I really need some advice... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Knock or no knock, if you are in debt, a Land Cruiser will put you deeper into debt. These rigs are a money pit starting at the gas pump and can consume a lot of your time..........k bye my boss is headed to my office.

Knock or no knock, if you are in debt, a Land Cruiser will put you deeper into debt. These rigs are a money pit starting at the gas pump and can consume a lot of your time..........k bye my boss is headed to my office.

Not completely true. Yes, gas hogs. Total cost of ownership? No. Not expensive.

It seems to me that if something major was about to let go, it would have done so on the trip to UT and back. Not sure I'd jump into a rebuild until I got another opinion or two. If its not your daily driver, then you have some freedom to try and figure out the problem. It has 40k on the head gasket job - why did that owner pull it out and go with the V8? Can you talk to previous owner to see if they had issues that caused them to do the swap?

Ask for some local's help through the clubhouses....... Many will do it for beer and camaraderie....but mostly beer.

I'd say sell some of the bumpers/sliders etc. and get it fixed.
As you said it's much nicer than a prius for longer trips.

Not completely true. Yes, gas hogs. Total cost of ownership? No. Not expensive.
I agree here. Got mine cheap, as in, sub 1k cheap. I've put roughly 2,500 at this point, spread across misc. parts and pieces. Doing my own labor, I'm into this way, way, way less than for a new car. Yeah, she's up there in miles, but the rig puts a smile on my face and there's not a lot I can't do myself to cut down on cost. Being 3,200$ into a vehicle which will last forever, is fun to drive, and can do about anything? Great investment IMO.

Torque converter/bands would be my guess. The fact that it happens between changes and not at idle or low RPM cruising doesn't ring alarms for an engine issue to me.
Park it until some affordability comes into the equation, Of course if things ever got tough you could always sell it for some emergency cash. A well looked after 80 wont drop in value, just keep an eye out for wrecking ones so you might be able to grab a replacement tranny from one cheap to fix your issue.

Get another opinion. Then drive it until it breaks.

My 93 doesn't knock/tick until Under load. Idles like a champ. Give it gas and it sounds like ball bearings in a blender.

It makes my 92s seem like they are electric cars!

There you go, this won't be expensive. My bad.

That is a different discussion than maintenance. Any vehicle used for wheeling can get expensive due to damage.

I've owned my 92 since new. 308 months at $203/month for total cost over ownership of just over $62,500. Never been towed. Never left me stranded. Never broken.

Bumpers, sliders, racks, fridges, solar, dual batteries, inverters, RTT, etc don't count. None of those are necessary and would cost the same on a 4Runner or LR3. The 4Runner has a lot more availability of parts and they are cheaper but they also aren't as strong.

Try buying a Corolla for $203/month. Ain't happening.

The reason people think these rigs are expensive is because they buy an 80 Series that has been neglected and has years of deferred maintenance. So they are in it for $7-8k then have to catch up what hasn't been done. So it seems expensive until 4-5 years go by and they haven't done anything else to it.

Life cycle cost is the only way to determine cost.

My 93 doesn't knock/tick until Under load. Idles like a champ. Give it gas and it sounds like ball bearings in a blender.
Mine, too. Under load up till about 2K RPM. Been doing it for ~40K miles. I just hit 200K miles last week. I did a 3,400 mile round trip to Yellowstone w/it like that.
Been meaning to take it to the local LC guru, as I haven't been able to figure it out but something always comes up & I forget.

Since you can use the 80 as a practicle DD, keep driving it while you save money for another car (an older Camry or such was suggested already). If you are unable to do this financially then I think that an 80 may not be in the cards for you right now.

I feel your pain. I was in the same situation back in the mid 90's. I traded my '93 toyota 4x4 truck for a new '95 Camry and next I had to sell my project FJ40 that was just sucking up funds without providing what my very young family actually needed.

I was sick to my stomach at both sales but I knew it was the right thing to do because credit card debt sucks.

Well, I talked to the Mrs. That was super fun. She said we are for sure selling it. We decided that nobody is going to pay 8 grand if I am honest with them and tell them there is probably a spun bearing.

Talked to the mechanic today and he's sending my ORIGINAL engine off to his machine shop for a complete Toyota parts rebuild. If he tears in to that one (which also sounded bad) and there's a problem then we can take out the engine that is currently in there and send that one off instead. He said it will take about 3 weeks so I can come pick up the truck and drive her for the next three weeks before I bring it back for the swap.

I know a lot of people are saying to get a second opinion first, but I don't think he'd be willing to eat all this money in giving me a deal on a rebuild if he thought there was a chance it was something else.

There's no harm in having a local Mud member take a listen. There are a lot of good mechanics out there that know cars in general but might not know some of the unique issues that come upon an 80 series. The Honda example you posted doesn't necessarily mean your 80 has a spun rod bearing. Hondas are known to spin rod bearings when their oil gets low, 80 series cruiser are not (as far as I know). Another perk of getting to know your local cruiser heads is that, if used parts are out there, you'll hear about it. Maybe there's a unique combination of your mechanic being willing to put in free labor and your local cruiser guys (with ideas, spare parts, or knowledge) that can get your rig back out on the road.

All that being said, if you're set on just unloading it (and it sounds that way to me), just pull the band-aid quickly to get it over with as little pain as possible.

Well, I talked to the Mrs. That was super fun. She said we are for sure selling it. We decided that nobody is going to pay 8 grand if I am honest with them and tell them there is probably a spun bearing.

Talked to the mechanic today and he's sending my ORIGINAL engine off to his machine shop for a complete Toyota parts rebuild. If he tears in to that one (which also sounded bad) and there's a problem then we can take out the engine that is currently in there and send that one off instead. He said it will take about 3 weeks so I can come pick up the truck and drive her for the next three weeks before I bring it back for the swap.

I know a lot of people are saying to get a second opinion first, but I don't think he'd be willing to eat all this money in giving me a deal on a rebuild if he thought there was a chance it was something else.

Good Luck!

And I don't mean with the truck..... I mean with the Mrs.........

Well, I do mean it for the truck, too. I hope it all works out and you don't end up in a deeper hole.

Keep us posted. Its free to post here.

Wait a second, are you saying that the second motor is making the same noise as the first one?

Dude, it ain't the motor, i'ts in the truck somewhere. Or did I misunderstand?

Used trans off eBay. $300. Few hours of labor in your driveway and some beers for a friend willing to lend a hand. I'd so try this before I bagged on $6000 of investment. But that's just me.

In the end, the choice you make, for the reasons that matters to you, is the right choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom