Howdy. Finally, legitimately on the thread :) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Morning all. I was finally able to pull it off and land a cruiser. It’s been so long in the making it hardly feels real. I landed a rig here locally in SWMT (which I felt fortunate about), ‘82fj40. While the rig is in solid shape and appears mostly original, short of a few add ons. The one that’s had me the most puzzled are the wood slats on the hood. The previous owner states they were on when he purchased it, which I believe was roughly 20yr ago. I have not seen this before. I do not love it. Luckily, my wife likes them. I promised her I give it a month to see if they grow on me. All I can think about is taking them off and the patching and painting of the 32 bolt holes on this hood and trying not to muck it up :)
Thoughts?
I couldn’t be happier to be here. It’s a glorious day :)

74481346-1FC5-44DA-A479-007549A239CB.jpeg

Congratulations on your new rig. It looks pretty clean from the photo but the wood slats are a puzzler. Chances are good you won’t see another one just like it driving by. Best of luck with it and hope to see you out on the trails/road!

Welcome! Very nice 40!

The slats are vortex generators installed to straiten the air flow on the hood and reduce turbulence during high speed travel...;)

Welcome! Very nice 40!

The slats are vortex generators installed to straiten the air flow on the hood and reduce turbulence during high speed travel...;)
Right? WTF ;)

Seriously though. I have to say, the previous owner took very good care of it. I appreciate that. The deal was fair and I had a good idea of what I was walking into. In the big picture the work ahead of me is minor (relatively) and currently nothing that HAS to be done.
thanks again all. I sure look forward to seeing y’all on the trail or at the fishing hole :)
It is a good day :)

Maybe the slats are there to allow walking on the hood for loading stuff on the roof? Of course without a roof rack that doesn't seem too likely.

Thought I’d try an update after almost the first month, so here we go:
Found a good local fella to work on the hood for me. He filled the 16 holes and painted. Did a nice job. He had the hood for a couple weeks so during that time I changed the oil (filter was basically welded on, been over 4yrs since x) spark plugs, diffs, man trans fluid, transfer case fluid (Added a bypass hose, needed it), zerks, grease steering knuckles, replace back seatbelts (one was broken and have kids and a wife that worries ;)), gas pedal pad, removed the gun rack bolted to the floor (for sale if someone interested), filled the six holes w quick steel, went ahead and replaced the two hood gaskets while hood was off. I think that’s basically it. All I could do while waiting. Honestly all I know how to do ;). Got hood back yesterday and she’s finally rolling. Whew. Took wifey to top of Langhor this eve. Was just super. I did order 033 for the Bezel from O’Reillys. I know it’s a touch tanner than the roof, but it’s damn close and I can use it on the roof rain gutter. Let me know if this is a mistake. I think it will work well and be close to original color. Here a couple pics for the update:

A0215455-87D6-4E63-9CD6-815563801F0C.jpeg

04763E31-A33D-411B-8EA7-8ECA159C9A31.jpeg

B039CBBF-F796-4184-8C06-C9FC67144108.jpeg

65A5DF74-58EE-4D8F-8296-472DD806AAFD.jpeg

8D4F2E1F-4F11-4453-B0CC-715DECDEEE1D.jpeg

Forgot to mention, saw a nice green 40 coming up the canyon as we were exiting.
fog lights, and some diamond plating on rear ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom