I-force V8 in fj80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lx450landcruiser

Threads
I came across a a site that said the late model 80 series have the same tranny as the (say 99-02)? 100 series. if thats true would a I-force V8 mate up to the 80 tranny? if so why hasnt it been done? too costly? ive seena few crashed 100s i think that would be sweet.

any ideas?

mike

Nope,

Is not the same. It is a 343 but it is different.

I was trying to decide wether a I-force in an 80 or a straight axle 100 would be better. I sure like my 80 better.

>> I was trying to decide wether a I-force in an 80 or a straight axle 100 would be better.

Toyota figures the latter to be the ticket, so they built one. It's called a 105. Stand in line behind the rest of us...

something i have never been clear on....is the 105 a straight 6 ala FZJ or does it come in the UZJ(i-force v8)flavor?

doug

There is a guy on por board that did a full swap of i force and tranny into a pig...imagine it could be done to an 80.

I believe he is a master tech for Lexus.

Well anything can be done, it's just a matter of money and time.

With 4.56 gears and a blower, I've never had any issues with the street tires pulling heavy loads or running the 36's on the trail.

Dan,

I researched this a bit for my 91. The local Toyota parts manager and a service tech were actually working with me. We thought we had it worked out. I think we were using a Tundra tranny and mating it to the LC transfer. Could you check your parts fische or whatever you use these days to see if the spline count on the output shafts are the same?

I eventually gave up as there were just too many sensors for me. I just don't have the knowledge to make it work.

And Tundra engines are cheap in the wrecking yards compared to Vortecs.

trans are different only in the valve body and the wiring to the ecu,
the 100 trans is the same case ,with minor updates
you will have to change the bellhousing
this was my initial plan 100 motor in an 80 before the 55 fell in my lap
i have 5 transmissions on floor in garage in mutiple states that i am working on a adapter to put the split case behind the 100 motor to gain lower gears
the i force swap is a great idea its got lots of pros few cons

What sensors did you use? How did you bypass the sensors you didn't use? The wheel sensors are where I got hung up. I never actually researched past that point. The parts guy asked how I was going to do the wheel sensors and then I decided I didn't want to go any further. Your rig is very very cool! I saw some picts of it on Pirates the other day. If you had some pointers for a home mechanic trying this swap I might go for it in the 91 still. Is the Tundra an acceptable donor? We don't have any 100s in junkyards in Idaho, but there have been a few Tundras. What are the cons? Hints! etc...

Eric takes alot of time and someone who is good with toyota ewds , I ended up with the tundra ecu for mine to avoid the lexus anti theft key system,
pros- harness and ecu in the same spot,ac will work,air box will update,more hp,fuel pump system allready there,
cons- $$$$$,
for the moast part the inputs to the ecu are just inputs not a requirement for operation just additional info for the ecu to map out the fuel trim,the only output sensor required is the speed sensor on the t case to show movement,
at length em me @ ejenkins@keyescars.com

[quote author=Hltoppr link=board=2;threadid=8942;start=msg77820#msg77820 date=1071851937]
fj55-100,

Perhaps we could twist your arm into doing a Tech write up on the conversion for Woody to post? Sounds like a fantastic swap to me! I'd be interested in looking into it for the 'ol 92.

-H-
[/quote]

Sounds like a Toyota Trails article to me! :cheers:

[quote author=bjowett link=board=2;threadid=8942;start=msg77835#msg77835 date=1071852938]
Don't forget the 1UZ 4.0L V8. 260hp out of the box.... TRD supposedly used the heads off the 1UZ to build a higher power 2UZ for some project...
[/quote]
Now there's the 4.0L V6 that puts out quite a lot of power too :) , 245hp 282ft/lbs. The 4.7V8 is 235-245hp 315-320ft/lb

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=8942;start=msg77633#msg77633 date=1071808445]
Well anything can be done, it's just a matter of money and time.

With 4.56 gears and a blower, I've never had any issues with the street tires pulling heavy loads or running the 36's on the trail.

[/quote]
Thats bad trick photo work. The trees are not even standing up straight :flipoff2:

so, what's the projected lifespan of an i-force? The durability of the 6 is one reason I bought an 80.

Oh yeah, Junk, cue bongo music, watch out for that tree!

[quote author=landtoy80 link=board=2;threadid=8942;start=msg77863#msg77863 date=1071855446]
Thats bad trick photo work. The trees are not even standing up straight[/quote]

First, I obviously didn't take the photo since I was driving. :slap: :flipoff2:

Second, even though it's off, it doesn't change the climb at all, notice it's on a hill. If the angle was tilted as it should be you'd notice it was worse. :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom