how to remove the tar under the carpet??? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:crybaby: :crybaby: I was planning on painting my whole floor with the hurculiner but, underneath the carpet is tar. I hope everyone knows how nasty this s*** is. I need to romove it or find another option for flooring. Help I really want to remove the stuff. It has to be clean to. If there is not a fairly painless way to do it, I'll just put down some brown and black astro turf over the damn tar. any help please!!

if you have an air compressor get an air hammer with the chisel tip on it and start going to town. that stuff will come up in huge chunks with very little damage to the floor. just hold the air hammer at about a 45 to the egde and cablammo

It's best to get the tar as cold as possiable before you start. This can mean waiting until January to do the job, or packing dry ice on top of it.

Once it's VERY cold the tar will basically break off in pieces instead of the gooey mess it is when it's warm.

If you don't have a hammer chisel readily available, just go to your local hardwear store and p/up a heavy duty flat scrapper with an edge on it. Along with a hammer. You now have a crude hammer chisel. Apply elbow grease & paint thinner, & vauwla your ready for Linex.

tar? mine was carpet, pad and glued down to some type of insulation board which was glued to the floor board. my insulation board is fiberglass maybe?
no tar though.... :confused:

I have to do mine at some point. I've had my carpet out for a while and have noticed that the tar has messed up my back seat. With the seats folded down, the back seat rests on the tarred floor. The tar gets hot and gets on your seat. It has a SOR Tuff Duck cover on it but it still sucks. I have 13 small tar spots where the floor "ribs" are.
Corbet said:
I got my girlfriend to do it, but she did not complain, so it must have been easy.
You're my new hero. If I even dreamt of asking my girl to help me w/ the Cruiser, she'd start laughing profusely and walk away. Was your girl drunk or drugged? :flipoff2:

Corbet said:
heat gun and a craftsman gasket scraper took it right off the floor of my 40. Well I got my girlfriend to do it, but she did not complain, so it must have been easy.

If you use roofies to get your significant other to help you with your truck instead of for sex, you might be a Cruiserhead

:D

go buy 20 lbs of dry ice in sheets. place it about the tarred areas with gloves. let it sit in a well ventialte area for 20 minutes. remove dry ice and strike the tar with a hammer. I have had it off sections in minutes. seriously took much longer to get the dry ice and wait while it cooled off the tar, in comparison to the time required once it was cold enough.

cruiserbrett said:
go buy 20 lbs of dry ice in sheets. place it about the tarred areas with gloves. let it sit in a well ventialte area for 20 minutes. remove dry ice and strike the tar with a hammer. I have had it off sections in minutes. seriously took much longer to get the dry ice and wait while it cooled off the tar, in comparison to the time required once it was cold enough.

Yeah, but where the hell ya gonna get dry ice???

Seriously, I can't think of anywhere in/near Spokane of near my folk's place north of Seattle...

Try a place that ships medications to doctor's offices. or maybe a lab?
Think places that have to ship stuff cold - maybe even high end seafood places. I know in Boston you can ship lobsters anywhere in the world. I think they use dry ice, but am not certain.

Just a few thoughts.

Jason

Good God ya'll make it hard. Boogie had it right in his answer, just an air chisel and 6-7 minutes per side. You don't need it cold, it'll be hard as hell anyway, I've done it buncha times in the middle of summer here in the desert. And, if you don't have a compressor, you aint a cruiserhead!

...or you could fly to the north pole, ship your cruiser and tools. then remove the tar up there....

seriously, do the air hammer method! if you don't have a compressor and plan to work on a cruiser or any other car for that matter, you should really get one. I use that thing everytime I am in the garage whether I am working on a car or not (better than a broom anyday!) and they are really pretty affordable. I bought a 6hp(I think???) with a set of air tools for $300 new.

Texx said:
Good God ya'll make it hard. Boogie had it right in his answer, just an air chisel and 6-7 minutes per side. You don't need it cold, it'll be hard as hell anyway, I've done it buncha times in the middle of summer here in the desert. And, if you don't have a compressor, you aint a cruiserhead!

Absolutely. Don't need dry ice. I took mine off, from the tailgate to the firewall in about 20-25 mins with nothing but an air hammer with flat chisel attachment. I did it when it was about 90 degrees, too. Lifts right off, no residue. Noting but clean (in my case some rusted) metal underneath. fix the rust, degrease and clean it, then you're ready for POR-15, Rhinoliners, whatever you like.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom