How Much Does Your 80 Weigh? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

5470#

front MT bumper, winch, MT sliders, creeper skidplate, rear 4x4labs bumper (no swingouts), 3rd seats removed.

Fully loaded + my tiny wife, and me.
Lexus LX450 1996

4” lift
ARB bumper
Warn 9.5 XP winch
Double battery

4x4 lab bumper
3 jerry cans
ARB freezer
others (camping stuff)

Ipor Skid plate
Rock slider

front 3100 lbs
rear 3780 lbs
total = 6840 lbs

I always wondered about adding all this weight to the vehicle. All the add-ons look super sweet but just add more and more weight and the MPG goes even further down. Does anyone actually go anywhere more than a few hundred miles? It costs an outrageous amount of $$ ...fun as hell but wow!
That being said. I am planning a trip to the deserts of southern New Mexico from Minneapolis next month and, maybe I just answered my previous questions, I just save more $ for gas because it will be so worth it once I am out in BLM land going basically anywhere I want.

Extra weight does more than impact MPG's. It makes for a less capable truck in all situations and increases the likelihood of drivetrain damage.

There has to be a balance somewhere...where is going to be different for everyone.

Finally hit the scales today and thought I'd post.
6020 lbs.

ARB w/ warn 12K
dual g31 odysseys
Kaymar dual swing out (tire carrier only currently)
285 goodyear mtr + spare
IPOR sliders and skid/tranny plate
3/4 length roof rack
full tank.

I was out of the truck due to their rules so I saw the read out. The guy was kinda surprised as was I when I guessed I'd be just a hair over 6K.

I always wondered about adding all this weight to the vehicle. All the add-ons look super sweet but just add more and more weight and the MPG goes even further down. Does anyone actually go anywhere more than a few hundred miles? It costs an outrageous amount of $$ ...fun as hell but wow!
That being said. I am planning a trip to the deserts of southern New Mexico from Minneapolis next month and, maybe I just answered my previous questions, I just save more $ for gas because it will be so worth it once I am out in BLM land going basically anywhere I want.
Yup 5 or 6 thousand mile trip nearly every year.. To keep the weight down we pull a very light off road excursion trailer,, all the heavy stuff, gas, water, cooler, etc is on the trailer, and a full galley in the rear... We usually set up base camp then hike and wheel from it for a couple days, then move on to the next base camp.. So yes,, there are many folks using these 80's for long range excursions..

...via IH8MUD app

5680 mostly stock with 32" mud tires, extra skid plates, half a ton of the usual crap in the back. That new-to-me Ramsey 12000# winch will up things a bit once I get it put in!

I'm at 6080 lbs. Lots of extra steel...

2998 kg or 6609 lbs.

1996, ARB bumper, 8000 lbs winch, some water, some fuel, food, camping gear, recovery gear, tools, CVT fiberglass RTT, girlfriend. 32" tires.

I'm getting 15 mpg with *very* careful driving.

3460kg / 7630lb
ARB, Warn XP, 5“ lift, 37“, diesel 350 l / 92,5 gal , water 120 l / 31,7 gal, engel, spare, 3 solar panels, 3. batterie, tools, camping gear, 2 P + dog, food for 20 days...

18723470jt.jpg

18723471vp.jpg

Gad damn...that's a nice rig HDJ82!!

3460kg / 7630lb
ARB, Warn XP, 5“ lift, 37“, diesel 350 l / 92,5 gal , water 120 l / 31,7 gal, engel, spare, 3 solar panels, 3. batterie, tools, camping gear, 2 P + dog, food for 20 days...

18723470jt.jpg

18723471vp.jpg
Damn that's 1 wicked rig!!!!

'96 e-locked
315 R16 Nitto trails w/ full size spare in rear cargo area
Ironman front bumper and 12k winch w/ synthetic line.
Very light aluminum roof rack (29lb) with some water cans currently empty (about 10 lb)
Third row seats in
3/4 tank gas
Rear bumper in progress but its all aluminum, so about 60 lb on now and another 40 when its done.
Removed rear tire crank and brackets underneath and trailer hitch. (in prep for new bumper)
Some tools and stuff in the back right now but I typically carry another 80 lb.
no people in it

5655lb total
2980lb frt
2675lb rear

I'm trying to keep everything as light as possible, that's why everything I'm fabricating is aluminum.
I'm a little disappointed with where it is currently as I wanted to keep it under 6K when finished but with all the stuff I still want to do I don't think its gonna happen.

Bumping a good thread. Just got back form dump scales

1994 FZJ80
TJM aluminum bumper
Warn M12000 synthetic line
Dual batt
9" hella and 40" light bar
Full leanth gamaviti rack
PIOR sliders
Bump It OFF Road skid plate
4X4 Labs rear dual swing out rear bumper with ladder
Hi Lift
285/75/15 STT PRO
some small stuff like compressor, ham, inverter
sleeping platform no 2nd or third row seats
Full tank

5,803 pounds

I didnt have the back half of the sleeping platform in order to make room for my dump trash. So i am probably 5850 full tank at baseline with out tools.

Not sure about current weight but it is pretty heavy. You can see what I have on it in the block below plus I carry about 500 lbs of tools and spare parts. It can run about 100 lbs heavier when I carry three 5 gallon cans in the Slee gas can rack on the bumper. At some point I will likely add a roof rack and a roof top tent which will add additional weight. My gas mileage probably averages close to 10 MPG. I have had the truck since 1997 with only 20K miles on it. It only got about 13 MPG in the city and 16 on the highway in a stock configuration and I think it weighed 6470 lbs before I started modifying it. I have added several hundred pounds of armor and tools plus the bigger, heavier tires hence the lower mileage.

IMG_0825.JPG

Hey folks, my rig tipped the scales at 6640 lbs.

Front: 2920
Rear: 3720

This was fully loaded for a 9,000 mile trip. Food, water, jerry cans, armor, winch, tools, recovery gear, everything.

6900 lbs dressed for road trip.
fr.rear 4x4labs bumper
spare 37in mud grappler
frontrunner slimline'
hardshell rtt
supercharger
170ah of batteries
rear drawr\fridge
spare parts
tools
recovery
12k winch