I got tired of the mold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

looking good man its alot of work but you are not scared of that as we can tell. if you need any help i am available on some sunday afternoon

looking good man its alot of work but you are not scared of that as we can tell. if you need any help i am available on some sunday afternoon

Yeah man always love some help. Give me a call I'll be working on it.

414-0563

I actually like the stripper. Saves a heck of a time. But you have to have some really good gloves or else it will eat them and your finger. You can always tell when you got it on you because it starts burning instantly. As long as you get it off within a couple min you will be ok. I made the mistake once of putting my hand on my hip. Ate a whole through my shirt and made for a quick trip to the hose. Give all that I'd use it again in a heartbeat. You just put it on and let it dry for about 6 hrs and then pressure wash it off. Sure beats wire wheeling it and sanding. If I had enough patience I would have done two cycles of stripper and 95% of the body would have been paint free.

Is this stripper widely available? Or is it just something for those with connections? Looks like it does a fantastic job.

Widely. Most body shop supply houses have it. I'll get a name tomorrow.

This weekend will be another marathon of metal work. Hope to have something in primer by Sunday. Stay tuned.

Widely. Most body shop supply houses have it. I'll get a name tomorrow.

Thanks, much appreciated. (and well be much more appreciated if I need to put some to use down the road)

Damn...

Just one more reason I wish I still lived down there (if for no other reason, to stop by and help you lift someting heavy). This is gonna look great!

....and the strippers name is????

monica,,,

no serious,,,,aircraft stripper???what is the "brand"

Long day yesterday.

DSC09779.JPG

This was the only picture I took yesterday of what I did. Though I did get the rear sill painted and almost complete.

DSC09778.JPG

dude! thats impressive. How many days did it take you to get it all dismantled and stripped?

dude! thats impressive. How many days did it take you to get it all dismantled and stripped?

2 days. Air tools were a must.

So today I got most of the sill installed. I used some scrap square 2" tube. I cut a section of it out and rotated it to invert it for the channel and welded back in. Then cut a few sway bar link bushings down and drilled a couple holes in the bottom of the tube and a big 2" hole in the back so I had access to the mount. Also coated the inside and outside with Rust bullets. Plan on getting a couple 2" frame plugs to cover the holes and seal it from water and mud. I'll also be capping the ends.

DSC09780.JPG

DSC09782.JPG

DSC09781.JPG

DSC09785.JPG

I tacked it in and then realized there was going to be a gap between the sill and the bed. So I put a section of agle iron under it to tie it and the sill in place.

DSC09792.JPG

DSC09791.JPG

DSC09793.JPG

Then welded all of it together in several spots. I'm going to spay the area again with rust bullets.

DSC09796.JPG

I had a friend come over today (John Lee) and help. I mentioned that I was going to make these great fenders only to have them ruined the first time I articulated the rears as the tires rub on the outer fender under extremem articulation. He suggested I tube the fenders. So that's what I'm going to do. lol. Will give me a fender flare in the process and give the ture something nice and smooth to rub on.

Anyone need a nice extended fender? lol

DSC09788.JPG

My buddy.

DSC09790.JPG

Some parts John blasted for me today.

DSC09789.JPG

wow, impressive progress here! keep it up!
planning on doing a rust killer paint job on my 60 soon, and that paint stripper looks like my new best friend! I'va got no garage, and zero friends to help me out, so i gotta get some of that grease... do you know of anything similar in international products? wuerth, 3M or something?
And i am a bit jelaus...the 60's got a LOT more area to work with, the 40's has probably only half the surface compared to a 60.
It's just goin to take som time!

so how much does this stripper cost in your area????
what should i expect to pay for a gallon,,,,
hood stripped,,,fenders stripped,,,did some touch up blasting on them today,,,

plan on re-blastin and primin a few of these parts this weekend...ah,,progress,,,me hopes,,

trollhole,,,i knew that was the case,,,
the local paint shop charged me
$43 for a gallon,,,
i saw it when he rang it up,,,
did i say he was smilein the whole time,,,
now im an old grey headed turd that really could give a darned,,,
his day will come,,,in triplicate,,,,thank you god or whomever,,,
now should i roll in on my scooter and smile at him and tell him
"i know what you did..."????
and its ok bro,,,but you didnt pull the wool on this old gomer,,,
and then smile real big,,,do a 180 out the door and
get on my bad motor scooter and ride????just to mess
with his karma...
i spray urethanes,,polyureas,,,polyurethanes and the like for a living,,,
he thought he had an ebay'er on the line,,,now he was pretty dead on on the epoxy primer and catalyst,,,
whats a mother to do???

hood and fenders chemically stripped x2,,,,touched with the blaster to finish,,,lookin good
i plan on reblastin all the naked parts ive completed thus far,,and get some sealer/primer on them this weekend,,,,
pull the steering column next,,,get the top & doors off,,and then the tub so i can get at the frame under there as well,,,
shudoggy this is fun,,,

Looking good! I'm impressed by the speed you're making progress. Are you a woodworker too? I see the dust collection stuff- I've been wanting one of those Jet dust filters like you've got for my very modest woodworking shop.

Looking good! I'm impressed by the speed you're making progress. Are you a woodworker too? I see the dust collection stuff- I've been wanting one of those Jet dust filters like you've got for my very modest woodworking shop.

I traded wood for metal. Though I just put most of my woodworking stuff at the warehouse.

Got a little more done this weekend. Mainly spent the weekend with the family and drinking some Fat Tire that has finally made it. (Sweet nectar)

Does this position look familiar? lol.

DSC09827.JPG

This was a cruiser friend who was helping me out. John spent probably 4 hrs leaning over trying to see the parts. About 3hrs into it he told me it wasn't working well. Looked at the gun and the nozzle had not one but two holes in it where it wore through. I had just replaced it not long ago. It even ate through the gun. A new tip and inner tip and a little electrical tape and it was new again.

Moisture was a problem that day. Ended up filling the water separator up 3 times. I need to get a bigger one and make some drops in my main line.

Today I decided if it had a rust hole it was getting cut out. So first to go was the rear wheel well braces.

Stupid bench seat braces. They just trap the water.

DSC09828.JPG

Drilled the spot welds out and used the impact chisel on it. Came right off.

DSC09829.JPG

Had I actually gotten in a situation where I would have rolled It wouldn't have been pretty. My braces were toast the roll bar would have just gone through to the floor.

DSC09830.JPG

I bent some 2" pipe and cut it flat so it will weld up to some 16ga sheet metal. This will not be the support for the roll bar anymore I'll bring some tube up from the frame and through the middle of this.

DSC09831.JPG

DSC09833.JPG

Cut some metal out and put some 16ga back in. I've yet to decide how I will make the rib but it will eventually be there real or not.

DSC09834.JPG

DSC09835.JPG

Also decide to finish up removing all the paint on the last parts.

About this time people started showing up for a cruiser meeting so I stopped taking pics. I post more this week.

DSC09837.JPG

Damn, time for me to go on a diet.

They 40 is looking good Marshall. Just let me know when you need a hand.

Oh and I think I have an experience no one can say they have had. My heater fell out of the cruiser going down the road to turn around. lol.

haha that happend to me too and it was after i repainted the heater oh well it only bent one of the mount tabs

tuff heaters on these rigs

great thread by the way im doing some of the same to mine right now but way less metal replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom