If I was to start all over again, I would... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hindsight is 20/20 so, yes, their are things I would do differently if I were to start over but .... snip
Aren't currently on your do-over 80?

Aren't currently on your do-over 80?
Yes I am but it's basically a continuation of the one I rolled as many parts from the Green Machine are now on the White Rhino and everything I have done with this one would have been done to the one I rolled. A rollover event itself is never a good thing but what I think are some good things came from my rollover experience. Firstly, I will never again place so much confidence in my 80 because I learned that they are indeed a bit top heavy and although they perform well in deeper snow, hard pack is bad juju even for the mighty 80. Secondly, I now have tons of extra parts including a fresh engine and good trans and transfer case, at a fraction of the cost of buying them individually if they are even available. I paid $4k for the white rig up in the Oregon high desert with zero rust or dents but she was very dirty with deep dust literally everywhere the sun doesn't shine and then some. It had oem locked axles which I sold for $1500. I also sold some other parts and ended up recouping about $2500 of the $4k I spent to purchase the replacement rig. So, for me, a rollover worked out pretty good and the icing on the cake is that I like white much better than the green.

I'm going to keep mine on 33s since it's a daily driver.I will do a 2" body lift so the 5.3 truck intake will clear the hood and keep stock coils. Get rid of the cloth seats and install some leather. Then I'll just drive it. Anyone want to buy some cloth Seats? I will probably put some bumpers on it so it can better handle any out of control Honda civics. That's about it.

I wouldn't change anything. I think 2" lift with 33s is the perfect setup for what I do.

I may change the layout of my roof rack a little. And get a front bumper sooner. But the lack of front bumper has more to do with finances than wrong decision...

I would have added rear quarter panel protection to my rear bumper. :bang: 80s are long and have a big ass.

I think I learned a lot from my Tacoma build. So far, I don't have any real regrets... maybe I should have gone with the SAE/DOT Rigid D2s instead of the low/high output D2s to get a more focused light pattern. And maybe I should have incorporated a 20" light bar bracket on the front bumper, in case I wanted to add one later on. But, those are pretty minor stuff. For me, the decision to go diesel with 35s makes me smile everyday.

Haven't done much on mods or upgrades thus far but I would do these right away if (or when) I bought another 80:

1. Replace blown OEM speakers and factory stereo. Add a CDL switch while the dash is apart.
2. Repair AC system
3. Install Slee headlight harness and 9011 bulbs (rock auto has the best price). Just did this one and its literally a night and day difference.

Although simple these basic fixes/upgrades make a world of difference in daily enjoyment of my cruiser.

I would've kept it stock and run 33's. So glad that I have it back to stock.
I would've put seat covers on it sooner to preserve my brown tweed seats that are unobtainium.
I would never have bought a 70 series thinking that it was better than an 80. Oh how I was wrong.
I would've spent the money I from the 70 on another 80.
I would never have put a flip down DVD screen in it. And certainly not let someone else install it and my stereo.
I would've fixed my AC 8 years ago rather than wait.
I would buy a welder sooner to mess around with different slider and bumpers.
I would peel the covers off my third row seats and throw them away rather than moving them across the country four different times.
I would never have moved it to Texas. F$%# Texas.
Other than that, no regrets. Wouldn't change a thing. Mr. T did a damn good job for what I use it for.

F$%# Texas.?

Still not sure my 315's were a good move. I'll be honest the main reason I got them was because they look cool. Before i installed them I wheeled pretty hard on 265's (yes 31.5") and got almost everywhere I wanted to go (albeit with some bent suspension, beat driveshaft and light body damage :hillbilly: ).

I frequently find myself thinking about 255's and 861/862 springs. I guess the answer is two cruisers :)

I made all the mistakes on my Jeep. I bought my 80 to correct those mistakes, which it mostly did out of the box.

I corrected the POs mistake and removed OME.

Everything else has pretty much been golden.

Bringing this important thread back! I have owned my 95 for a little over 2 years now. In that time I've done some preventative maintenance and baselining. I am keeping my mods on the light side because this truck is amazing in its stock configuration. I bought the nicest cared for truck I could find for the money I wanted to spend. I wanted a 95 to 97 with lockers and white in color. I'm lucky to be in the southwest so rust is not an issue. I've replaced the original saggy springs with OME 861/862 with 10mm isolators. That gave me about an inch and a half of lift and drastically improved ride and handling. I have Bilstein shocks. I removed my running boards and my next addition will be probably Slee sliders. I bought a set of Duratracs in 265 size. Got a frontrunner roof rack that I mounted an awning and keep traction boards on. Did the spare tire relocate from Wits end. For the type of offroading I do this has been a great set up. Truck rides and handles great, it does awesome on the BLM roads I am usually on, and I still get good mileage and power with the smaller 265s. I may step up to 285s in the future but with 265s it keeps the trucks gearing close to where it was stock. I think that's why my mileage is usually 15 to 16 on the highway. That and I don't usually drive over 70.

I would have gotten another 3FE , add lockers, go 37s, 4" lift, beadlocks...basically what i have now....

I would've gotten a heavier lift. I was worried about the ride being too stiff, and it's too soft in critical times. I'd rather have a stiffer ride on the highway and handle the curves and bounces and off-camber offroad better. I would have taken better care of my seats. I would have purchased a battery-powered ratchet early on and a dozen 12MM sockets, then scattered them in every toolbox, tool pouch, and parts container I have.

Bumping this awesome thread. All-around great read with input from so many totally different perspectives (DD, crawlers, expo, weekend explorers/campers). Kudos to all of the 80 gurus that have dropped some valuable insight.:clap:

Makes me feel better about slow-rolling any big decisions on my stock locked '94 until racking up some miles and really determining overall goals and intended uses.

Currently sitting at 142k miles (just broken in?), recently swapped out the old and tired OEM suspension with a Dobinsons 'stock height' kit (have some 30mm MAF spacers in the garage and learned a lot during install process), refinished the OEM wheels, 5x 295/75 Cooper AT3 XLT's, Wits End spare relocation brackets, and currently deleting the roof rack/slick-topping the roof. Removal of the factory running boards and fabbing up some sliders is on the short list.

Completed a few minor baselining exercises (dizzy o-ring, speedo sensor o-ring, fresh fluids, new throttle cable, pads, etc.), and zero regrets spending a little more coin on the front end due to being rust-free and having an extensive service history (knuckles, rotors, wheel bearings, etc.). Gray leather interior is also one of the nicest originals I've seen. A 1995+ would've been nice, but wasn't going to scoff at a clean locked 1FZ 80 cause of no OBD2 and/or airbags.

Lots of things to chew on before going wild. Thanks MUD. :steer:

keep it 100% stock and sell it for 40k in 5 years.

Better yet, just go enjoy your truck and put money in the stock market if you want a good investment.

put money in the stock market if you want a good investment

1532124429294.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom