If I was to start all over again, I would... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In 2013 I felt like my LX450 was getting old and I wanted to replace it with something that was just as capable. I bought a 2013 unlimited rubicon off the showroom floor.......and traded it to the lexus dealership 5 months later, thank god they hold their value.

I don't think jeeps are trash because I like Toyota, I think they are trash because I KNOW they are trash.

In 2013 I felt like my LX450 was getting old and I wanted to replace it with something that was just as capable. I bought a 2013 unlimited rubicon off the showroom floor.......and traded it to the lexus dealership 5 months later, thank god they hold their value.

I don't think jeeps are trash because I like Toyota, I think they are trash because I KNOW they are trash.
Just
Exchange
Every
Part

I heard it here a few weeks ago.
Don't get me started on all the FORD
Acronyms!

Just
Exchange
Every
Part

I heard it here a few weeks ago.
Don't get me started on all the FORD
Acronyms!

The thing had multiple issues at 5k miles and the dealer had no idea what they were doing for any of them, I had to give them guidance from research I found online of people who had the same issues. Mind you it wasn't a 20 year old well out of production truck, it was a current model that had been for sale for a very long time and still for sale and fully supported. Besides that I've seen better build quality from the 3D parts that our vendors here sell, I had to pull over to make phone calls on the highway it was so loud and it was hardtop and I was either flooring it or not going anywhere the engine felt like it came out of a lawnmower....the thing just isn't a viable vehicle. I'm fully convinced that the people who drive them daily are simply masochists.

At one point I hadn't driven then LX in a month and when I finally got back in it the at the time 15+ year old Toyota felt like I was stepping up 3 notches, really made me appreciate it and that was the last straw that made me decide I was done.

My friends girl picked us up from the airport recently, he's actually an engineer for Chrysler, she drives one of those fugly gladiators. I've never experience death wobble before but 100% that had to of been death wobble, the thing shook like it was being rocked by an elephant every time she slowed down, they both kept saying no that was normal and it was just the tires....brand new car, no big deal that's just normal. They can keep all of that....I don't care two bits about any toyota vs jeep thing I don't crawl but I know what I know first hand...jeeps are s***.

You are not wrong there. Jeeps are junk. My brother has one. and it is on its 2nd engine w/ 80k miles.
You know what they say, if your rich, buy American cars to support our economy. If your poor, buy Japanese car to save you money in the long run.

Speaking of American products, you are a Dodge fan!!
I'd say it another way. If you want to remain poor, buy a Jeep. You will always be buying a new Jeep.

If you want to buy a vehicle that can last you 30 years if well cared for, buy an 80 series. I have been driving mine since 1997. I bought it with 20,000 miles on it and am just about to crest 300,000. I have taken emaculate care of it and it looks like it. With that said, I have wheeled it through heavy brush while hunting every year I have had it. I have done most of the mountain passes in Colorado and would trust my rig to get me there and home over anything else I could own.

Last edited:
What Lexus model did you get?

I leased a GS350 F sport AWD as my nice car and kept the LX450 as my work truck, I had done some really cheap crappy cosmetic mods to the Jeep and the Lexus dealer actually gave me more for it than I owed on it, I ended up only losing about 1000 on the whole mistake......again good thing they hold their value.

That GS was so nice especially in 2013, the quality of the interior, the way it drove and it looked so sleek in all black with the F sport package.....I always look back on that car and see if they have depreciated enough to pick another one up, they definitely have not I guess I'm not the only one who feels that way. When the lease ended on the GS it was still the same model and I didn't want the same car again, the RC was way too small so I leased a GX this time but that meant I had two trucks and I ended up selling the LX along with another one I had bought as a parts car. I wish I hadn't done that, not only because they shot up in value but because that was my baby I was the first owner and knew every single inch of it whereas my 80 now I went through hell fixing all of the previous owners crap. If Lexus had updated the GS I would kept the LX and got another GS, such a nice car.....not really exciting but just really really nice everyone complemented me on that car and everyone who sat in it was wow'ed by it. The GX was really nice too but also a boring outdated grocery getter and you weren't going to do a bunch of modifications or go wheeling in a lease, that's a truck to buy and keep for 15 years not lease.....although i did hack that lease super cheap.

Last edited:
I would have kept it stock and taken off the running boards.

:)
I'm taking Beno's advice. Needed Land Tank's seat extension mod though. Unbelievable that such a huge rig would have inadequate legroom.

What I should have done a couple years ago was bug my ex colleague to sell me his locked 80, because I knew he planned on it eventually and that he'd sell for cheap.
Saw him yesterday, found out he sold it to his neighbor for $1,000. :bounce: Nothing wrong with it, AFAIK.

If I could do it over, I wouldn't have spent just about every penny I had at the time on a 25 year old Land Cruiser with mismatched tires, upper hatch rust, and a half-trashed interior that was leaking from several dozen places.

In hindsight, I should've bought an old Camry or Impreza with the 2.2l motors.
My 95 Camry had a 2.4. 2.2 would have been too small. Im serious.

Huh, I thought the 2.4 didn't come out til 2002. Anyway Camrys on those years were insanely bulletproof
Ours was 1995 2.4. Bullet proof is an under statement

Why anyone would lift & put big tires on a Camry is beyond me...:rofl:
Pictures or it never happened.
If I could do it over, I wouldn't have spent just about every penny I had at the time on a 25 year old Land Cruiser with mismatched tires, upper hatch rust, and a half-trashed interior that was leaking from several dozen places.

In hindsight, I should've bought an old Camry or Impreza with the 2.2l motors.
Ours was 1995 2.4. Bullet proof is an under statement

Why anyone would lift & put big tires on a Camry is beyond me...:rofl:
Pictures or it never happened.
1665944262539.jpeg

I have to say that I think it looks better lifted 2" and with AT's on it than it did stock. And black? That's the worst color, IMHO. But there's no doubt that I would love to take delivery on a brand new, magically appearing FZJ80 of any variety today. But doesn't it look too low in stock form? Maybe I'm crazy.

I have to say that I think it looks better lifted 2" and with AT's on it than it did stock. And black? That's the worst color, IMHO. But there's no doubt that I would love to take delivery on a brand new, magically appearing FZJ80 of any variety today. But doesn't it look too low in stock form? Maybe I'm crazy.
I have the Onyx Black color for my 1997 and I was told recently that it's one of the rarest colors for that year.
It's difficult to keep clean, that's for sure! But I like it. My brother has a '97 whcih is green...and fading/peeling all over the place, which is standard for that color from what I've read.

I like the stock look but @SNLC posted their white Cruiser in the "What did you do with your 80 this weekend" thread and honestly, I think I'm going to go that route, minus the snowboard clamps since I don't snowboard or ski.
1666035486168.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom