Idle Air control Valve cleansing pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, after trying everything I can think of for my low idle issue....I wanted to try cleaning my IAC ( Idle Air Control Unit)..before spending 400.00 on a new IAC module. It is a VERY simple thing to do once you get the 2 screws off...and they are tight. Try not to strip the phillips head.
Anyway, I cleaned the throttle body last week but there is a skinny "tunnel" within the throttle body that goes into the Idle Air Control valve. This passageway is hard to see when your cleaning the throttle body....which I could not get to...until today.
I shot the carb leaner inside the "tunnel" and the throat of the IAC. Tons of gunk came out. This may be a maintenance item along with the throttle body cleaning. I will head off here soon to check my idle.
If this does not do the trick...then I will need a new IAC. BUT, it's good to know it's an easy install.
airlaird

Last edited:
Well, after trying everything I can think of for my low idle issue....I wanted to try cleaning my IAC ( Idle Air Control Unit)..before spending 400.00 on a new IAC module. It is a VERY simple thing to do once you get the 2 screws off...and they are tight. Try not to strip the phillips head.
Anyway, I cleaned the throttle body last week but there is a skinny "tunnel" within the throttle body that goes into the Idle Air Control valve. This passageway is hard to see when your cleaning the throttle body....which I could not get to...until today.
I shot the carb leaner inside the "tunnel" and the throat of the IAC. Tons of gunk came out. This may be a maintenance item along with the throttle body cleaning. I will head off here soon to check my idle.
If this does not do the trick...then I will need a new IAC. BUT, it's good to know it's an easy install.
airlaird

Nice Steve. Gonna do this while my TB is sitting on my kitchen table.

:grinpimp:

LOL!!

How did you get the lower screw out? I don't seem to have a screw driver that is able to handle the interference from the other "stuff" in that area.

-mt

THAT WAS TOUGH :) the top bolt is easy. I am Supercharged and I had to take out the ENTIRE piping to get to that little screw on the bottom of the IAC. Once I had the area all clear...I started to strip the Phillips head of the bolt. I then grabbed a smaller Vise grip and clamped down on the bolt till the damn bolt broke it's grip...then I got the phillips screwdriver and got it out.
But yeah...that bottom screw is in tight.
airlaird

do you think you can get an impact driver in there for the lower screw?

Whew...Concrete...I wouldn't. I really think one would strip the heckout of that bolt. besides, it is very tight in there and an impact would never fit. With a little elbow grease, get a Vise grip and cinch down tight on the bolt with your left hand...and wrench it free.
airlaird

To save agrivation in the future switch upper and lower bolts or go to a hex bolt. Otherwise try grinding a notch for a flat screwdriver and or vise grips

Once you have the unit in your hands remove the three inner screws and if memory serves me right you should be able to unscrew and clean.

This normally provides temporary relief and since my high idle is up again I have another excuse to putter.

Not all of these work.
http://www.lcool.org/technical/80_series/80_series_technical.html

Last edited:
good point..I had my dremel ready to go to grind a groove through the screw for a flathead...but the Vise grip did it.
airlaird

.....Gonna do this while my TB is sitting on my kitchen table.

:grinpimp:

My wife would shoot me if I had that thing sitting any where near the kitchen :D.

Nice and shiny IAC valve btw. The result should be outstanding.

Cleaned mine today.
A nice long phillips should clear most of the clutter, cause shorter drivers' handles seem to get in the way even after removing everything possible. Be sure to "really" put pressure on the screw driver, this should help prevent stripping of your lower screw.

The LCool site talks about Loc-titing the three small screws before everything is rebuilt, something about them falling out.

I also stretched the spring.

I don't know, seemed like the right thing to do at the time, like pulling wire in the shower...

Seriously, figured the spring was installed in 1993 with over 200,000 miles and could it hurt?

BTW -3 degrees and snow at 5:00am and idled much better, just hope it lasts.

Last edited:
What kind of vice grips did you use to get to the bottom screw? I was as careful as I could be last night with a 18 inch #3 phillips and still managed to strip the screw. That sumbich is on there good. Thinking of trying the dremel trick but would rather get the right vice grips and try that.

Thinking of trying the dremel trick but would rather get the right vice grips and try that.

I'm in the same spot .. so if you can post you you can get the lower screw out .. would be great!

After reading this thread, I decided to go and take mine off and clean it. It actually was super easy (screws came right out!) The bad part was when I took it off, my god it was gumped up. Nothing like those pictures posted above. In the end, it did nothing to clean it :eek: but I have the satisfaction of knowing it is done now.

Thanks for the motivation to get mine done!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom