I need a baseline LX570 ride report (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2017 LX570 with 65k miles, I’m running 285/75R17 tires. At 60k I had the AHC serviced per the maintenance schedule.

I’ve only had the car for just under a year and lately it feels like there is no difference in ride between comfort and sport, but I have never driven another lx570 so it just might be how it is, but I could swear that it felt softer when I first got it.

As for my ride it is not terrible, but expansion joints and sharp bumps are felt pretty firmly throughout the truck and the ride seems a little stiff, even in comfort mode. It seems like maybe it is stuck in sport mode.

I’m taking it in for a 65k service tomorrow and I wanted to see if anyone would chime in with your lx570 ride, so I can get a better idea if I’m going crazy or not. 😂. Thanks!!

Also, I understand it’s kind of subjective, and it is still a body in frame truck.

It is all subjective off course, but I run 20" tires and the ride in comfort is very pleasant as you expect from a 100k premium vehicle.
It looks like you do have an issue. Is the kneel feature working on yours (there is a button under the dash to enable it, and a green lamp on the dashboard). This is the lowering of the truck when parked for easy in/out. It is called kneeling on buses, forgot how Lexus is calling it.

It is all subjective off course, but I run 20" tires and the ride in comfort is very pleasant as you expect from a 100k premium vehicle.
It looks like you do have an issue. Is the kneel feature working on yours (there is a button under the dash to enable it, and a green lamp on the dashboard). This is the lowering of the truck when parked for easy in/out. It is called kneeling on buses, forgot how Lexus is calling it.
Yes the kneel function still works and the truck also adjusts to all ride heights normally. I was wondering if there was air in the system after they bled it, but all those functions seem to work normally.

It seems there was a thread where an actuator went bad, but it only threw a silent code, so I’ll guess I’ll ask them tomorrow to check for any codes.

Also, I wouldn’t say the ride is necessarily unpleasant, just more jarring over sharp bumps than I remember it usually being.

What is the load rating on your 34's? Tire pressure?

I'm on my third LX (always used) and I've never really been able to tell the difference between sport, normal or comfort. I play with it sometimes on the highway and think I can feel the difference, but it's probably just in my head. Someone mentioned that it's more apparent during evasive maneuvers or more spirited driving. I have driven other cars where it is more apparent. All three of my vehicles had E-rated BFGs.

When I am driving in Normal and the dog kicks it into Sport I notice the change in the ride. If I am in Comfort I notice the change from Normal.

There is a clear difference in body roll, bump absorption, and highway road noise level between sport and comfort on my 13, running stock size Defenders LT.

I guess my worst complaint is over expansion joints and asphalt gaps in my neighborhood. They shudder the whole vehicle.

I guess my worst complaint is over expansion joints and asphalt gaps in my neighborhood. They shudder the whole vehicle.
I do notice a decrease in body roll when using Sport on the highway, and similarly in bump absorption when using Comfort in town. Keep in mind it takes around 5 seconds or so for the new mode/change to kick in.

It's not a drastic difference, but there is a difference.

I notice a distinct difference between all three modes in my truck, especially going from comfort to sport. But even normal to the other modes makes a noticeable difference. I've even had passengers comment on feeling the difference too.

I agree about feeling a difference between the three modes.

However, with my truck I always thought that I feel small things (expansion joints, uneven pavement) more than I should, and large things (big bumps, potholes, really crappy roads) were properly dampened. I always attributed it to being a big body on frame with low profile tires.

I agree about feeling a difference between the three modes.

However, with my truck I always thought that I feel small things (expansion joints, uneven pavement) more than I should, and large things (big bumps, potholes, really crappy roads) were properly dampened. I always attributed it to being a big body on frame with low profile tires.
This is probably exactly what I am feeling. I would agree that big bumps like speed bumps etc. feel ok. For me it’s the uneven pavement, manhole covers, etc that feel even sharper than my 2006 Saturn Vue.

You can use Techstream or OBD Fusion to monitor the AHC ECU. You can then see what "step" the valving for the shocks is in at any particular time. The things the ECU controls for the different driving modes are the 16 steps of the shock valving and the high spring rate valve on the front suspension. There is plenty of overlap between which step the shocks are in depending on which mode you are in, vehicle speed, and steering angle. For example, at lower speeds, there is very little difference between comfort and normal, especially with little to no steering angle. Using the brakes aggressively and high steering angle are both triggers for the high spring rate valve and the sportier the mode the more quickly it engages.

There is probably more to it, but that's the basics of how it works. If you have Techstream running, you can see which setting it's in at any time. The valving changes frequently depending on the factors mentioned above. If you are driving around town with a lot of turning and speed variation, the valving step is constantly changing. If you are watching the valving change and don't seem to feel any accompanying changes to the road manners, then I'd say you it's time for some maintenance. Either fluid exchange or globe replacement.

When I couldn't feel the difference I needed new globes. Now, even on 35s, with lots of bolt-ons that affect weight and balance (bumpers, armor, etc), I can easily tell what mode I'm in.

Who did the AHC service? And what did they actually do? I would start with bleeding it with fresh fluid and getting air bubbles out of the system.

I have a 2018 LX with the same tires you have and similar mileage. I can absolutely feel the difference between Comfort and Sport mode. FWIW, I run at 37 psi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom