If I can't have Swampers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pighead

Stop calling it an FJ
Threads
I got these 35x14.5x15 SSRs used, from Morgan, on these custom rockcrawlers when I did the SOA and the 33s looked silly. I always blew out one at a time, so I always replaced just one at a time. Now my spare is bald and my right front is getting there, and I'm looking at deep snow on the Rubithon and thinking I should have some good rubber before I go. I need one and would like two, but no-one local can find a replacement for me. SSRs are back ordered for 6 months. And when I do see an SSR for sale, far away of course, it's twice the price of any other tire. and another 70 bucks postage. I could almost get a full set of something else for the price of a pair of SSRs
So, do I hold out for a matching replacement, cost be damned, or is there something else that is almost as good as a Swamper, that works great in snow and cold mud on gnarly granite that will be in stock at my local tire store?
I could even go down to a 35x12.5x15 if I can't find a 14.5 wide tire.

I've heard good things about Hankook Dynapro MTs... Though I have never used them in anything crazy, they work great in the dunes on Padre island. ( I know it's not mud or snow, it's the only offroad I have used them in so far.)

Hi All:

'Swamper IROK radials in 37X12.5R15s have performed very well for a buddy of mine on his SOA VJ40 in mud, snow, and (some) rocks.

Regards,

Alan

I have the hankook dynapros on my chevy 3/4 ton, and drive in snow all the time. I would not buy them again. They do good in mud and on rocks, but in snow they are not the greatest. Seems to me that the tread is not aggressive enough. Thats why i went with procomps on my cruiser. I havent used them in the snow yet, but wanted to try something other than the hankooks. BF Goodrich krawlers look freakin mean, they might do good.

I traded Greenhorn311 my 38x14x15's. They are just sitting in his shop but you might be able to borrow them for Rubithon and if you can stuff 38's under your rig.

My next set will not be Iroks of Super Swampers.

I have been waiting feedback on the Pitbulls but will probably go with Wranglers.

I traded Greenhorn311 my 38x14x15's. They are just sitting in his shop but you might be able to borrow them for Rubithon and if you can stuff 38's under your rig.

I have been waiting feedback on the Pitbulls but will probably go with Wranglers.

Thanks Dan. It would take me a day or two with a sawzall to fit 38's on the Pig...and I'm not sure I could turn those on the highway either.
I'm looking at Mickey Thompson, I'm looking at Dick Cepek. I'm looking at the Pitbull Rocker...

I dont need them...there just sitting here

I've heard good things about Hankook Dynapro MTs... Though I have never used them in anything crazy, they work great in the dunes on Padre island. ( I know it's not mud or snow, it's the only offroad I have used them in so far.)

Hankook Dynapro MTs are worthless in any half-way serious mud. Currently running a set on a FJ60 and when these need replacing it will be anything but another set of Hankooks.

Godwin. When the hankooks get some snow or mud in them they become racing slicks. They are well built but don't have very good traction

I have a set of MTRs 35x12.5x15 you could use for Rubithon. I'd want them back, but they could work for you. 50-75% tread.

KM2s would be my choice but I believe the 35x12.50x15 is backordered. You could step up to the 37x12.50x17 but then you'd have to get new rims.

Another option would be the Toyo MT's. My brother live in South Lake and has been happy with his in snow (mounted on a Tahoe).

I'm going to try some Nitto Mud grapplers on my 45. I have heard good things other than they are as loud as a bogger. But noise doesn't bother me.

I've got one tire store bringing in the Toyos...another getting the Nittos, I'll have to decide on Monday which ones to get

OK, there is almost nothing out there. Backorders for 1 to 6 months.
But, Les found some 37" Toyo M/Ts...I'm gonna go look at them tomorrow. I may need an extra day with the sawzall to make them fit.

Answered my own question, but thanks for your help.
100_0024.jpg

I will probably be going with a set of these when i need tire. Found out 35's are going to be too small. Let us know how they perform and more pics please.

Let us know how they perform and more pics please.

Huh? Pictures of tires? We all know what a tire looks like, plus, they have beautiful pictures of these tires on the websites....
Oh, well, ok. Just one or two more pics.
100_0023.jpg
100_0027.jpg
100_0026.jpg

They look expensive.

x2...
I really like what i have heard and read about them, but i think my pocket book is a little too tight for them. :rolleyes:

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom