If you love something let it go...... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wondering why the front 3 are like this and the others aren't.

Valves are stuck open which leads me to think that the pushrods should still move as there wouldn't be a ton of pressure on them like there would be if the valves were stuck closed. When I get back to Raleigh during the week i'm going to take the adjusters all the way out of the rocker arms.

might have wore the lobes off the cam

might have wore the lobes off the cam
Yeah thought about that, still thought there would be some movement. Going to get back at it on Thursday.
If I can get it moving great. If not I'll have to work out with the shipper on getting a none moving truck to me.

Getting me a boroscope for my phone though. Liv3d using Brian's.

with that rust, I'd guess the valves are stuck and bent the pushrods on those cylinders. Will be an interesting investigation!

with that rust, I'd guess the valves are stuck and bent the pushrods on those cylinders. Will be an interesting investigation!

They are stuck open though, I'd say that the push rods themselves have rusted in place.

Found my compression numbers I did right before I sold it.
Everything was 150 or above.

They are stuck open though, I'd say that the push rods themselves have rusted in place.

Found my compression numbers I did right before I sold it.
Everything was 150 or above.

I'm just trying to think this through - not sure if logic is off, but: if parked with cylinders in question in the open position then the valves and pushrods could have rusted in place (in open position). Others may have broken free without damage when the motor was turned back over again and these decided not to budge and bent a pushrod or valve stem? I'm very curious to see what you find.

Yeah it seems that 1 and two are stuck open. 3 looks like they are open from the top but we couldn't locate them on the boroscope, but we were also having issues with it cutting out. Other than rust we couldn't see any damage to the walls or piston head.

I figure the HG blew it got super hot and parked and the push rods may have seized in place and then rust set in. Going to try and lightly tap them back down after using penetrating oil. Then pull the inspection cover if nothing happens.

Why? You have a new motor ready to go in. Leave it as it is, pull it and scrap it when you are ready to put the new motor in.

Motor is 3000 miles from here. Getting it on my driveway by muscle power and even lined up to my driveway will be a giant PITA. If I can't get it limping by the time I leave then so be it but I got nothing else to do ATM, and my brain wants to know exactly what happened.

set up your home so you can winch the rig up the driveway...

Update.

Loosened the adjuster to make sure the rocker arms can actually rotate.
They can

Took off the rocker shaft.

The 6 push rods that are not moving came straight out. There goes my theory of them being stuck in the bores.

No bends

Now to take off the inspection cover to see what there is to see.

If the valves were stuck closed instead of open I would think the cam lobes are chewed up.

Since they all open, now all closed after the arm removal, im going to say the lifters are seized on those 6.

20201210_121615.jpg
20201210_121624.jpg

At the point where I'm weighing how much farther I want to go just to move it around a little.

Got all the inspection bolts off to realize because the 3fe us soo much shorter than a 2 or 1f the dizzy needs to come out. Already knew the air comp bracket, ps pump and idler needed to come out. Plus there is most likely some other parts that need to be loosened or moved along the way.

So im mulling it over the rest of the day.

So know I'm just taking stock of the parts in the truck.

Spare TQ has seen better days
20201210_140221.jpg

Spare trans with 60k on it
20201210_140213.jpg

Will the motor turn over with the starter? Stick a kebab stick down into the lifter bores you think are frozen while turning the motor over. If they go up and down, then they're not frozen. If they don't go up and down while the motor is turning over, then they're either frozen, or the cam is wiped.

I bet you can tap down on the frozen lifters to see if you can dislodge them downwards to the cam, IF that's what the issue is. Were it my truck, I'd just button it up well enough for transport, and bring that block to the scrapyard when you get it home :lol:

Random spare parts and oil filters

20201210_140205.jpg

More spare parts and toyota tools

20201210_140156.jpg

Will the motor turn over with the starter? Stick a kebab stick down into the lifter bores you think are frozen while turning the motor over. If they go up and down, then they're not frozen. If they don't go up and down while the motor is turning over, then they're either frozen, or the cam is wiped.

I bet you can tap down on the frozen lifters to see if you can dislodge them downwards to the cam, IF that's what the issue is. Were it my truck, I'd just button it up well enough for transport, and bring that block to the scrapyard when you get it home :lol:

Block is going to be a wine bottle holder, scotch bottle table etc....... ;)

See tge previous video for the motor turning over and front three lifters now moving.

Your suggestion is valid and one I've been thinking about. Either they loosen, great success, or they don't and im still in the same boat.

I'm talking to Brett's transport guy tomorrow to figure it out op vs non op.

Turbo kit

Also knuckle rebuild kit, spare wheel and new 100 series brake pads.

20201210_140129.jpg
20201210_140125.jpg
20201210_140120.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom