2023 40's Only Run planning thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
EDIT!!
IT'S ON! THIS SATURDAY 6/17/23.

Saturday meetup spot is Town Pump in Boulder at 10am

(that's 0-10 hundred if I got that right). Can't really miss it. But if you need coordinates: 46.24407, -112.11690
Let's all try to meetup at the Town Pump. Get gas, have coffee, wait for other 40s to meander into town. I'm not expecting a parade of 40's but let's face it, some of us may need a little time to get to town, and quart of oil and cuppa Joe (and probably a number 2) when we make it. We can all air down there. Only a few hundred feet of pavement and it's all dirt from there on.

@pigmony is correct. Trail starts a little East of town here: 46.22881, -112.06931
So if you're running really late, or like to get a head start, you can catch the wagon trail there around 10:15 or so.

Here's the important part. Bring a radio. Ham 146.460. GMRS/FRS channel 7. Can't find us? Running late? Need a new voltage regulator (@bagochips76), then radio up. We'll be on the horn. @pigmony and I are Ham snobs (same with @elkun1) so that's probably the best. For those of you who have my cell number, we'll have reception in Boulder. For those of you who need my cell number, send me a PM.

Other stuff.
1. If you're coming, let us know and post up so we can expect you (and wait for you). 40's Only Run is about hangin' out together, no man left behind. If you have troubles, no worries, you're among friends. And if your Autobahn limit is 45, no worries. Take your time, have fun getting to town.
2. If you're camping. Post up. Not required but could be fun. I will be camping either solo or with at least one passenger Friday night, maybe Saturday. Let's not complicate the run with a long list of camping spots. But post up if you're camping and join others. (I'll be South of Boulder, will add to next post). Maybe you can even crash in @3_puppies back yard amongst the 45's and absorb some history.
3. If you're on the fence, please join. This is one of the funnest things you can do with your 40. Nothing can compare to wheelin' your 40, with other 40's. It's rad!
4. Read the previous posts about McCarty Creek. @JohnnyOshow22 says it's fun and doable stock, with a few fun sections for the more advanced. There will be stockers, and not stockers on our trip. (Did I mention my 62.5 rear horsepower dyno-pull?)
5. Standard trail equipment is expected. Fire extinguisher, working e-brake (if you're lucky), radio, spare, etc. Read this as a disclaimer to bring a rig that is trail ready. But also realize there will be air compressors and other misc gear abound, so if you don't have everything OK4WD has in their catalog, don't sweat it. I always forget something.
6. End of the trail is up in the Elkhorns. I will round out the day with a trip to Elkhorn Ghost Town. I'm sure others will too, but the end of the day and the route home is gonna happen organically (no plans made).
7. Kid friendly, dog friendly. We're all friendly.

I'll add the above info to the first post and a loose headcount. See you Saturday!

Headcount for Saturday run:
@90WT
@pigmony
@ZooTownCruiser
@rkymtnflyfisher
@Dave406

Pretty sure they're in but need confirmation:
@elkun1

A solid maybe:
@3_puppies

How about it? There's quite a few 40's in the club.
Throw out some suggestions on trails and dates. Let's get the gang together!
#lifelooksbetterthroughaflatwindshield

IMG-8361.jpg

Last edited:
I'm in for a 40's run! Just give me enough lead time to plan around tiny human care.

Open weekends: June 17/18 and July 1/2. Chime in.

Club functions on the calendar, and possibly not yet on the 406 Cruisers website calendar.
June 13th meeting
June 24/25th Club Run: Jellison area
July 15/16: Club Run: Blue Lake
July 22: Saturday Club meeting in East Helena (Brewery)
Aug 8: meeting
Aug 12/13: Club Run: Hellroaring area
Aug 19/20: Club Run: Goose Lake area
Sept 16: Saturday, Club members only BBQ at Bridger Bowl.

@elkun1 You are the most knowledgable for trails. Anything in particular you want to subject us to? You picked a good one last time.

I was looking at Highland Lookout Tower (Red Mountain) since it appears to have an epic view. I've never been up to the Elkhorn Skyline Mine, is it worth it? Your pics of McCarty Creek also looked fun.

That's a pretty packed schedule for most of the summer already. Looks like you guys get out a bit over there.

I vote for June 17 somewhere around the Boulder area. That's still a bit of a trek for @rkymtnflyfisher, but I've heard he sometimes takes off early on Fridays and camps out when the fishing might be good.

I like the idea of the Elkhorn Skyline Mine (6.5 miles out and back) Class 3.0

The Little Boulder Road Trail is also in that area (9.5 miles out and back) Class 2.5

The Rock Creek Trail/Leadville Trail sounds like a good time(20.2 mile loop) Class 3.0

elkhorn has a nice lineup shot easy peasy but kinda narrow in spots for racing stripes. but good photo opps

Also if anyone has a spare seat and im in town for when you guys schedule it id love to ride along and play paparazzi

Is there a place that I could park a truck and trailer local? Maybe I'll trailer my 40 over and run the trails if it's possible to drop my tow rig.

Is there a place that I could park a truck and trailer local? Maybe I'll trailer my 40 over and run the trails if it's possible to drop my tow rig.
Absolutely. I'll even throw in an offer for dinner and brews if you make it East.

do you think you need to ask? lots of room at my place.

We were pasving near Jefferson City last week and thought about the road to Tizer Lakes, as an option. I was taliking to a few guys on the crew and they thought the side by sides have been doing a number on the road and there could be some body damage in a rig. I don't know the current condition of the road. A known easier route might be a better choice without scouting.

McCarty Crk would be a good one as long as you don't take the route Johnny and i took, but if you do there's plenty of area to spectate. It's narrow but shouldn't be a problem with a 40, if you take a full size pu thru it you will probably need a lot of touch up paint. you end up outside of elkhorn so that could be included but would be a long day, what do you think Johnny?
Paul, I havent had time to thank you for the hood. it will be put to use. from what i've heard the sxs's have really done a number on the tizer rd. they're going to get everything shut down eventually if they keep this up.

McCarty Crk would be a good one as long as you don't take the route Johnny and i took, but if you do there's plenty of area to spectate. It's narrow but shouldn't be a problem with a 40, if you take a full size pu thru it you will probably need a lot of touch up paint. you end up outside of elkhorn so that could be included but would be a long day, what do you think Johnny?
Paul, I havent had time to thank you for the hood. it will be put to use. from what i've heard the sxs's have really done a number on the tizer rd. they're going to get everything shut down eventually if they keep this up.
Full send! That was a fun fairly easy day and mild to more wild can have fun on that trail

Adding it to my calendar right now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom