Hood Insulator for HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know if the hood insulator pad from a gasser will work in a diesel? I know the part numbers are different. Shipping from overseas if possible will be expensive due to size. Hood is the same part number so it should fit no problem but something must be different.

Does anyone know if the hood insulator pad from a gasser will work in a diesel? I know the part numbers are different. Shipping from overseas if possible will be expensive due to size. Hood is the same part number so it should fit no problem but something must be different.

Steve: I have both truck in the shop now and will send you pics. 53341-60100 should work on your HDJ81.

Will confirm tomorrow and text you some pics.

👍👍

Dont forget to get the 90467-09014 clips too.

I recently did mine. I tried to order from all of the usual overseas distributors as that were half the price ($150-175) of going through the dealer ($350).
The problem is shipping for this item was atrocious. most quotes were in the $500 range. So I paid double at the dealer to not get bent over on shipping.
And Beno is right, get the clips because you will most likely break every single one getting them out. Then listen to the broken bit rattle its way down the inside of the hood where you can never get it out. :mad:

Hey all. I'm wanting to replace my old trusty hood insulation after I put in some new spray nozzles. Is the OEM insulation still 'the best' option? Or are there better third party alternatives? By "better" I mean better at insulating/noise and what not, not necessarily price (although if much cheaper for the same performance I would consider third party).

Thinking further, would even a blank piece of purpose insulation work? I could trace the old insulation shape onto a blank, put in the appropriate holes and clip back in. 🤔

Cheers

I'm interested in the responses you get. My insulation is knackered. Was planning to go OEM until recently, but I suspect the water crossings I do are the main thing that's wrecked mine, when the fan flicks water into the insulation at high speed. I was wondering if I'd wreck new insulation again in short order.

I'm interested in the responses you get. My insulation is knackered. Was planning to go OEM until recently, but I suspect the water crossings I do are the main thing that's wrecked mine, when the fan flicks water into the insulation at high speed. I was wondering if I'd wreck new insulation again in short order.
Interesting. Mine’s a mostly nostalgia-driven mall crawler, but I can easily see how water might damage the OEM insulation. Some of the third party bitumen/vinyl options look much more robust than the fiberglass (?) OEM stuff, but they mostly adhere to the hood which I don’t want. I suppose it’d be possible to not peel the adhesive backing and use custom holes and OEM plugs.

So the oem insulation is a fiberglass type material with foil on it. I just replaced mine a couple weeks ago and I have to tell you the old one was SOFT! I replaced my firewall insulator too recently and they are fragile/easy to snap. The hood insulator was much thicker and had more structure formed so it handled better.

I'm thinking that water isn't a big to do, that it is more than likely just heat and age. I've done a few moderate water crossings and my insulator was floppy before hand and the only adverse reaction it seemed to have was it made the cloth a little floppier?

I may be wrong. It wasn't super expensive though and you'll for sure want all new clips. I bought all new just because and ended up needing all but 2. I of course used all new, but only 2 clips survived removal and I used a removal tool. Once again, pretty sure it's just old age and heat cycles.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom