I am making LC Scale Kits & Accessories for mud! (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have no experience with printed parts, so are they paintable? I would be interested in desk top versions of the 40 and 45.

I have no experience with printed parts, so are they paintable? I would be interested in desk top versions of the 40 and 45.
Yes sir. If you want to paint them, just print them in Black or White as a base (black is good for metallic colors, and white for most others). Long term plans is to get manufacturers to color match the original factory colors, so they can come out of the printers without needing paint. Of course, for best quality, most likely paint is still the way to go.

For people who have leftover paint from painting their LCs, like @mrboatman , I will do the Body parts in white for you (later when i can afford to stock up on a few-needed colors) so you can paint and have a 100% accurate color match for the little 40; can't wait to see those photos of them together!

I even have wood filament that you can sand and stain, and am considering that for some of the dashboard/interior stuff.

And yes, the 45 will come next week! To convert from the Soft top to Hard Top to Pickup version is just a few changeable parts. Same with conversion to wider axles/off-road build/locked diffs and etc; the optional/up-and-sidegrade packages are going to be great. Having any one model means you are just a few parts away from having all others in the 40s family.

@CruiserTrash thanks boss, much appreciated; soul food keeps me going. I am taking my time to do it justice and having a great time while I'm at it. I was thinking maybe next year they will be so accurate, that I'll make a post in the 40s section for my "Fully-Modded FJ40" and see how long before people catch on. If I get kicked out then we will make a new section for "Mini 40s" XD.

I'm thinking by the end of the year, Mud will have the most customizable RC FJ40s on the planet. I plan on going through the 40s section and printing everyone's mods/replicas of their LCs for the "Mud Museum", and from there we will all have access to every mod done on Mud; just tiny versions for now but they'll grow.

Anyways, going to get coffee then i will shoot you guys another update at end of day.

Leaving this here for inspiration. It’s a great tribute into the work it takes to restore one of these babies.

Correction: The ARB Style bumper was not labeled for any specific models, and will need modifications to make it fit. This is the one going on first version/CF version.
4LYI5AVs_9qPWswPWoMp_xrL1hl6YW6Wv_FcVJQ4mgjGNMoEIcksWrfxkUVRsiVRuVU-ZPdKBK1iIK82PJBSWiQMcC4WVz-Uvf7b-5OtGpGVctgbpc7ohEZp8VNbraPowXUn4W6fVOO7U827CBJsPQ

A part of the Expedition Set - which I am currently working on; includes wider rear fenders, axles and maybe wider wheels.

81L34eDkd1CcZEAWBX1BlNAFIg-V21sUlb1LLogdYAMjQkj7ZktOQ8noFce47J07x7kbuLw_HpBlkO-tTxoxh2kbqT_v0ykhnN3M83y1kgx2pLd_TxFEkjs-XCW1HUVOTN79NK2rggV77CElFLfgeA

wOkYfZ00zb3aGKvkveVM44UUEU7w9gJpiAKTYQnL_KuT3tiHaUkfV55G02dEW2RuIKEpPUlx2y3TXhehGosrbBtNGMhCtNkovu0rmzU1CT3C3lUxsuxAFYhQSJsMXY1-RuXAA_6RfbyI8ByZ3lsMdA

I believe that is an HFS front bumper and the brush guard appears to be an SOR unit. That is a pretty cool video, thanks for posting it.

Been busy cleaning and preparing to ramp things up, FYI.

I returned the unworthy donor vehicles, and will order a proper set of electronics.

Factory recommends 1:10 scale electronics by the way (3S). I have my old Kraton 6S buggy my friend donated back, and the 1:8th scale 40mm diameter 74mm length motor is way too big. It’s also high KV (over 2k) brushless, so its more for Rock Jumpers, not Crawlers. I’ll use these electronics later for a buggy build or for the 1:5th scale; unless I can figure out a way to adapt it.

We need some proper rock crawler motors, and I will work on it this week. I have most of the other pieces; just need to resolder/remake some wires that melted in my friends shed for the Lipo batteries, and then I can see if they are still good. I have enough good parts and just need to swap good cables over to the good connectors with proper connections.

I’ll also order shorter and taller batteries that fit the battery cover better/will look into adapting for different battery configurations (like 6S) for future.

I will also slowly introduce different body/interior color options. For now chassis/suspension/drivetrain will remain black as long as we are doing carbon fiber, in both PLA and Nylon variants.

This is the last time you’ll see her like this, as the carbon fiber body parts are going to get swapped on soon.

Anyways, back to cleaning up kitchen and living room to prepare for ramping up production. I know, I had to sacrifice the microwave for more space.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Fitment testing update: the lens need to be moved in a little bit to better match the distance between my eyes.

Seriously mud if you’re not wearing the FJ40 glasses at next years meets, you’re not a true mudder. There I said it.

I’m still cleaning up house and doing some fine tuning/calibration and before we can make some quality parts in other colors. I have about 10 more machines to fix, tune, setup remote management and then run test prints on this week. After that they’ll be handling all the small prints while the automated system handles the big parts (it’s hard auto ejecting little parts).

While I’m at it I am going to retune the Quinly Sidewinders (tilted one that’s been handling all parts so far) as well. I expect this process to take about 3 days, and is needed to make everything else go more smoothly from here.

After this week I should be able to sit down on one computer and control all 20 printers from my desk. Right now it’s a lot of moving around because I need to manually load the prints on half of them.

More importantly, the tuning is for quality for other filament types and colors. I haven’t shared any photos in other colors because I was not happy with the quality. That will change after this week.

Goal for July is electronics and fasteners/gather things I cannot make, as well as to pay off my filament bill so I can get more colors in PLA+. Goal for shipping off full kits with electronics for my testers (you guys) = 2nd week of August.

C4EFC3AA-2FD1-4034-B4DA-CF04E7005369.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

To speed things along and get you guys involved/helping with testing sooner, I will ship off a few kits without testing fitment. I just don’t have the fasteners, namely M2s! I’ve also put enough screws into other bigger holes to know fitment should not be an issue.

@CruiserTrash youre up first! I will begin putting your kit together today. Keep in mind the perfectly colored and showfloor versions will come later, which means disregard the cosmetic imperfections and elementary paint jobs/or lack of, for now.

I made the mistake of bundling all parts into one big box, when it originally came out of the build plates perfectly organized for the manual…

So it will take me a bit to pull out parts for exactly 1 kit, but it’s in there somewhere.

I’ll bundle the 1:16 Landy mini in there as well to save on shipping.

After @CruiserTrash is @The Jade Bean, @mrboatman, @Michael B.

You guys don’t/won’t owe me a single thing for these test kits; but if you are the type to want to give something back in return, then there will be plenty of opportunities to help me with these coming up. For example, you can buy the prints i list on my site this month to help me fund these.

Anyways, 1 thing at a time for now, and that 1 is @CruiserTrash.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Amazing @SharpeCat, thanks so much!! Full report to follow … although be aware I’m in crunch mode getting my 60 ready for Solid axle Summit. I’ll try to get it done before I go but it may be afterwards, in August, if I run out of time.

Wow…this’ll be awesome!! Can’t wait to play and review! I really want a Troopy so I’m sure we can work something out. 💪🏼

Amazing @SharpeCat, thanks so much!! Full report to follow … although be aware I’m in crunch mode getting my 60 ready for Solid axle Summit. I’ll try to get it done before I go but it may be afterwards, in August, if I run out of time.
I’ll just send it over so you can brainstorm the build/study manual and have it for inspiration. Maybe by august I will have my electronics done and we can do the entire build then; maybe a build along where we all build ours in august?
Wow…this’ll be awesome!! Can’t wait to play and review! I really want a Troopy so I’m sure we can work something out. 💪🏼
The 70 series we will get to, but there’s the Pigs and the 60s before that! For now, I can do the pickup version of the FJ40 for you!

By the way, which of the 3 models would you guys like?

Pickup, hard top, soft top? @CruiserTrash nothing is finalized so you can still choose. Changing version only adds a little more wait and we aren’t in any rush.

@The Jade Bean @mrboatman @Michael B choose one for first set, but keep in mind eventually I’ll send out parts to convert to all.

Last edited:
Pickup would be rad!

The pick up (aka FJ45) would be my first choice and the FJ40 soft top would be my second choice.

What scale is the 40 & 45?

Not sure the scale of this, maybe I can swap the body.
8E137DB0-897D-4287-8293-6F35CCFBE959.jpeg

Not sure the scale of this, maybe I can swap the body. View attachment 3046940
That is maybe a 1:18th scale or smaller. I know I have small hands but:

image.jpg

For the Landy mini 1:16th though, most likely viable.

The good news is it’s designed for 1:10 scale electronics. If you call a hobby shop and ask about 1:8th electronics, you’ll get scared out of the hobby when they tell you that you can’t go 1:8th without breaking the bank.

We are going 1:10 scale rock crawler electronics, and I will get us some options and will ship those out separately. I am researching still.

@The Jade Bean are you starting to see the picture? Look at the manual I linked above.

It’s going to be an epic RC build, as these things are no joke! I love admiring the details as I’m making these; and there’s a lot to admire.

Last edited:
That is maybe a 1:18th scale or smaller. I know I have small hands but:

View attachment 3046942
For the Landy mini 1:16th though, most likely viable.

The good news is it’s designed for 1:10 scale electronics. If you call a hobby shop and ask about 1:8th electronics, you’ll get scared out of the hobby when they tell you that you can’t go 1:8th without breaking the bank.

We are going 1:10 scale rock crawler electronics, and I will get us some options and will ship those out separately. I am researching still.
Oh okay, my 40 is 1:10 and my daughters Hilux is 1:6 I think. Gonna be rad regardless!

Oh okay, my 40 is 1:10 and my daughters Hilux is 1:6 I think. Gonna be rad regardless!
So your 40, is likely hobby grade electronics if 1:10? If you can grab me a photo without body on, I can make sure you send you the right gear box; I was planning on sending multiple versions.

Also, just to drive in the scope of the project; I counted about 500 pieces for fasteners, with almost 200 m2 screws alone. For the 45.

I’m looking for manufacturers to get good deals for bulk fasteners for long term, I’m going to need it for a showfloor of these/mini mud museum. Also I’m going to need it to provide to customers when I begin selling these; a ways to go still.

7D93646A-D87B-4A6C-B383-C7959CC031EC.png

So your 40, is likely hobby grade electronics if 1:10? If you can grab me a photo without body on, I can make sure you send you the right gear box; I was planning on sending multiple versions.

Also, just to drive in the scope of the project, I counted about 500 pieces for fasteners, with almost 200 m2 screws alone. For the 45.

I’m looking for manufacturers to get good deals for bulk fasteners for long term, I’m going to need it for a showfloor of these/mini mud museum. Also I’m going to need it to provide to customers when I begin selling these; a ways to go still.

View attachment 3046963
Cool. I’ll snap some pics tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom