How many pumps in the cold? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MrMoMo

That's not rust, it's Canadian patina...
Threads
OK, so I tried to start my "New" '76 40 this morning. Was plugged in all night, it was about -10C. Pulled choke out all the way, gave two pumps and then rolled her over. Nothing. pumped two more rolled over, nothing. (each time was rolling for about 10 seconds) Thought maybe I had flooded it, so I floored it, cranked again - nothing. Went inside and ate breakfast to let it "un-flood" if it was. Came back out and tried again. Gave a few pumps, cranked - nothing.

Drove my Tacoma to work.

Came home and tried it again with some advice from the PO and a second batt hooked up in paralell. Still nothing. Then tried with the choke 1/2 way in. Seemed to roll over a bit easier, then finally sputtered and caught.

So, my question is, (and I know it will be different for each truck... is there a "chart" somewhere of how many pedal pumps vs. choke position at given cold temperatres?

I am sure there is just a knack I have not gotten used to, but I need to get used to it FAST!! this is going to be my DD.

Thanks!

Congradulations on your new cruiser!

Get her tuned up, new plugs, wires, rotor, cap, clean carb, replace fuel filter.

Set yer vac and timing.

New battery.

Replace oil and filter.

Check your compression.

Make sure your heat riser is operating properly

Rub her softly often...

She'll start right up full choke, 2 quick 1/2 pumps on the gas when its cold. When it's colder than a witches teet, she may take a little longer to crank but she'll catch.

Ok, 3-1/2 hrs after last startup (it's now -5.5C) 4 pumps, 1/2 choke Started up within 4 seconds (maybe 3 turnovers?) - block heater still pluged in. (have started giving dash a rub before turning key)

Will update and try to make database, any input of other peoples methods would be apreciated!

My 1975 owners manual actually covers this. It gives a temperature range correlated to # of pumps and choke position. Go figure. 'Course, cold for me is 0 deg C, not -10. At freezing, full choke and 1-2 pumps starts mine within 2 seconds, reliably.

Based on having to start more Cruisers than I can count, many of them rigs I am not personally familiar with, I've developed this approach.

Warm... three or four full (slow) pumps and then start cranking with the pedal NOT depressed and push it slowly down as the engine cranks.

Real cold... 10-15 pumps and choke full out start cranking with the pedal NOT depressed...

Temps in between, adjust accordingly.

It is almost impossible to flood a 2F.

If the engine "kicks" or "grumbles" but doesn't catch and start... You've burned up the fuel you pushed through the accelrator pump, so work the pedal all over again and start from scratch.

Pumping the pedal as you crank is not effective. Since the air is being pulled through as you try to prime it, you never achieve the overly rich mixture that you're trying reach to get it to start.

Mark...

Yeah, when it's warm it's just 2 pumps, cold and I need a few pumps and few cranks.

Obviously you guys havn't come across this handy little tool. Talk about variables, sheeesh.

:flipoff2:
PUMP CHART.JPG

I think the chart is great. It looks like, from the chart that since my truck is blue, I should be pumping the accelerator pedal an average of 20 pumps when the temperature is nice and warm. LOL! Good job, HawkDriver.

2 pumps normal temperature, three when its cold. If I have driven it the last couple of days usually turns over. If it has sat in the cold for long, sometimes it wont start the first two times. THEN, I push the choke back in and it will turn over. I think it does get too much gas after a few tries with choke out.

Three pumps, two rubs on the dashboard, and a hail mary usually works for me

I love that chart but...my truck was originally beige and is now silver, which line do I use? Seiously, if it is below freezing I use full choke and 2-3 pumps, if it is way below freezing I use 5-8 pumps and it always starts in a couple of seconds of cranking.

One pump no choke, she fires up and is good to go! Even at 0 degrees this year. A mark's carb rebuild is VERY much worth it.

Install an universal pump equalizer w/the auto-elevation option, and you ONLY pump once and never use the CHOKE again (sorry, but only works w/gas engines) :D

HH,
manny
msd6a.jpg

MSD huh? Manny what year are you running? On a 2F? any mods needed? I am always having to use my choke (even in warm weather). This unit keeps a constant charge to the plugs right?

you can run an MSD w/points, but I would recommend going Electronic Ign.

To be honest, I don't know what made the biggest difference HEI or the MSD box?
Anyone running HEI w/o MSD, and visa-versa?

I installed both onto my 1F at once and never looked back :D
checkout ebay, you can pickup a 6a for under $100.

I run a Non-USA Points type distributor.
Desmogged carb.
stock ignition.

I pull the choke all the way out.
Pump the gas pedal once.
Touch the key
Truck lights off.
I push the choke half way in
Drive away.

Timing, carbureation, and properly adjusted points are the key.

Mine fires up with choke assistance...relatively eas. But while driving down the road....until it is warm... I have to pull the choke out a few more times to keep the fuel flowing...

How do I get a dashed paint coloUr? (are those Canadian colours vs US colors?)

my 4 slow pumps 1/2 choke seems to be working alright - worked 4 times today, temp ranging from -3C with block heater to - 5 without block heater. Go figure.

Thanks for the support and the handy reference chart!

I'd pull the choke out all the way, give it two pumps and hold it too the floor and it would usualy fire up in a couple seconds, if not i would give it a few seconds to rest and try it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom