If you love something let it go...... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cool

That engine and megasquirt system are RIPE for a turbo too.

Stick a manual transmission in there while you've got it apart. H55 bolts right up, use a split case, locking hubs on the front.

That engine and megasquirt system are RIPE for a turbo too.

Stick a manual transmission in there while you've got it apart. H55 bolts right up, use a split case, locking hubs on the front.
No cash for that now.

Besides I'm not ditching the full time case. I have found ways to mate the 55 to the 80 case but that's more money so maybe one day down the line.

So to put a 2fe in an 80 these are the parts needed that it doesn't currently have.
From what i've found from the 3 80s I found documented for the swap.
  1. 3fe accessory brackets. (I should have all of these in my garage to clean and paint, but if not all of them then all are in the actual 80 currently to swap over)
  2. 3fe oil pan and oil pump pick up and bracket. The 2f pan will hit the rear tie rod on the 80 axle. The oil pumps are the same but the pick up and the bracket for it are different. Only issue here is the gasket between the two seems to be NLA and I haven't found an aftermarket replacement yet. Would like to find ones before pulling the old motor to get the new motor as ready as possible
  3. 3fe flex plate out of a 62 not an 80. 80 series 3f flex plate have larger bolt holes on it for some reason. @IcutYourCruiser has me covered there.
  4. Body lift. The 2f block is about 2 inches taller. A 1.25 BL is the smallest I can do and the best for it.
  5. May as well do new engine mounts at the same time. Can still get from toyota

Last edited:
Ryan Niles May still have the 1.5” body lift I bought from Logan and gave to him. Might be worth an ask. Plus you’d be a pretty good recipient of some Alkaline parts :)

Just don’t paint the hokie orange pucks !

I thought I cut your cruiser had your flex plate covered. ?

If you are canabalising your current motor for #1. Won’t you have #2 ???

Ryan Niles May still have the 1.5” body lift I bought from Logan and gave to him. Might be worth an ask. Plus you’d be a pretty good recipient of some Alkaline parts :)

Just don’t paint the hokie orange pucks !

I thought I cut your cruiser had your flex plate covered. ?

If you are canabalising your current motor for #1. Won’t you have #2 ???

Yeah I was going to update my post right after posting but got busy with work and never got back to it. Its updated now.

Trying to get all the parts needed on the new motor before pulling the old one out as much as possible. There are a few 80's at a yard near me so I may be good on the oil pan/pick up issue.

So to put a 2fe in an 80 these are the parts needed that it doesn't currently have.
From what i've found from the 3 80s I found documented for the swap.
  1. 3fe accessory brackets. (I should have all of these in my garage to clean and paint, but if not all of them then all are in the actual 80 currently to swap over)
  2. 3fe oil pan and oil pump pick up and bracket. The 2f pan will hit the rear tie rod on the 80 axle. The oil pumps are the same but the pick up and the bracket for it are different. Only issue here is the gasket between the two seems to be NLA and I haven't found an aftermarket replacement yet. Would like to find ones before pulling the old motor to get the new motor as ready as possible
  3. 3fe flex plate out of a 62 not an 80. 80 series 3f flex plate have larger bolt holes on it for some reason. @IcutYourCruiser has me covered there.
  4. Body lift. The 2f block is about 2 inches taller. A 1.25 BL is the smallest I can do and the best for it.
  5. May as well do new engine mounts at the same time. Can still get from toyota
I might not have you covered on the flex plate. You can still have it, but my 62 is a 1990 model and I had to drill the 2f flywheel to fit my larger bolts. I believe there was a mid model change with the crank/flex plate. I may be wrong though

I might not have you covered on the flex plate. You can still have it, but my 62 is a 1990 model and I had to drill the 2f flywheel to fit my larger bolts. I believe there was a mid model change with the crank/flex plate. I may be wrong though
No worries, i'll still take it if you can get it to @GarnerFJ40 at hurricane creek. I have a spare 80 one at his place that we can compare it to.

thanks again :cheers: beer is on me next time.

sold the 3fe last week...... almost covered the entire bill for the 2fe, just need to wait for this months bonus check, then I can start buying the other needed parts. Looks like Tor at Torfab has me covered for the flex plate if @IcutYourCruiser is the wrong size.

Other things to figure out at some point or do after the rig is here.
Front and rear axle rebuild with chromo's all around
Hydroboost brakes (will try the t100 MC and booster first as it appears to be an upgrade but may still go to the boost)
Second alt fab'd where the air pump used to be.
Rear bumper (4x4 labs most likely)
skid plates
Diff armor
Build bracket to mount air comp, couldn't find the one I had made for the cruiser in the parts pile that was in the truck
Re-install wiring for F/R arb lockers
Fix dash crack
Fix drivers seat tears
Install the T-case gears (if I can find them, they seem to have walked out of my garage, but its such a mess in there right now who knows)
Re-do the window tint, door moldings, etc.....
40's

The plan after its up and running with some decent length test drives under its belt is to drive it back this way, meeting up with @shellb in CO and do black bear and imogene pass. I think the Keefers will most likely join me for the drive as well, maybe hit Moab also.

Call it good after that and start saving up for a used bronco body, and install the tons on that rig.

Last edited:
@96Cruiser13 do you have the body lift that Jason sold you? Want to re-sell it?

If he doesn't, Roger brown still sells them for cheap. I've been running the same set of his for two frames and two bodies now.

Got this coming in the mail for the intake manifold to replace the 3FE one.

199387c8-ab17-4453-a448-66c9587d72b5-jpeg.2670020

Found a whole sale automatics valve body for the A440 for 1/3 the cost of it from Oz.

Should be a nice addition.

Also I should be back working on the cruiser the week before labor day and then go camping the labor day weekend.

Found a whole sale automatics valve body for the A440 for 1/3 the cost of it from Oz.

Should be a nice addition.

Also I should be back working on the cruiser the week before labor day and then go camping the labor day weekend.
Hate in going to miss the labor day trip,that you make your return.

The whole sale automatics valve body arrived today

20210616_171457.jpg

I'll be at the outer banks

Just ordered two brand new oem motor mounts from @NLXTACY wits end and mailed them @GarnerFJ40 way.

New plan for me to fly out and work on it is the weekend of Thanksgiving and stay through the following weekend for the xmas party.

May do a large Hamom at the Keefer ranch

Last edited:
Just ordered two brand new oem motor mounts from @NLXTACY wits end and mailed them @GarnerFJ40 way.

New plan for me to fly out and work on it is the weekend of Thanksgiving and stay through the following weekend for the xmas party.

May do a large Hamom at the Keefer ranch
Yikes, going to be hard for me to be of much help over Thanksgiving. We'll be either visiting my or Emma's family out of town. Maybe I can help do some prep work and the following week some after work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom