If I've got a 60-series I want to keep forever, what OEM parts do I need to buy now before it's too late? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

WoodnotRust

SILVER Star
Threads
Ten to Fifteen years from now when there are non-binary types on MUD doing Tesla truck motor swaps, I don't want to find myself saying "if I only knew then..." My question to experienced Mudders who have crystal balls is "what OEM parts can we still get, that we'll kick ourselves for not buying in a few short years?"

In a way, this is a companion to the "Parts in Stock" thread: Ultimate OEM 60 series parts still in stock - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ultimate-oem-60-series-parts-still-in-stock.427242/ , but isn't meant to just list random parts that are available, but rather those parts that are worth investing in now because we won't be able to find them in the future:

Also same-same, but different is the Trail thread ( Trail spares thoughts (a list for review) - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/trail-spares-thoughts-a-list-for-review.1225984/ ). Kinda don't want to spend more than $500 in aggregate, but I'm willing to listen to any and all arguments to the contrary.

I don't want to get too sidetracked, but easily available used NLA parts might be worth considering.

For starters...do front motor mounts deserve to be on this list?

My question to experienced Mudders who have crystal balls is "what OEM parts can we still get, that we'll kick ourselves for not buying in a few short years?"

I see you have a budget....but short answer - all of them. Like when an artist dies the value of all their work goes up. They ain't making any more.

It would be pure financial speculation to buy parts hoping they will go up in value...but they likely will.

So stuff that will not be available aftermarket or that cannot be fabbed easily. Anything interior comes to mind. Electrical parts. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on body mounts. I bought a City Racer license lamp assy and it's safely stored away.

Now you're gonna be canceled for your Binary Supremacy thoughts. :moon:

I think you'll be able to get parts to keep your truck running for quite a while, although they will probably be made in the PROC or TW.

Anything rubber. Window weatherstrips, inside and out, all doors. Door seals/weatherstrips. Rear window gasket. It all depends on what might still be available.

Anything rubber. Window weatherstrips, inside and out, all doors. Door seals/weatherstrips. Rear window gasket. It all depends on what might still be available.
Agree with that one: I bought every bit of rubber/felt I could find for the doors, windows and glass in advance of an upcoming paint job in Flagstaff. Door seals were aftermarket, but everything else was OEM. Total cost about $900 if anyone is curious. I could not find the rear door window channels...

Also got OEM Drip chrome, AM headlight bezels and OEM side marker lights in advance of the paint work. Decals I couldn't find from @ToyotaMatt I made myself.

sooner rather then later TOYOTA is gonna DISC. / NLA the rear manual push button lock assy , they already have the ignition lock cylinder , and the pass side front door too

i would simply purchase all the new NOS correct locks for your vehicle and sit on them till needed

nos ones will become gold instantly , out of reach of the common owner operator

this is what you need to strive for in your reserve horde ............stash

like you say before its too late ... :confused:

i am hording hundreds of 60 and 62 OEM locks currectly because thats a main stay service i provide heree on mud , the writing is on the wall , stok up now

IMG_E0727.JPG
DSCN4496.JPG
DSCN4497.JPG
DSCN4498.JPG
DSCN4499.JPG

Agree with that one: I bought every bit of rubber/felt I could find for the doors, windows and glass in advance of an upcoming paint job in Flagstaff. Door seals were aftermarket, but everything else was OEM. Total cost about $900 if anyone is curious. I could not find the rear door window channels...

Also got OEM Drip chrome, AM headlight bezels and OEM side marker lights in advance of the paint work. Decals I couldn't find from @ToyotaMatt I made myself.
Good call on door/window rubber trim pieces.

I recently bought rear window channels on Partsouq, looks like they still have 21 left

Please consider these too .....

I hand make them from 💯 % toyota genuine parts

C5AFCEF6-286A-4B20-A86E-7566D1033135.jpeg
021F88AD-D920-4F2B-B787-9CE2C5C6E26B.jpeg
114A173C-F261-4631-89E1-3B39E2F40688.jpeg
753DCFEB-AF10-46CE-AC2E-CBDDC9EF516A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom