I am an idiot...how to align crank & camshaft / timing gears (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

First off i am an idiot. i forgot to mark the placement of the two gears before i removed it. I was happy to have the timing cover off and just pulled the cam shaft out, then looked and started cursing myself for the colossal mistake i just realized i made. anyway here we are. i am replacing all the gaskets and stuff but when i put everything back together i will need to figure this out. has anyone else had to solve this. any tips???

There should be timing marks on each:

PXL_20210407_194601051.MP.jpg

@nerdalert

Find the Factory Service Manual here on 'Mud before you proceed any further.

You should mark up instructions, and highlight important instructions like "timing mark stamped on gear should be faced towards the front.

There are also detailed instructions on placement of the 6mm screws that hold the front plate to the block, the bottom two screws on the timing cover need blue thread sealer, the fact that you leave the timing cover "loose" until the balancer is pressed in place, etc. etc.

thanks, i have the haynes manual. i did not see the mark on the cam shaft i will definitely take a second look. i really hope it is that easy. Thank for calling out the bolts. i put them in some cardboard to keep everything the same as when i took it off.

burn the Haynes manual, seriously!

@nerdalert

thanks, i have the haynes manual. i did not see the mark on the cam shaft i will definitely take a second look. i really hope it is that easy. Thank for calling out the bolts. i put them in some cardboard to keep everything the same as when i took it off.
If you proceed without an FSM, the title of this thread will be well earned.

Hi everyone,

First off i am an idiot. i forgot to mark the placement of the two gears before i removed it. I was happy to have the timing cover off and just pulled the cam shaft out, then looked and started cursing myself for the colossal mistake i just realized i made. anyway here we are. i am replacing all the gaskets and stuff but when i put everything back together i will need to figure this out. has anyone else had to solve this. any tips???

if you don't pause and take note of the well intended input of everyone here , including me about STOP and get a OEM Factory TOYOTA Material Print Media edition ..............

you will regret snapping a cam or worse causing excessive compression pressure from a longer then normal VALVES Closed duration , during TDC compression firing stroke , the back fire could TRASH all you invested thus far ?

lets also stop and back peddle here too ?

- year make model land cruiser

- year and type of Toyota or non Toyota engine

- any other facts relevant to this assistance tech thread , i am, happy to help , but facts first and photos help alot too

- why are / did you have the gears off to begin with ?

- for all we know its a 1978 B engine in the Saudi Spec region , and your out in the middle down town in the Emerites ?

NON USA Siamese F maybe

facts facts facts ...........

then help and concrete advice from folks will come

sorry to be frank , but you need to hear this for your own well being

with only good intentions to help others

kinly matt :)

if you don't pause and take note of the well intended input of everyone here , including me about STOP and get a OEM Factory TOYOTA Material Print Media edition ..............

you will regret snapping a cam or worse causing excessive compression pressure from a longer then normal VALVES Closed duration , during TDC compression firing stroke , the back fire could TRASH all you invested thus far ?

lets also stop and back peddle here too ?

- year make model land cruiser

- year and type of Toyota or non Toyota engine

- any other facts relevant to this assistance tech thread , i am, happy to help , but facts first and photos help alot too

- why are / did you have the gears off to begin with ?

- for all we know its a 1978 B engine in the Saudi Spec region , and your out in the middle down town in the Emerites ?

NON USA Siamese F maybe

facts facts facts ...........

then help and concrete advice from folks will come

sorry to be frank , but you need to hear this for your own well being

with only good intentions to help others

kinly matt :)
what he ∆∆ said! Post #6 informed you where to find the FSM. To the right of calendar...

what he ∆∆ said! Post #6 informed you where to find the FSM. To the right of calendar...

i suggested a PRINT MEDIA Original paper Version

pdf is always missing pages or data in my experience ?

thanks for the post ^ tip ill check it out

matt :)

All good advise above. And "THIS" recent thread may also help.

Thank you for pointing me to the Toyota FSM. i had been looking for this via google but had not found any good copies that were legible and had all pages. it will help a lot.

I have downloaded the 2F service manual. i had no idea about the "resource tab" so thanks for pointing that out.
As for Facts:
-1977 FJ40
- vehicle identification Number: FJ40-254148
-Stock 2F engine

side note: have been doing a full frame off restoration over the last couple months. so right now absolutely everything is out of the vehicle. i am working on engine rebuild and have the top end at the machine shop now getting valve job. will be reinstalling with OEM Head Gasket.

i suggested a PRINT MEDIA Original paper Version

pdf is always missing pages or data in my experience ?

thanks for the post ^ tip ill check it out

matt :)
Sorry to beat a dead horse @ToyotaMatt , I know I saw you had posted the phone # for the Original Print version FSM somewhere, but I can't find it. Can you post it again please?
The resource button at top led me to nowhere.
Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom