanted $80 and didnt have them either.

Hltoppr,
$10K for a 1HZ sounds kind of steep. Is that with everything (the tranny, t-case, etc.)? One can get a 2003 LC 70 (HZJ76)in Japan w/ solid axle front on coils, rear leafs, factory diff locks, full floater rear axle w/ disc brakes, A/C, 5spd tranny (4.3 first gear) w/ 1HZ engine for only $26K.

$10K is just what SOR is listing the price of theirs for...I'm pretty sure you could find one for less.  As for other engine possibilities, I was recently looking at the TPI 4x4 site and they've been doing a Vortec 4.7 conversion with an auto trans.  Looks pretty clean.  When the 3FE goes that's probably what I'll go for....crate engine and new trans....

-H-

Although I'm not expecting the 3FE to go at any time, she only has 178,000 miles on her....

:D

$10K for a 1HZ engine?

In 2 minutes I found this vehicle for sale for the same money:

1993 K Reg Toyota Land Cruiser 4.2TD VX
Diesel, Red, All Terrain, 96,557 miles , 5 Doors. ABS, Diff locks, Adjustable Seat Lumbar Support, Air Bag, Air-Conditioning, Alarm, Alloy Wheels, Body Coloured Bumpers, Central Door Locking, Electric Windows, Heated Seat, Immobilizer, Locking Wheel Nuts, Manual Transmission, Power-Assisted Steering, Roof Rails, Sunroof, Tinted Glass.

I have been led to believe that you can't import diesels to the US. Could you import a complete car for parts. Anyone know about this? Maybe we could team up

Cheers, Jim

If anyone is interested, I did see a UZJ100 in the autotrader recently that had been rolled, was selling for around $12K, low miles. You might be able to transplant the complete V8/tranny/transfer case/center diff unit into your 80. Is this feasible? Sure, it's still $12K, but you can probably part out some parts to autobody shops to offset the costs and you'll have a virtually  new engine/drivetrain.

BTW, has anyone found a shop that will sell half a car? I've heard that there's a company in Australia from whom you can order half a car (from Japan), either the front half or rear half. The vehicle is torched in half, so it's not driveable and, hence, exempt from the rules governing importing a foreign vehicle. If one could do this, you could import the front half of a turbo diesel cruiser and just swap in the parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom