Ideas for hood scoops? (I figured it out but there’s a lot of good info for other people) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I’ve got an 80 series with a 350 small block Chevy in it, I’m about 98% done with the project but I still haven’t figured out what I want to do with the hood. The top of the air filter sits about an inch above the fenders so I’ll need to cut a space in the hood. I should preference that my 80 gets used and abused, it’s not a looker it’s a doer, that being said mad max vibes are welcome. What im stuck with is that I don’t want to have a normal scoop as if I do put one on and end up fording a river or have to deal with any precipitation it’ll send water right into the intake, so that’s almost certainly a no go. A cowl would be a decent option but I haven’t seen any designed that I like since it all starts at the front of the hood and ends at the rear, also almost all seem to be fiberglass and that won’t be happy offroad I imagine. As I type this I realize that I could put a scoop on the intake it’s self and mount it backwards and just have it stick out the hood but that’s just another option. Either way if y’all got some ideas feel free to leave a message. All ideas are welcome.

Last edited:
You can make anything with fiber glass.

Would I have a problem with cracking when I’m flexed out real hard?
Yes. Why is your intake so high? Many LS swaps here with now clear ANC’s issues.

mind 90s Subaru Forester or Isuzu Bighorn are common options here. This forester one looks great:

@Sean Foster have you looked at Poison Spider? They cater to Jeeps, however, depending on your skills, you could adapt something to fit your needs. Last I checked, they had scoops, vents, and louver options.

What's your fabrication experience? Are you wanting something more off-the-shelf, or open to fabbing your own?

Older Lumina louvers have drip trays incorporated, to deflect water. Or you could consider making something similar. Or are you wanting more of a hood scoop, with or without a functional vent?

Another option would be the "hump" like the 90's Eclipse hoods have, in order to clear the intake. Keeping the hood enclosed. These were the rage a decade or so ago, but, could easily be incorporated with minor metal work and Bondo, to keep it looking closer to factory.

Fiberglass will potentially crack, unless you brace the hood, if you modify a factory hood.

@Sean Foster have you looked at Poison Spider? They cater to Jeeps, however, depending on your skills, you could adapt something to fit your needs. Last I checked, they had scoops, vents, and louver options.

What's your fabrication experience? Are you wanting something more off-the-shelf, or open to fabbing your own?

Older Lumina louvers have drip trays incorporated, to deflect water. Or you could consider making something similar. Or are you wanting more of a hood scoop, with or without a functional vent?

Another option would be the "hump" like the 90's Eclipse hoods have, in order to clear the intake. Keeping the hood enclosed. These were the rage a decade or so ago, but, could easily be incorporated with minor metal work and Bondo, to keep it looking closer to factory.

Fiberglass will potentially crack, unless you brace the hood, if you modify a factory hood.
So I don’t have much experience at all with body work but I’m not too picky, I’d like something fairly simple and a simple bulge would work well. I was talking with a friend a couple minutes ago and they found a cowl for old mustangs that I think would work perfectly, also not trying to spend toooo much money so about $200 is the most I’d like to spend, if you’ve got any ideas I’d be happy to hear but I’m pretty set on that mustang cowl, so I may go ahead and kill the thread.

What intake are you running, could you get a lower profile intake?

Cowl induction type. All steel welded in

276135650_5399316913432489_721039942321577483_n.jpg

276151241_5399317006765813_6392722942768559766_n.jpg

271650915_5159084590789057_6753467213804083153_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom