How to tell the difference between F145 and F155? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jvincig01

SILVER Star
Threads
First, YES, I tried searching...now, my question...

How do I tell if I have a F145 or a F155? I have 69 FJ40 and the block reads F 258760.

Are there any characteristics that can tell me what I have?

Not a single reply to this? Nobody knows?

...via IH8MUD app

oil filler in the valve cover =155
oil filler on side = 145

oil filler in the valve cover =155
oil filler on side = 145

I use to think this but seen too many 70/71 with F155 on the valve cover and oil filler off the block. The F145 have a wide intake if the last thru the 71 after which time the oil filler moved to the valve cover. Carburator changed with the 70 model so that may the start of the F155. Don't believe the 3/69 to 9/69 two barrel caused the change.

Yep my 2/71 is one that had the F155 sticker on the valve cover and the side oil filler. If there ever is a second owner of my truck they are really going to be confused when they pop the hood... 2F valve cover with oil filler, oil filler on block, FJ60 dizzy and igniter... 1F alternator with the front cover being a 2F to fit the 2F bracket, 2F fan and shroud but 1F radiator...

The designation is SUPPOSED to correlate to horsepower. Toyota changed the F engine from the flat-top piston to the dome-top in January 1972, so that is when I peg the date for the introduction of the F155.

Best

Mark A.

Just picked up this 40, Nov 1969 build date. Was shocked to see the F155 sticker on the side because I had assumed it would be a F145 as it was before the domed pistons. Is this correct or did a PO swap something? The guy I bought it off only had it for two years and couldnt tell me much. Thanks!

Engine1.jpg
Engine2.jpg
Engine3.jpg

Engine4.jpg

Engine5.jpg

Toyota switched from a one barrel carburetor to a two barrel carburetor in 3/69. Then to another style two barrel carburetor 9/69. Wonder if either of those were the reason Toyota changed the sub model number on the F engine?:meh:

Just a swapped valve cover. 155 wouldn't have an oil filler tube.

Just a swapped valve cover. 155 wouldn't have an oil filler tube.

Awesome thanks! PO was trying to tell me it was all original and this didnt make sense. That is no big deal then because I'm about to swap it for a cast aluminum one off a 2F (push in style).

I am guessing that distributor is swapped as well?

Just picked up this 40, Nov 1969 build date. Was shocked to see the F155 sticker on the side because I had assumed it would be a F145 as it was before the domed pistons. Is this correct or did a PO swap something? The guy I bought it off only had it for two years and couldnt tell me much. Thanks!

View attachment 1289806 View attachment 1289807 View attachment 1289808
View attachment 1289809

View attachment 1289810

I see the valve cover didn't have a oil fill cap on top at the front. Once the side oil fill tube went away the fill was on the valve cover. Seen the F155 sticker on valve covers without the fill cap.

Very confused, the '71 40 I purchased in '72 had the oil fill on the side of the block. So what engine was it? Also, the current 40 I have now is a '70 with the oil fill on the side.

I have an original engine October 71 build with the oil fill on top of the valve cover.

image.jpg

Oct. 71 would be a 72 model which had oil fill in the valve cover. Would also have a one piece hood, stamped louvers in the side of cowl which were 72 model changes.

Correct on all counts for my rig. Seems others have 72 builds with oil fill on the block.

@ryanwk628 this would be a F155

My 71 RHD has the oil filler on the block and I believe that it is an original F155 as when I bought it that was the sticker that was on the valve cover. Maybe there were different setups for different markets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom