What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (37 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My Cruiser has been feeling neglected as it’s been relegated to the adventure-only rig, and my wife’s Tundra has been getting more attention as the boat towing vehicle in the fleet lately. But camping season’s about over up here, which means the Cruiser gets garaged for the winter and the cosmetic projects get lined up…
8F5FAB04-CB35-4C71-BD24-886D170E26CD.jpeg

I've been driving mine as I motor swap the new daily.

I was reminded my cruise is on the fritz and I wondered how many of us have little issues with the 80 that don't get fixed because we simply forgot

I think our weekend was very similar. I decided to install front and rear speakers with sound deadening. I also replaced the door checks on all four doors. Was surprised when I pulled one and it was missing the actual stopper. Weird what a small difference they make.

The install took a long time since I opted to install the speakers using rivnuts / nutserts since none of the speakers were a direct fit. It also took a while to get the door cleaned and prepped, and even longer for the exterior of the door after cutting and trimming out around all of the hardware, wiring, and moving door parts. After the extra time it took to measure, prep, cut out all of the door speaker locations, install appropriate hardware, and wait for more sound-deadening material to get delivered; I only managed to get the front PS door done. The rest will have to wait.

In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out an alternative for the door panel/ door cards. It was obvious that they had been removed several other times before my ownership as well as water damaged from window belting and window seals that failed many years ago. Wondering if anyone has ever pursued an alternative?

View attachment 3136741

View attachment 3136742

View attachment 3136743

View attachment 3136745

View attachment 3136746

View attachment 3136747

View attachment 3136756

Not cheap but look pretty good!

Camped above Sedona: Edge of World

And guided a buddy around Broken Arrow in Sedona.

Zona

View attachment 3136780

View attachment 3136781

View attachment 3136782

View attachment 3136783

View attachment 3136784
Excellent...when I picked up my new-to-me 80 back in July in Tucson, my wife and I stayed in Sedona for the weekend. I really wanted to drive Broken Arrow, but in the end, we went for the Pink Jeep tour instead. With the rear loaded to the brim with spare parts, a new-to-me truck for 3 days, and 2500 miles to get home, it just didn't seem to smart to try a trail that I've never driven at that time. That said, I'd love to drive it now, but I'm probably stuck to the PA/VA trails for a while closer to home.

Excellent...when I picked up my new-to-me 80 back in July in Tucson, my wife and I stayed in Sedona for the weekend. I really wanted to drive Broken Arrow, but in the end, we went for the Pink Jeep tour instead. With the rear loaded to the brim with spare parts, a new-to-me truck for 3 days, and 2500 miles to get home, it just didn't seem to smart to try a trail that I've never driven at that time. That said, I'd love to drive it now, but I'm probably stuck to the PA/VA trails for a while closer to home.
Broken Arrow trail is very scenic, and i have done it twice. With that said, you can probably do it with a blown HG! lol. All jokes aside, you can easily do it on 33s.

Finishing the break in miles on this ones new engine today before first oil change.

63FDF3D3-84DE-487A-A62F-8971D399790A.jpeg
15270432-C57E-4DC9-999F-C4F55F1F7CEB.jpeg
95A38A72-1CD4-4E85-9D7A-4445C5550DBB.jpeg
317C2F3C-B851-4BF8-BA69-99701490ABEA.jpeg
D18BF818-F8CA-4413-8E9F-2CC72F8871D9.jpeg

Back to Colorado tomorrow. 😎🤙

Cheers

Tested out my Redarc solar panel as well as the handy Anderson plug and quick connect bracket from @NLXTACY . Topped off the lithiums in no time.

Do you find those SS2 Ambers to be bright enough for amber fogs? Debating between those and the SS3 in amber.
I was originally going to get SS3s but they wouldn’t easily mount where I wanted to put them. The SS2s ended up being plenty bright for me. I like that I can use the backlit setting with my DREs to keep it legal. Here in TX you need another color light up front when you have a white light illuminated. When I switched my corner lights to turn signals I lost them as a solution to that requirement.

I was originally going to get SS3s but they wouldn’t easily mount where I wanted to put them. The SS2s ended up being plenty bright for me. I like that I can use the backlit setting with my DREs to keep it legal. Here in TX you need another color light up front when you have a white light illuminated. When I switched my corner lights to turn signals I lost them as a solution to that requirement.
Good to hear, thanks. I like that the SS2’s are smaller and can fit in tighter spots but I’ve seen so many use them as chase lights or scene lights it made me think they weren’t enough as a fog light.

That’s interesting to use the backlight that way. Good option.

I've been driving mine as I motor swap the new daily.

I was reminded my cruise is on the fritz and I wondered how many of us have little issues with the 80 that don't get fixed because we simply forgot
LOL I keep a google spreadsheet with a list of s*** I need to fix. I update from my phone as I find s*** so I can address it later.

The list grows faster than I'm fixing stuff.. :\

What did you do with your 80 this weekend: maintenance, fix, wheel, nothing, new mod??

Me:
Checked air in tires
Change oil&filter 180,000
Fill gas tank
Waiting on box of parts from Beno
Receive the wits end 3fe turn up master kit last week and spend the weekend turning my fj80.
Did the turn up.
Changing the belts.
Replacing my fusible link.
Try to replace the fuel filter. (Couldn't undo the bolts at all)
Value adjustment.
Replace all 4 tires.

Looks good, I have two of my doors sounded. It is a pretty labor-intensive process isn't it. I prepped the inside of my doors with isopropyl alcohol to make sure I had really good adhesion with the material.

I'm looking for upgraded speakers as well, have you chosen a brand and model that will work?
Thanks! Apologies, just saw your post.

I'm leaning towards the Kicker 47KSS6504 components for the front. The 6.5s have a top mount depth of 1-13/16" and should fit. Looking for others experience. I plan to mount the tweeters in the door sail using Solve functions mounts. I plan to go active with the fronts using a Kicker key 200 amp. I currently have some little Jensen 5.5s in the rear door that I will leave for the head unit to drive.

Anyone care to comment on getting two sets of speaker wire between the door and kick panel? looking for insight ;)

dg

LOL I keep a google spreadsheet with a list of s*** I need to fix. I update from my phone as I find s*** so I can address it later.

The list grows faster than I'm fixing stuff.. :\

I do the same. I have a list of stuff. But when I'm busy with other rigs it sits. Then I drive it and go, oh ya. The cruise turns off momentarily on big bumps. Or, in really need to order wheels

I do the same. I have a list of stuff. But when I'm busy with other rigs it sits. Then I drive it and go, oh ya. The cruise turns off momentarily on big bumps. Or, in really need to order wheels
I realize yours is a diesel, but my 1FZ-FE was dropping the cruise like that. I changed the throttle cable, adjusted it, and the problem went away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom