How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes (20 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Has anyone successfully used the M1/m2 UTM recently? That image has an unlicensed version. I see that there is a second one in the start menu but both prompt for a key

Okay I got the UTM image to work. In the program files/tech stream/bin there is a patch.

So I was able to upgrade my techstream to version 18, still not able to access the VGRS on the vehicle. I’ve read where it can be related to the cable. Not sure on that end, any users on here able to access the VGRS system using the mini j2534 cable? Thanks

I bought one of these after trying the cables: Amazon product ASIN B078N34ZPW The cables worked for me once or 2x and it stopped working. I did some tests on the cable when it stopped working and it said it was not recognizing 2 of the 4 wires or something to that effect. Luckily I was in the return window and I was able to get a refund. I have been using this VXDIAG one for about 2 months and have zero issues. I love that I can connect wirelessly. I plug in the device, walk over to my garage work desk and use the laptop there. It's much sturdier than the cables. The ODB port is not in a good location. I used to struggle pulling out the little cable and scratch my fingers up each time. Not a big deal but annoying. Its one of those, you get what you pay for and one I said I should have just spent the money the first time. Its Amazon, buy it and return it if you don't like it. Good luck.

Anyone tried this with a Mac M1/M2?

So I was able to upgrade my techstream to version 18, still not able to access the VGRS on the vehicle. I’ve read where it can be related to the cable. Not sure on that end, any users on here able to access the VGRS system using the mini j2534 cable? Thanks
Can you share how you performed the update? Was it on the original image file provided in this thread?

I ran a cable check on a new adapter and received results that say three of the lines are NG. I can read data ok, but I have been unable to do anything else. Is this normal or do I have a bad cable?
IMG_3570.jpeg

I ran a cable check on a new adapter and received results that say three of the lines are NG. I can read data ok, but I have been unable to do anything else. Is this normal or do I have a bad cable?View attachment 3340343
Has anyone ever run the cable test in Techstream? I got the results shown above and an trying to determine if the cable is bad of it it is a software issue. I can read codes and erase codes, but I don't know if I can write anything. I've typed the VIN number several times and it never seems to remember it. Is that normal?
Thanks for any guidance.

Has anyone ever run the cable test in Techstream? I got the results shown above and an trying to determine if the cable is bad of it it is a software issue. I can read codes and erase codes, but I don't know if I can write anything. I've typed the VIN number several times and it never seems to remember it. Is that normal?
Thanks for any guidance.
Thats not normal, it always auto detects my VIN/ vehicle.
I haven't run a cable test but will soon.

Has anyone had success reading live data? (Sorry if this has been covered, I read the first 12 or so pages of the thread so far)

I'm many many hours in and I can do all the normal changes and updates to TPMS rest codes etc, but I get a fatal error every time I try to read engine data.

I've installed the latest TIS on my computer and had the issue, so I just did the VM and I'm still having the same exact issue.

I wonder if its a problem with the cable I'm using. I think it was a amazon cable, I got cheap.

If anyone's got the live data to work what cable did you use, and anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks,

I ran a cable check on a new adapter and received results that say three of the lines are NG. I can read data ok, but I have been unable to do anything else. Is this normal or do I have a bad cable?View attachment 3340343
I had a cable that worked to read data like TPMS info the first time I used it. It then stopped working and I got these same errors about 3 of these NG. Unfortunately, I never ran this test before the failure so I don't know what it looks like before. These Chinese cables are very fragile and I am not surprised if they stopped working after a few uses. Look at my previous post on VXDIAG. I am so much happier with my new solution. Much more sturdier. It cost 2x but is worth not dealing with the headache of these fragile cables. Luckily I was able to get a full refund on my cable. If you are not able to spend the extra, I would suggest being super careful not to bend it and such. (This is just a guess based on my experience and I don't have any scientific proof)

Getting Techstream up and running can be a bit of a pain. Hopefully this helps someone get started quickly.

Step 1: Purchase an OBD-II / Mini-VCI interface.
- I have sold out of my cables and supply chains are back in order, so no reason to purchase more. Anything like this will work: Mini-VCI cable on eBay

Step 2: Download Hypervisor
Step 3: Install Software You Just Downloaded
  • Windows: Double-Click downloaded file
  • MacOS:
    • Intel Mac: Double-Click downloaded file, run installer
    • M1/M2 Mac: Double-Click downloaded file, drag to Applications folder

Step 4: Download TechStream Image:
- Windows / Intel Mac: LINK
- M1/M2 Mac: LINK

Step 5: Double-Click downloaded file.

Connect & Enjoy.

:santa:

-g

Edit (04/08/18): I removed the more expensive cable, as I received a new Mini-VCI cable that works 100% at 1/4 the cost.
Edit (02/28/21): Updated links to new versions of Virtualbox & new link to cheap Mini-VCI cable
Edit (10/30/22): M1 Compatible workflow / updated virtualbox links
Excellent work!! Have you or someone else done the same thing for the Honda HDS HIS software/program?

I just used this to program the smart key card from Lexus for my 2021 GX. It worked great! Only thing is, this is techstream 12 and works for vehicles up to 2018...
I just entered my vehicle as a 2018 GX and luckily it has mostly the same computers, but is there a way to update the image?

Getting Techstream up and running can be a bit of a pain. Hopefully this helps someone get started quickly.

Step 1: Purchase an OBD-II / Mini-VCI interface.
- I have sold out of my cables and supply chains are back in order, so no reason to purchase more. Anything like this will work: Mini-VCI cable on eBay

Step 2: Download Hypervisor
Step 3: Install Software You Just Downloaded
  • Windows: Double-Click downloaded file
  • MacOS:
    • Intel Mac: Double-Click downloaded file, run installer
    • M1/M2 Mac: Double-Click downloaded file, drag to Applications folder

Step 4: Download TechStream Image:
- Windows / Intel Mac: LINK
- M1/M2 Mac: LINK

Step 5: Double-Click downloaded file.

Connect & Enjoy.

:santa:

-g

Edit (04/08/18): I removed the more expensive cable, as I received a new Mini-VCI cable that works 100% at 1/4 the cost.
Edit (02/28/21): Updated links to new versions of Virtualbox & new link to cheap Mini-VCI cable
Edit (10/30/22): M1 Compatible workflow / updated virtualbox links
What if I have a laptop with windows xp 32 home or professional version. What do I download. From what step do I proceed. Do I just download tech stream and just plug he cable and go or what? Thanks

If anyone is using their techstream in the next few days, could you please run your live data at start up and report back what your steering angle reads before driving? I’m having some issues after a new steering rack install. Mine will show 1150 upon start up, then will zero out after driving above 25mph. I’ve done a ZPC a few times and am still getting this. Thank you!

Hi guys,
I am looking for a more up to date version of tech stream than the 12 i have. My truck is a UK spec 2023 Toyota Hilux Invincible X with the 2,8 diesel auto.
I have the cable and the software downloaded etc but my vehicle must be too new for the software version, can anyone help ?

Received it, updated it, and..... IT WORKS!! Thank you for the recommendation.
View attachment 3314563

Correct, this is the cable/interface between your computer and the vehicle. Still need TechStream.

Great information. The screen shot shows it set up for your 1998 LX470. I am trying to reset the VRS on my 2000 model. Does this dongle give you access to enable this? The set up on yout 2001LX looks awesome. Best

Great information. The screen shot shows it set up for your 1998 LX470. I am trying to reset the VRS on my 2000 model. Does this dongle give you access to enable this? The set up on yout 2001LX looks awesome. Best
Sorry. I meant VSC

Thank you getco for posting the links and info.
I have techstream up and running. I have a 2007 Tacoma and want to bleed ABS but pop up says not available for this vehicle. Is this true or am I doing something wrong?

additional info, the program loads the vehicle information and correct vin and other features appear to be working.

Last edited:
I downloaded TechStream 18, but it wants a key. What am I missing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom